crutch

Tandem Into Alltel Stadium

Hey, ain't we come a long way! I remember a few total mals with the first jumping of that costume (course you were wearing it at the time) - congratulations Buddy, it couldn't make a star of a nicer guy!
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

Thanks, yes I remember several jumps wondering what the hell I was doing wearing that costume. Carolyn made me promise not to jump with it on anymore, so this has been the compromise.

It all worked out well Sunday night, but not with out all the help I received from our team. Everyone (Bobby, Patty, Ronnie, Joyce, Christan and Shane) on the ground did a wonderful job working around the communications issues, Michael with the TSA and FAA, John in the plane helping me with the rig and leading us in. And of course we had a great jump pilot (Tom Harvey) who kept it all under control before we got out. Hell, the easiest part of the whole thing was the jump itself.
blue skies,

art

John, you will have to talk to Carolyn about that one, you know she thinks I am way underpaid for carrying Jaxson into the stadium. Heck, what do you want, I bought you dinner and had champagne delivered after the jump. Maybe next time, you do the jump and I will be on the ground. Anyhow, thanks for your help, and we won't tell anyone about Michael in the plane;). I will take all of ya'll out again when I get the check and we will divide it up.
blue skies,

art

I thought tandems into a stadium were strictly verboten?

Jump

He's wearing a costume, not jumping a tandem.

Nice pic, Art. Looks like a great time! Tell Carolyn "hi" and we'll see you guys next year!;)

Katie

Ahem, Katie -- what's the title Art put on the thread?

I know the pic isn't clear, but in the same shot in the paper yesterday, you can see the TM behind Jaxson DeVille.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

Tandem jumps into stadiums are totally unauthorized by the manufacturer The RWS.
ANY jump using the RWS tandem system weather you have a passenger or not is considered a tandem and Stadiums are not waiverable!
"Dropzone.com, where uneducated people measuring penises, has become an art form"

***Tandem jumps into stadiums are totally unauthorized by the manufacturer The RWS

no worries, RWS is uninsured, and goes to a lot of extremes to include that in all of their adds. can't say i blame them. "Most Excellent Disclaimer" "TreeTop"

--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

The Uninsured Relative Work Shop has really good reasons for changing their business name to include Uninsured. Same reason people include LLC in their business names.

As to the waiver, ever since the USPA took over the adminsitration of the Tandems alot of the responcibilities and restrictions the manufactors had were eliminated. The gear was'nt allowed to be waivered on demos as long as it was still experimental. Its not anymore and the rig manufactors it seems are having less say in what their gear can be used for. [:/]
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

One, the canopy was made special for the jump (Wachovia was the sponsor) and purchase through the RWS (as they are the only people you can buy a Sigma canopy from). There were several people there who knew full well what the canopy was for and supported us through the process.
Second, the FAA has some definite hurdles to go through in order to jump into the stadium since we are not a DOD team. Oh and now there is the TSA approval for the pilot and skydivers.
Third, the USPA issued a waiver to the BSRs that pertained to this jump. There were added restrictions that were self-imposed such as ceilings and wind-speed. The waiver process is quite lenghty, but this being the second year we have done it, it seemed to go through the system without much trouble.
Lastily, the passenger (mascot) is a C-license holder with many practice jumps amongst us. This was not a fly-by-night operation and took months of planning and practice for it to go as well as it did.

So, would I recommend this to anyone, hell no. Jumping into the stadium with a tandem is one of the toughest jumps I have ever done, everything is different once you get inside the lights. Wind direction, thermals, distractions, nothing is predictable. We have made about 30 jumps into this stadium now, and I can tell you, none of them have been the same.
blue skies,

art

( It all worked out well Sunday night, but not with out all the help I received from our team. Everyone (Bobby, Patty, Ronnie, Joyce, Christan and Shane) on the ground did a wonderful job working around the communications issues,)

Pay attention to the number of people we had on the ground. A good demo starts with meticlous planning and ends with quality execution, none of this is possible without several qualified people on the ground running interference. Yeah team!

John Wright
Member of the highly lauded and enormously successful "The Art of Skydiving" demonstration team

John Wright

World's most beloved skydiver

Pay attention to the number of people we had on the ground. A good demo starts with meticlous planning and ends with quality execution, none of this is possible without several qualified people on the ground running interference. Yeah team!

John Wright

Saw some of the jump Sunday night...

ON NATIONAL TELEVISION!B|

It's Professionals like these, using intelligent planning,
superior skills and execution...
especially in a major venue like this,
that help all of us in the positive portrayal
of our sport!

The true definition of a "Professional !" :)

Great job guys! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I hate these new commercialized stadium names. With the old names, we could almost always tell where the stadium was, just from the name. So where the heck is Alltel Stadium?

Jacksonville, FL, home of the dismal Jaguars
blue skies,

art