shotat

What are the Uproars about WTS/Mike Mullins Emails going around

Hey Mike, Just out of curiosity, why did you stop doing the $99 & $10 Boogies?>:( Gas, Insurance, Competition, Inflation, etc....????? Never really did hear from anyone why you stopped, just one day it didnt exist anymore. Also, is the strip really paved, no more pushing the plane out of the mud from when it slides sideways on the runway??? ;) Inquiring mind wants to know.

***How come all the rich kids get to make all of the jumps?***

Mike,
I don't know you and I've never jumped with you; but, if you did that for me, I'd be very grateful. Probably buy two cases of beer and a few pizzas for everyone.
If the guy is not smart enough to want a recurrency jump or two after 11 years off, he's obviously not smart enough to know when people are looking out for him. I would just chalk it up to expereince and let it pass.
If I ever have the opportunity, I'll come jump with you guys.

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

We will be operating at our winter location, Skydive Taft, Taft, CA from Dec 6 thru March. See: http://www.skydivekingair.com
Thanks,
Mike

Amazon is scurrying around looking for maps to Taft CA..to escape this incessant RAIN in Seattle. I have been hearing about this certain rocketship I want to climb aboard..

It seems that in his zeal to project an opinion, that our friend and former student, M. Farley, has---for some unknown and unsubstantiated reason---used my name and address as a marker beacon to steer our wayward SkydiverWannabes in a more "proper direction" than to Mike's dropzone...I have found this MOST ANNOYING! Let me state for the record, that I, Eric Smith, do not have any other dropzone that I would "rather" send a perspective student to, than to Mike's place, even though I regularly spend my time and money at SkydiveAlabama, in Cullman, AL---since I live in Cullman, AL. Either/Both operations continue to produce first-rate results with their students, as far as I can see, and I would never push one DZ over the other. I have jumped at Mike's place for well over a decade now, and, as many of you know, have had the MOST INTERESTING EXPERIENCES;) of my 23yr skydiving career there...As far as this crud about Mike being in it "only for the money", I can only wonder (1) What---is he supposed to do it for FREE?!? and (2)Why is he a NATIONAL DIRECTOR if he doesn't truly care about the issues that concern/affect the everyday skydiver? Why does he push the issues before the USPA the way he does if he just does it "for the money"?!
M.F.: The next time you want to start throwing names around out there, please leave my name (and F. E.'S) OUT of it!!
SPANK YOU, SPANK YOU VERY MUCH...:P
~ERIC SMITH~

Based on what is said here, Mike went above and beyond.

The only question that came to my mind was whether or not a 2 hour recurrency refresher is really enough after 11 years? Not advocating one position or the other, just posing the question...

What do you think? Not looking for the "official" response, but your opinions/thoughts.

Blues,

Bob

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

As a professional, full-time instructor, I can tell you that I will take as long a time as is needed to get someone back with the program. Some of the gear has changed in eleven years, but for the most part it's pretty much the same. That said, I go right down the sylabus and continue to the next part just as fast as the person can parrot the right answers back to me. I recently took one of my dad's friends on a "recurrency" jump after a bit over 20 years without jumping. He had over 1000 skydives and was a former style and accuracy champion, yet had never jumped a square parachute in his life. I had him in the air in under two hours on a very-modified Cat D AFF (he did practice pulls correctly the first time, then we turned points till pull time, then he pulled flawlessly as expected). This person then proceded to put this never-before jumped Navigator 240 right on the accuracy tuffet. This guy was the exception, clearly, as he had not skipped a beat in over 20 years. Conversely, I have had complete morons who had only gone two months out of currency who caused me to waste seven hours on their retraining. Bottom line here is that you go as fast, or as slow, as it takes to get the job done.

Peace,
Chuck Blue
D-12501
AFF/SL/TM-I, BMCI, PRO, S&TA

As a lowtimer, with several recurrency experiences, I just got to say that every single minute of time the instructors spent with me was (and is) greatly appreciated. When I was grounded for 9 months, I was made to do a full ground refresher, and a level 4-6 combo.
Just personal experience and opinions here but why the fuck would I NOT want every bit of training and experience that was either required, thought to be required, or just offered?

dropdeded
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

Clap, clap, clap,clap.

Thanks for the replies here, Mike.

As I stated in the original reply above (as is now archived for life ;)), give me the choice of a huge GM DZ and Mike next door on a grass strip, Mike get's my money and business every time!

Thanks Mike, for being, well, Mike. :)
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

We will be operating at our winter location, Skydive Taft, Taft, CA from Dec 6 thru March. See: http://www.skydivekingair.com
Thanks,
Mike

Mike,

I don't know you at all, but it sounds like you did exactly the right thing. It is unfortunate that sometimes as skydivers we have to deal with the public at large (which encompasses some of the biggest pains in the asses) in a "business sense". As a prior manifestor and current AFF-I I think that guy got off way cheap and you guys delivered a quality service. It seems like he had no right or reason to complain but sometimes you just can't please everyone[:/].

Will you be flying the King Air at Taft this winter? I am planning a road trip down South in January/ February and I just LOVE the people out at Taft. Getting to jump out of the infamous Mike Mullins King Air would certainly be an added bonus B|.
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

Just wanted to give a shout out from the East Coast! Taft you say? Sounds warmer than here...

Mike--I had the pleasure of doing my AFF out of your plane down at ASC in May of 2000. (btw, I was the level II chick that had a FREAK off dz landing that wasn't my fault, and hella bruises...I think Charlie was driving) Anyways, they all said I was _so_ spoiled to be jumping Mike Mullins planeB| for my training. I can now say I understand completely...I _was_ spoiled.

*raises glass* Thanks Mike!

I just happened to be looking through some old Parachutist, June 2003, and came across a letter written by Mr. Farely. He was complaining about Drop Zones requiring Tandem Jumps prior to starting AFF. He wasn't directing his displeasure at any one Drop Zone, but just the general idea of spending the extra money for the greedy Drop Zones.

In the July issue a Drop Zone owner wrote a reply that after paying the tandem masters, packers, manifest, and plane rental, a lot of drop zones break even.

I'm not trying to make a point just a observation that he had this idea at least 5 months before showing up at WTS.

I didn't check Skydiving to see if he gave them the letter.