schattenjaeger

I see all these topics about how students and younger jumpers...

Wow, thanks for your post. It has helped me so greatly and I now realize that everything I perceived to have happened in that situation is wrong.

The sarcasm is not going to help you.

I am strong willed, and if you think that makes me an asshole, screw you!

Did I ever call you a name? Let's be adults here.

Being strong willed is great! Being Stubborn and not listening to people that know is not! I draw opinions based on what you have said on this website not what others tell me. From what I have seen you post on this site you are the sterotypical " 100 jump wonder".

I will restate what I said in my last post. YOU SHOULD NOT BE GIVING ADVICE AT THIS POINT! Relate your experiences. Don't give advice. What gives you the right to tell someone what they should be doing when you don't have it figured out yet?
Dom

I hear ya, Dave. Here's a thought. I wasn't banned for landing near a plane, but lets go with that event as an example. I got down from that jump, and the S&TA came up to me. Before he could tell me, I said "I know" and he nodded and told me to be more careful. I told him he was right, I agreed to be more careful. I did not argue with him that I was in the right landing where I landed. I knew I was in front of the beerline, and should've realized that I wasn't going to get penetration with the wind and turned sooner. I didn't, and I was in the wrong there and I knew that.

I have gotten a lot of attitudes from enforcers on here and the majority of the time, when someone approaches me with a nasty attitude, that is exactly what they can expect to get back. I am a reasonable person. I do not simply disgard things that are said because they aren't what I want to hear. I just don't accept everything that is said as if it is the only way. Let's talk canopy size for a moment. I got some arguments from people on here when I downsized. Many people wanted me to stay on my 190sf student canopy. I did not find this reasonable. I argued a point and people got pissed off. I couldn't be bothered at that point because no one was going to acknowledge that maybe, just maybe, I didn't need to be on a 190sf chute. The only thing that would've changed people getting pissed off is if i'd have listened and stayed on a 190sf parachute. I was not going to do that just to keep some people happy.

It is a shame that I am well known across the country. I didn't even do anything that serious, but people think I have a very bad attitude when honestly, that isn't the case. There are plenty of people that likely need more watching over than myself, but again, i've been put in the spotlight already and what's more fun that keeping me there, right? [:/]

Thanks for your post.

You excellent spelling and grammar.

Excellent contribution to this thread.:S Jackass.

Angela.

Did I ever call you a name? Let's be adults here.

It as more a general comment, not really directed at you specifically. I should have made that clear.

Being strong willed is great! Being Stubborn and not listening to people that know is not!

I have excellent instructors at my dz. Why should I listen to the opinions of people online that haven't even seen my fly, but judge me based on hearsay?

I draw opinions based on what you have said on this website not what others tell me. From what I have seen you post on this site you are the sterotypical " 100 jump wonder".

Why exactly do you feel that way? I mean, as far as I understand it, a 100 jump wonder is "gee, I wonder how this person made it to 100 jumps?". So, how is it that you feel i've been so unsafe that it's a wonder that i've made it this far? Am I radical under canopy? Am I attempting headdown with newbies in the air? What justifies your opinion of me? Is it actually a wonder that i've made it to 100 jumps because I argue with people online? That doesn't make much sense to me.

I will restate what I said in my last post. YOU SHOULD NOT BE GIVING ADVICE AT THIS POINT! Relate your experiences. Don't give advice. What gives you the right to tell someone what they should be doing when you don't have it figured out yet?

I do relate my experiences, that is what my advice is based on. There are a lot of people who post on this site. What are the chances that i'm going to be the only one replying to a given thread, anyhow? I like to reply to people, and yes, often my advice isn't the best out there. People correct me, and I learn things, and i'm sure others do, too. I do not at all feel like the advice I am giving is going to hurt someone, but most certainly I will think about that before posting in the future.

Angela.

I got some arguments from people on here when I downsized. Many people wanted me to stay on my 190sf student canopy. I did not find this reasonable. I argued a point and people got pissed off. I couldn't be bothered at that point because no one was going to acknowledge that maybe, just maybe, I didn't need to be on a 190sf chute.

There is the problem. You say " I did not find this reasonable" That is the "XXX JUMP WONDER" attitude. IT is more then reasonable to keep some one with lower jump numbers on a bigger canopy. Especially if they have shown that they are not 100% with there current canopy all the time. There is no excuse for landing on a runway or near a plane unless you have had a cutaway. Getting out of line twists at 900 ft. is not an excuse. If you couldn't get to a safe place to land, what makes you think you would handle the situation different on a smaller canopy? With a smaller canopy you would more then likely have been lower when you got out of the line twists and had even less time to get in a clear spot to land. You should be 100% with your current canopy in any condition before you go to a smaller one. Even that won't save people all the time.

I am not perfect and am speaking from first hand knowledge on this subject. When I bought my first canopy it was way to small for me. I went from a 220 f-111 to a 150 ZP in one step. That was stupid and two of my very close friends did the same thing at the same time. One of them is now dead and the other sent himself to the hospital because of it. By the grace of God I didn't kill myself either, but I have plenty of video of myself digging it out at the last second. I am very lucky to be here in one piece today. Learn from the mistakes of others. Most of the time people want to help and prevent the unfortunate things they have seen in the past. I guess time will tell with you.

Dom

Yes, it is reasonable to keep people on larger canopies. I didn't see a reason to stay on a 190, and many agreed with me (just not in posts). I had already downsized to a 150 by jump 25, I got those line twists at jump 30, just to clarify exactly when what happened.

I am not giving you excuses saying it is ok to land on the runway because bla blah. I am saying, that is likely the reason I did. Not that it was right, but that is what happened.

I think i'm talking to myself at this point. I am done with this thread. Have fun chatting with others who agree with you about how I ever made it to 100 jumps with my wreckless skydiving.

cya.
Angela.

. . . as another thread goes south, again.

Angela - you were there, you know what happened. Other people may disagree with how you handled it. One way to handle it is to just read what they say and then either agree with it or disagree with it, using your own judgement and advice from people you trust. Another tack is to try to prove them "wrong." Often the latter approach is fruitless.

Everyone else - it's hard enough to figure out what happened after an incident or a fatality even with witnesses on the load and in the landing area. It's _very_ hard (and generally just as fruitless) to try to do that when you were 2000 miles and three stories away from what happened.