cesslon

can AFF wear sunny's

Hey all
I really dont like the goggle things i wear i find the crease in the lense restrictive of my view

ive seen lots of people wearing sunglasses
does any1 know when a person is qualified to wear sunglasses
my sunglasses fit my head real tight and have a very slim chance of coming off during a jump

i know diff country's are probably different but whats the useal ?

I feel your pain. I don't jump goggles unless it's a night jump. Other than that, I jump in a pair of Oakley Minutes. However, In the US, it's pretty much clear goggles or nothing until you get your 'A' license.

Many DZ's won't let students jump full-face helmets because they cut off peripheral vision.

Also, from what I've heard, some DZ's don't like students using heavily tinted goggles or sunglasses because they can mess with depth-perception. Anyone got anything to back that one up? I won't let my students jump anything but clear goggles.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Dont quote me on this but I think I heard one of our J/M's saying they dont allow sunglasses becuase the J/M wnats to be able to see your eyes to know that your looking at your alt or looking at him during COA's ect....

jason
Freedom of speech includes volume

i remember a leval 4 student looking at me at pull time.. and i could see it in his eyes... he was about to loose it........ it was an awesome skydive for a level 4 but something about solo pull time got to him.... he brain locked.....

it was the look in his eyes that made me relize at 5500 ft that this skydive was getting ready to get fun....

he then rolled on his back....

but me just seeing his eyes gave me the knowledge that something was wrong.....and i was already on the way to grab him when he flipped..
i will never let a student of mine wear goggles that i cannot see their eyes in

does any1 know when a person is qualified to wear sunglasses

when you have an A license

there are different types of goggles out there... ask your instructor if there is any other kind that you could use.

I have my AFF's wear clear goggles for all the reasons given before.

When you say something like

"have a very slim chance of coming off"

understand that I don't need to deal with your blind inexperience when they do come off on your 1st release dive.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Strange but true:Si was grounded once for tinted goggles>:(I'd completed aff and was in reciept of a fresh 'A'licence.However i was still low experience and as mentioned earlier dark/tinted goggles can severly mess with your depth perception especially in low/fading light conditions.;)
I'm lucky to still be here after said phenominen caught me out on a sunset load,me making a too low a turn and thankgod/budda etc i managed to get the canopy level otherwise i'd have impacted the planet with obvious consequences.
Now with hindsight,i opt for clear goggles or simply remove my tints whilst under canopy in fading/low light conditions;)

Edited to add:Anyone have any thoughts on yellow tints?To me these seem to make my surrounds 'LOOK' brighter/clearer but do they mess with depth perception any advantages/disadvanges to wearing goggles with yellow lenses vs clear lenses etc
.CHOP WOOD COLLECT WATER.

I don't know what goggles you're wearing but they obviously suck.

Buy some of your own.

Try Flex-Z goggles. I prefer the mini's.

Goggles

Check the DZ's pro-shop to see if These are in stock. You'll be pleasantly surprised.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Dont quote me on this but I think I heard one of our J/M's saying they dont allow sunglasses becuase the J/M wnats to be able to see your eyes to know that your looking at your alt or looking at him
-----------------------------------------------------------

Same with my aff, and recurrency dives.

dropdeded
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

Anyone have any thoughts on yellow tints?To me these seem to make my surrounds 'LOOK' brighter/clearer but do they mess with depth perception any advantages/disadvanges to wearing goggles with yellow lenses vs clear lenses etc

I have a pair of yellow tints. They cut down on glare more than clear lenses, but they do not make things appear brighter - just more yellow. Do NOT wear them on a night jump. Other than that, no problems whatsoever.

Many DZ's won't let students jump full-face helmets because they cut off peripheral vision.

There are DZ's that won't let Jumpmasters wear them either, because the student cannot see them "mouth" commands.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

My skydiving buddy bought me a pair of really nice clear goggles so I wouldn't have to wear the student ones. . .no problems with vision in them at all and the best part is, they were completely invisible in my photos and video. . .

The cost at the Gear Store at Elsinore was $13. . .well worth it. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

hi
I just found the crease ran up and down directly in front of my eyes

like there is 2 creases so they can bend
and i didnt like it
but maybe its cos they were like tight and im just not used to having anything press against me face lol

I have a pair of clear saftey glasses that are a very similar wrap around style layout to most oakleys
so they stay on tight and are very aero dynamic nad best of all the frame and all is clear as well as the lense
and they are strong as they are industrial streanght saftey glasses
i might look around for them and if i can find them after i do a few more stages if my AFF ill ask if i can wear them

I've had several sunset loads that were . . . "getting kinda dark". I generally wear yellow goggles - which do seem to make everything seem sharper. The first of the sunset load was full altitude - so i had a normal freefall, goggles and all, but . . .the second i was under canopy, bam - goggles come off my eyes and go down around my neck. the 2nd was a hop and pop - and so the goggles just stayed around my neck from exit to opening to landing. i don't want anything messing w/my vision if it's getting dark out. just my 2cents worth.

Jim

Anyone have any thoughts on yellow tints?To me these seem to make my surrounds 'LOOK' brighter/clearer but do they mess with depth perception any advantages/disadvanges to wearing goggles with yellow lenses vs clear lenses etc

I have a pair of yellow tints. They cut down on glare more than clear lenses, but they do not make things appear brighter - just more yellow. Do NOT wear them on a night jump. Other than that, no problems whatsoever.

Yellow tinted goggles will make things appear "sharper" as they give a lot more contrast. Check with anyone who has done a lot of competitive target shooting. They do not affect your depth perception to any noticable degree.
I agree though that they should not be worn on night jumps. They make it tricky to distinguish/identify the various light sources (car lights, flash lights, street lights etc.) .