vt1977

Skydiving after wisdom teeth extraction

That thread about skydiving with braces just got me thinking…

I am going to have to have my wisdom teeth extracted sometime in the fairly near future :S and I am wondering how long it will be before I will be able to jump afterwards? If it makes any difference, I intend having them out under general anaesthetic.

Thanks!

Vicki

I had three out under a general anesthetic and didn't feel like doing anything for about three days. I stayed on the ground for about a week. In my case the extraction was pretty rough.

Speak with your dentist and discuss the pressure change involved in skydiving. He should be able to give you a good medical answer. Then use your best judgment regarding how you feel in the days following surgery.

Tom Buchanan
Author JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

I had some bone grafts done in my mouth a few days before I was going to jump and asked the Dr if it would cause any problems. He said as long as I pulled there would not be a problem with the dental stuff.;)

I had one wisdom tooth remove under local anesthesia and was jumping the next day. The doctor gave me Ibuprofen and Vicodin for the pain. I got by with the Ibuprofen for the first few days, but then dry socket pain set in and I had to switch to the Vicodin, at which point I stop jumping until the pain cleared up a few days later.

I've had general anesthesia for other procedures and that usually leaves me feeling "wasted" for a couple of days. Obviously, you'll need to judge your own mental/physical readiness to jump based on how you feel at the time.

Be sure to closely follow your dentist's after care instructions, that will help minimize the pain and swelling and speed the healing process. Good luck!!

I was basically unconscious for four days on the vicodin (Wooo!) until I got tired of that and went on just the ibuprofen for the rest of the week.

My recovery didn't have any complications, and I'd say if I had been a skydiver, I wouldn't have been jumping until I felt good enough to be walking around all day, which was ~4 days.

I got general and had one fully impacted, one partially impacted, one normal, and one not existent (25% savings!).

After I got off the vicodin and got out of bed, I still had suture pain for about 3 weeks. That got old. >:( But it wouldn't have kept me from jumping. :)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

I just did that 2 months ago! I had all 4 removed (out of the side to :S) I rested and missed one weekend. After that I asked my dentist if its ok and he said give it a shot :| I jumped 1 week after and it was no biggy... Just make sure the pain meds have worn off first ;)

I had two removed by my dentist and had no problems.:)
The other two had to be removed by an oral surgeon. Assuming that my first experience would be the norm, I scheduled team training the weekend after the next two were removed. I had them removed on Thursday. The pain was so excruciating that I could not jump that weekend at all.B|

It took about 4 days before my mouth stopped being in constant pain. I just lived on vicodin for those days.
John
Arizona Hiking Trails

I had 3 removed under general... and they had a real messy extraction with a couple, so my mouth was pretty torn up. I didn't feel like doing anything for a couple days, but I think within a week I could have been skydiving again.
I think it all depends on your personal pain tolerance and reaction to general anesthisia... if you ask me, jumping too soon may risk dry sockets [:/]

just thought of something, are you going to really get general anesthesia, or just Nitrous... because in the US, I believe most dentists use nitrous... which is a benifit if the general stuff makes you puke your guts up :S

MB 3528, RB 1182

my oral surgeon knocked me out with an IV.

I told him not to... but I was 17. he told me he was gonna put the iv in anyway, so if I needed to be put out later, like if the tooth was in a different position or whatever, then they could. my dad told him to put me out for the whole thing. since I was a minor, he did what my dad said.

I was just afraid of being put out... I'm kinda glad he did.