Dolemite

Sebastian in trouble???? Sebastian Sun Article

Winds of change

Sebastian Municipal Airport is being revitalized with a $1.1 million 40-unit T-hangar complex, $613,000 in infrastructure and $400,000 in security upgrades.

By Marshall Carter staff writer
August 8, 2003

The Sebastian Municipal Airport has received little attention since its construction in 1943.

But now the 620-acre facility is in the spotlight.

"The airport has been neglected for 50 years," said Jason Milewski, airport manager.

The airport will soon be revitalized with a new $1.1 million 40-unit T-hangar complex, $613,000 in infrastructure work and $400,000 in security upgrades.

Milewski said the T-hangar construction will start this month, and runway construction will start either in the late fall or early winter. Security upgrades are in progress, he said.

Milewski said funding for the changes and upgrades will come from federal and state grants, with a smaller portion of the money coming from airport revenues.

Runway changes

Part of the city's plan is to close the 13-31 runway, which measures 4,000 feet long and 150 feet wide and runs northwest to southeast, and reopen the 9-27 runway, which measures 3,200 feet long by 75 feet wide and runs east to west. By closing the 13-31 runway, the airport will divert air traffic that normally travels over residential areas and also will open up a 160-acre parcel of land, which was previously obstructed by the 13-31 runway.

The airport also has a 4-22 runway, which is 4,000 feet long and 100 feet wide and runs northeast to southwest. The numbers indicate the compass direction of the runway.

Milewski hopes the land will attract more businesses to the airport to offset the city's residential growth.

"We want to bring in businesses, we want to bring in jobs and we want to bring in tax base," he said.

The airport is sandwiched between Main Street and Roseland Road and has entrances off each road.

Milewski views the plan as a solid effort to bring new businesses to the airport.

"As far as having a negative impact, I don't see any," he said.

Business impact

But some of the airport's business owners at the airport disagree.

"Everywhere in the country, airports are trying to expand their runways," said Vic Moreira, general manager of Skydive Sebastian. "Here in Sebastian, we are doing the opposite."

Moreira said other airports want to make their runways more favorable to pilots. By closing its largest runway, the Sebastian airport is taking a different turn, he said.

But pilots are not the only people who will feel the effects of the change. Sky divers are gearing up for a change in their designated landing area.

The drop zone, which is in the north infield of the airport, between the 9-27 and 13-31 runways, will be relocated to a 328-foot radius at the northwest corner of the airfield.

For Moreira, the drop zone is not just being relocated; it is being greatly reduced in size. He said the north infield drop zone is about six times larger than the new drop zone. He said 50 to 60 people can sky dive at once when landing in the northern infield, but with the new landing area, only 5 to 10 jumpers can safely dive at one time. As a result, Moreira said he is anticipating huge financial troubles.

"It will affect Skydive Sebastian in the way that I would not be surprised if we ended up having to close the business," he said.

Skydive Sebastian has one of the smallest landing zones for a world class sky-diving facility, he said. He said sky divers from all over the world travel to the area every year, but he is not expecting their company in the future.

"With the changing of the landing zone, people are just not going to come here," he said.

Besides the well-kept facilities and closeness to the beach, Sebastian Skydive has another desirable trait.

"We have one of the best safety records in the country," he said.

Safety concerns

But Moreira said safety is going to be a major concern with the new drop zone.

With the north infield drop zone, sky divers enjoy a safe landing area. He said even when sky divers get blown off course, they can still land in the airport's south infield as a last resort. But the new location provides little room for error, he said.

"On the new location, sky divers will be free-falling over the Roseland residential area, and in proximity to power lines, Roseland Road and the houses, especially Rivers Edge," he said.

Also, with the smaller landing zone, sky divers will be forced to jump closer together, he said.

"That is the reason why people are not going to come to Skydive Sebastian," he said.

But Milewski sees things differently.

He said the new area is about the same size as the previous landing zone and still meets the size recommended by the U.S. Parachuting Association. He said the new landing zone would actually be farther from power lines and buildings compared to the current drop zone. As the airport develops, additional land will be cleared and the new drop zone area will be more open than it is now, he said. But in order to open up land to attract new businesses, the landing zone must be changed.

"It does have to be moved in order to best substantiate the development of the airport," he said.

As for Skydive Sebastian, Milewski said they have known about the relocation plan for years.

"The plan to relocate this drop zone is not a new one, this has been in the works since 1993," he said. "This isn't something that we just sprung on them all of the sudden."

