bluewaterstream

Damn, it's going to be cold!!!

It's about 20 degrees outside here in Colorado and I'm planning on getting a quick jump in after work. I was wondering if any of you have ever heard of gear freezing up and not working properly due to extremely cold weather. While in freefall, I'm sure that the wind chill will be far below 0. For example, I'm wondering about the cutaway, reserve, altimeter, AAD, etc. Probably not, but I figured I'd ask anyway. Also, I don't plan on wearing anything more than googles on my face, should I be concerned about getting frostbite?

Today will be my first solo jump after graduating AFF a few weeks ago, wish me luck.

You should probably look at getting some sort of face protection like a neoprene mask that covers your nose, mouth, and chin areas. They can be obtained relatively inexpensively (mine was 8 bucks) and is reversible (black/camo). Also a full head hood with a face feature is also great to have as protection against the cold; my wife has one. Eastern Mountain Sports carries some good ones. Their web is ems.com I believe and they go for about 25-30 bucks. Or check skiing supply stores. Good luck and stay warm.....

Also consider that if it's 20 degrees on the ground, you lose approximately 3 degrees per 1000 feet of altitude, and add to that a 100-120 mph wind chill factor and you have a fairly "brisk" environment.
Ever skydive in a snowstorm? Pretty wild experience.....

don't think your gear will have any issues. Watched the video of the folks jumping at the north pole. No one bounced cuz of frozen gear so I would think your gonna be ok, cold, but ok.

Experianced it snowing "UP" ;) for the first time last weekend! Winter jumping is freaking awesome!

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

Swooping powder is awesome;) Dont worry about the gear, it´ll do just fine. Biggest problems you get with freezing fingers. When it is more than -20 degrees (Celsius (not familiar with Farenheit)), it is not fun anymore. [:/]
>If God meant for man to fly, He´d have given him much more money.

McG, DZ EFVA dictator

No doubt, I'm excited to jump today. We have a little snow on the ground out here and I'm thinking it will be a cool new experience to land on snow. I already have the cold BEERS waiting for me...

The DZs in the state are not jumping today. They'll operate Wednesdays through Sundays in the summer months, but it's only a weekend deal this time of year.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Yeah know, that's what I was thinking.

No way, no how, would you catch me out jumping on a cold day like this.

I'll wait till Eloy :)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

No way, no how, would you catch me out jumping on a cold day like this. I'll wait till Eloy :)

Are you going to be at the Holiday Boogie? That would be cool if you were there!!! Did I ever tell you that you are one of my favorite people I have met through jumping here in CO? Now how's that for sucking up? It's the truth though. Mary rocks!!! :$

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

When landing in the snow, I check if the canopy is dry before I pack it. I got a reserve on my back, but I still don't want my main or my threerings to become frozen.

"Pauli, along with several other jumpers, had been jumping the day prior and
landing into very deep snow. The jumpers shook the dry snow out of the canopies
prior to packing, but evidently Pauli didn't remove it all. What's left melts inside
the packed rig while it sat in a warm room. The jumpers deposit the rigs into the trunk
of an old Saab and drive to Stockholm. The temperatures are well below freezing.
On deployment Pauli canopy went to line stretch but is basically a solid block of
ice that never inflates."

Is this your first season in CO? You'll find it interesting jumping through the winter.

The temp at altitude, never seems to scale like sea level DZ's (something about an inversion layer). It really isn't that bad, now some days are worse than others but all in all CO is not a bad winter home.

CO jumpers tend to love winter weather because we get a taste of how a parachute is supposed to fly!!! ;)

My suggestion is to go to R.E.I. and get these $5 glove inserts, they don't look like much, but they fit in your football/baseball gloves easily and keep finger tips warm.

Coldest Jump thus far though: CO Winter 2001, first doing ariel shots for a local company out of the jump plane, so for 30 minutes hanging out of the door taking pics while the plane circled (about -25 out). Then went to altitude, took some shots of the DZ and jumped. When i opened, my fingers were so cold i couldn't grip the toggles, so i got my fingers through them and held them like an up-side-down "U" and slid through the snow like a metoriod.