ZoneRat

Tandem Drogue Loading?

I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that at most DZ's, TM's have a range of canopy sizes to choose from based on the combined weight of TM and student. It would just make sense to keep wingloadings sort've the same from jump to jump.

If so, are these tandem rigs set up with different sized drogues as well?

Seems like it would make things easier for the videographer... fall rate wise.

I've heard of times when video guy's can't film lightly weighted Student/ TM combo's cause they cant stay on level with their freefly suits and don't own or can't capably fly camera suits.
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

I've heard of times when video guy's can't film lightly weighted Student/ TM combo's cause they cant stay on level with their freefly suits and don't own or can't capably fly camera suits.

In any of these cases the solution might be that the individual should think twice about filming the jump.

I am personally a light TM. None of the Camera Flyers I have ever worked with had any issues staying on level with me. Even when I had a light passenger.

I can only attest for the individuals where I worked. They are excellent flyers and know how to adjust for different situations.

If an individual does not have the skills to stay there then they should decline that particular jump.

It is no different than a small AFF-I having to take a very large student.

If you do not think you are capable then don't do the jump.

Just what I have seen in the sport.

Laters,

KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!!!B|
The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES

From the manufacture there are different sized drogues you can get (atleast with RWS there is), but generally DZs have a single size on all of their systems.

On a tandem without video, it really doesn't matter, but with video the video guy should dress for the instructor/student combo.

As an instructor I try to help my video guys out as much as possible, I've taken to wearing my FF suit to get a better range of speeds so I can slow down the bigger students and keep the smaller students going along at a good speed for the video guy.

What you have to remember is that the two of you are a team to produce a fun time for the student and a good looking video that the student will be proud of.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

What you have to remember is that the two of you are a team to produce a fun time for the student and a good looking video that the student will be proud of.

One would think that attaching the best sized drogue would be the third leg of that stool.
1. Friendly, capable TM
+2. Friendly, capable Videographer
+3. All the equipment and (as Dave said) clothing that offer the greatest chance of success.
= The greatest likelihood of a happy student.

You'd only have to attach the right sized drogue once, and it'd be right forever.

Seems that TM's and Vid folk have learned to work around it. Guess it's not a big deal.

Just a question I had waking up this morning. Shooting tandems seems like such a joyful thing, ya know? Bearing witness to someones first jump and all, but I dont care to fly a winged camera suit. I don't wanna convolute what RW skills I've developed so far with the whole new muscle memory set a winged suit might entail. They're not so locked in that I feel I could switch back and forth successfully. (& I've promised some friends I'd help turn some points with them this coming season... and that's fun too).

Oh well. Perhaps in 2005.[:/]

Thanks for the replies.:)
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

By having just one size drogue you don't have to double your equipment. There are some light TM's like me that will take bowling ball shaped people and would need a large drogue to control our freefall speed, but could get by with a medium or small canopy. Other Big TM's taking normal people could get by with large canopies and normal drogues, smaller TM's with small students would need a small drogue and a small canopy. Lots of possible hardware match ups and for the little added gains its not worth it. Its easier to have everything the same on the rigs except 2 or 3 canopy sizes and let the TM's worry about canopy choice instead of every little detail.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I have filmed Kramer before many times. Its not so much the slow ones but the fast ones that are hard.
I bet a really slow tandem might fall at barely over 100mph but I have no trouble with a camera suit.
I have filmed a fast pair clocked on a Pro Track at 147mph max speed. Thats difficult but not impossible. Just get a really steep angle underneath with you elbows in front of your chest. Amost sitting up on your knees. I have learned to tell the passengers NOT to imitate my body position. They will do it.:S
We just replaced all the drogues on our tandems and I can notice the difference in speed. Its best to have the equipment standardized and hire staff that have the skills to work around the fall rates.
JMHO, YMMV:)

Its easier to have everything the same on the rigs except 2 or 3 canopy sizes and let the TM's worry about canopy choice instead of every little detail.

As I see it, you'd only have to change it once. Then it would be correct forever.

For example: The TM chooses a small canopy 'cause the combined exit weight is light... it would already have a smaller drogue on it.

Same for the med. Same for the large.

Once you change them, you never have to jack with it again. You just have to hope that the TM chooses the right size canopy. They're aleady doing that anyway...arent they?

But here is the thing... on no wind days I'll grab a larger canopy so its easier for me to stand up the landing. Thats putting a light TM and a light passenger on large gear with a large drogue. On really windy days I'll grab the small gear, every other time I grab the medium gear. If I had someone that was on their tandem progression levels then I'd jump what ever I wanted to (Usually the FC365) so that I could get the landings able to be stood up with plently of flare left and they got the feeling of ground rush at landing so it did'nt scare them on their own.

Thats a lighter TM on all 3 ranges of gear depending on landing conditions.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

RWS (the rigs have the most experience with) has 2 sizes of drogue avaliable.

54inch and 60inch.

I have not had the oportunity to jump the larger drouge and I think due to the added cost ($555 vs. $490 (Sigma)) you may not find many schools rushing to equip their rigs with them, as there is really no need.

I believe the 60 inch drogue was developed in response to requests from the military.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

But here is the thing... on no wind days I'll grab a larger canopy so its easier for me to stand up the landing.

Ahhhh, ok. Got it. Wasn't thinking no wind vs high wind, and that makes perfect sense.

Thanks for that, Phreezone.

I know. I also listed the prices for them.

I know of a DZO in Idaho who was using the 60 inch drogues for one of his big boy tandem rigs. He said it made the openings nicer because of the reduced airspeed but he had a bridal attachment point on the canopy rip free once, and suspected it was from an opening where the drogue did not collapse all the way. Probably would have hapend with the smaller drogue too, but this guy decided to stop using it.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.