Although he has not given Skydive Sebastian a drop zone relocation date yet, Milewski said the business would be given a 12-month notice. He said sky divers would not be expected to use the new drop zone until the first business moves into the north infield.

Other issues

Other than the major difference in size between the two runways, another issue arises from the change.

Scott Baker, vice president of Velocity Inc., a kit aircraft manufacturing company also at the Sebastian airport, said the 13-31 runway is more than just a bigger runway.

"It offers more relief to crosswinds," he said.

Baker said the nose of the aircraft needs to be pointed into the wind as much as possible during landing. With the 9-27 runway, at certain times the wind could blow against the side of the aircraft, forcing the pilot to overcompensate for the wind direction during landing.

Moreira shares Baker's concern.

He said the prevailing winds in Sebastian are out of the southeast and northeast.

"That is why the Navy built this airport with a longer runway favoring the southeast and the northeast positions," he said.

Changing the current runway could bring problems, Moreira said.

"Some aircraft might not be able to land in certain weather conditions," he said.

Milewski had one thing to say about those concerned with the crosswind factor.

"They're misinformed," he said.

He said weather conditions on the 13-31 runway are favorable to pilots 97.9 percent of the time. The 9-27 runway provides favorable conditions 97.4 percent of the time.

"That's so negligible that's not even a point," he said.

He said if the crosswinds were a problem, the Federal Aviation Administration would force changes to the development plan.

"If anything, our current configuration is less common than what we'll be going to," he said.

Milewski said airports all along the coast, such as those in Vero Beach and Melbourne, use the same 9-27 and 4-22 runway positions.

He said although the 13-31 runway will be replaced with a much smaller runway, the airport will still use the 4-22 runway. He expects the smaller 9-27 runway and the 4-22 runway to be used equally.

"The only traffic we would be losing is jet traffic," he said. "Most residents don't want that anyway."

- [email protected]

-Dolemite

"Officially disapproved by the man"

Hmmm. I get a lot of crap from people about this, yet...SDU is gone, Sebastian XL is gone...ooooh...ooooh....where did Alchemy go??? Hmmmm. Suspicious to me...Sell....Sell...Sell. Owners on suspension....good stuff.

-Dolemite

"Officially disapproved by the man"

Skydive Sebastian is still alive and kicking, as you can tell by all the loads that have flown the last few weeks and by all the people who HAVE re-appeared...people come and go, things change. It's not always a bad thing!

I LOVE SEBASTIAN! ;)

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

I'm so excited, heard great things!

Don't plan too much for your first jump at Sebastian - you'll end up gawking at the scenery for the whole skydive anyway. It's freakin' beautiful here!! :)
And you gotta stop by the store and say hi while you're here. B|

Pete H. will be with me (we've been dating for a min. now) so I am sure he will insist on visiting you :)

Thanks for being so welcoming. I've heard some things about some DZ's in FL (not sebastian but others) that kinda have me scared. I'm still really new, only have 30 jumps, and worry about mean people. I try to be really nice to others so mean people really get me down and I want to have fun on my vacation!

I have heard that the view is amazing- visiting the dz was a recommendation of Sunshine's :) I am a big fan of new scenery so I was just plannin on belly flying and taking it all in for as long as I can :) I will be excited it's not the corn fields of Xenia, OH!
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

Well all I can say about what OTHERS say about ANY dz is for YOU to form your own opinions once you visit the place. I heard all sorts of things about different places and for the most part, have found out first hand none of them were true.

As for sunny vibes - enjoy the peacefulness of the snow. I'm originally from NJ and miss the snow, although love the FL weather for my new love (skydiving).

Are we "post whoring" this thread? :P

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

Well all I can say about what OTHERS say about ANY dz is for YOU to form your own opinions once you visit the place. I heard all sorts of things about different places and for the most part, have found out first hand none of them were true.

As for sunny vibes - enjoy the peacefulness of the snow. I'm originally from NJ and miss the snow, although love the FL weather for my new love (skydiving).

Are we "post whoring" this thread? :P

The issue is not about how wonderful the place is, it's about the viability of the DZ under the changes being made contrary to the DZs best interests.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I have heard that the view is amazing- visiting the dz was a recommendation of Sunshine's :)

I just wish i could join you and Pete while you're there. I haven't been to sebastian for about 2 years now. I miss that place.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I wish you could come too but some how I think you will have a blast in Eloy! I love AZ, my Dad grew up out there so I fell in love with the area very quickly. Next year I'm going to try and make it out there, maybe dub it as a family vacation and have the folks come party too! Is it bad when you are in college and your Dad can still out drink you? We both went to OU so I guess the "training"/drinking never wears off. Just like riding a bike maybe?!?!?!
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

Thanks for being so welcoming. I've heard some things about some DZ's in FL (not sebastian but others) that kinda have me scared.

I just want to say that i've been to 4 Florida dropzones and have no idea of what you heard, but if it is bad, it is likely not true. Some people probably try to make other places look bad to favor their own home dz, but in reality, you need to take the time to visit them before forming an opinions based on the opinions of others. I loved Sebastian when I jumped there. I loved Deland when I vacationed there. I thought Z-hills was one of the most awesome places i'd been to when I visited there. And, now I jump in Pahokee, a dz that just opened in West Palm, and it is, well, AWESOME! I love it there. Take the time to visit these and other dzs, don't believe everything you hear. '

I, too, am curious as to what effects this will have on Sebastian's dz. I have heard many saying nothing's changing, etc, etc. But, this is the first time i've read this article and it seems there will be changes. I wonder what they've done thusfar. If they've quoted Vic as saying it is bad for business, then how can anyone say it won't have an effect? Best of luck to them.

Angela.

And, now I jump in Pahokee, a dz that just opened in West Palm

off topic, but FYI- SoBe is not in West Palm. Pahokee is the name of the town. MIght mislead some travelers who read this and try to take a cab from the airport to the DZ, in for a rude awakening! :o SoBe/Pahokee is about 40 mins from West Palm AIrport.

And, now I jump in Pahokee, a dz that just opened in West Palm

off topic, but FYI- SoBe is not in West Palm. Pahokee is the name of the town. MIght mislead some travelers who read this and try to take a cab from the airport to the DZ, in for a rude awakening! :o SoBe/Pahokee is about 40 mins from West Palm AIrport.

True. Guess I just bunch the area together, but I understand they are not one in the same. I didn't mean to mislead. To me, they're both far. lol! :)

Angela.

I've always been one to form my own opinion and not think much of others comments but being an inexperienced jumper, I take things to heart when more experienced jumpers throw in their 2 cents. The people I heard things from aren't from Florida and were just speaking of their experiences at the different dz's-not really bad mouthing as so much informing.

I'm just afraid I will screw up and not be welcome or I will be scorned publicly for something I do [happened at my home dz, lots of 4 letter words were thrown at me under canopy while trying to land. I wasn't even doing anything wrong according to several other raltional and experienced jumpers, one guy took it upon himself to yell:( because he thought I was flaring too high. I stood up the landing and it was a nice and soft touch down but it really discouraged me and made me not want to jump after that.]

I have yet to do anything too stupid, off dz landing's about it- my ear drum popped and I was totally disoriented and touched down just off the landing area- definitely not endangering other jumpers though.

I just want this vacation to be stress free and I want to have a good time. I don't want people angry, yelling, or upset at me because I have not jumped there before and are unfamiliar with their policies, etc.
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

Dec 7th -14th. I think I will be in Sebastian on the 10th. You in the area?

Cool. I live up in Orlando, and jump at Sebastian quite a bit. There and Lake Wales. I'm off work that week, so I may actually be down there that day. Is this a vacation that will allow you to make a couple of jumps, or a skydiving vacation?

Mike

I think my bf wants to chill more than jump but I told him I wanted to jump my little butt off! So I will be making as many as I can. I need the numbers and experience. I also love new scenery and I heard you can't beat Sebastians. Maybe it will work out that we will end up in the same place. Look forward to meeting you if its possible :)
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

Sorry, but can I bring this post back to it's original subject for a minute? I haven't been to Sebastian yet, but I've heard great things. This is the first I've heard of this issue and it interests me.

Does anybody know this Jason Milewski guy? Is he a skydiver or has he ever jumped before? It sounds like he is very opinionated about what is a "safe" landing area or "enough space" for a dropzone. Just wondering if his opinion is credible at all or if he is speaking out of his ass.

Regarding the article re-printed on Dropzone.com by Dolomite, I'd like to set the record straight.
As I read original release of this article in the Sebastian Sun, I realised that I had been quoted out of context, and immediately called staff writer Marshall Carter, author of the article. I expressed my disappointment at his carelessness, and suggested that he reprint the article with my entire quotes intact. This never came to fruition, and I had more important matters to attend to, so I dropped the whole thing. Now, I know, I should not have let it go, as I've been re-misquoted in this forum.
Skydive Sebastian is going strong, the Super Otter and Caravan are flying, and jumpers are still enjoying the views and the vibes over the most beautiful DZ in FLA.