rickfri59

Older Jumpers At The DZ

I'd be interested in knowing the following: Are the 40+ year old jumpers predominately made up of those who have been in the sport since late teens/20's, or are they late comers like me?

......It occurs to me, after reading the replies, that i am something of a minority...
I.E. someone who started jumping when young,, and stayed with it...:D
I was 19 when I took a static line course..... Had NEVER been in an airplane til my first jump....that was 1972... I celebrated my 50 th birthday,,, on Fathers day 2003,,,,,, at the dropzone.....
I can't lay claim to making hundreds and hundreds of jumps each year,,,, ( I have 2830 jumps over 31 years) but I can say that I have ALWAYS stayed active, and current,,,,( current helps keep us safe.....) and have now been jumping for 62% of my life....B|;).
True enough,, the training and the gear of today, as well as the turbine aircraft in use at many dz's allow for higher altitude exits,,,, bigger doors from which to exit, and
a generally more encouraging atmosphere, in which to learn....I have always loved the sport for the way it accepts such a diverse cross section of people... Male /Female.... Old / Young.... Large/Small....as long as a person has a few smarts, and a willingness to listen.... they are welcomed...
skydive softly, skydive often, skydive with friends

Started at 38, now 42, have about 1800 jumps, about half in team training. A light weekend of fun jumping is 6 jumps a day, and I'm a bit disappointed if I'm on the ground that long. ;-) I love team training and the discipline that goes along with it, plus the friends I've made along the way, both in and out of teams. Had I known what I was missing, I'd have started long before I did.

First jump when I was 20, continued jumping through my 46th birthday.
Now work full-time as an instructor/rigger/DZ bum. I can still make more tandem jumps per day than most of the younger guys.

Reminds me of a story: A young bull and an old bull were surveying a herd of cows. The young bull says:"Let's run over and inseminate 2 or 3 cows."
The old bull replies:"Let's walk over and inseminate all of them."

It is all about pacing yourself.

"POPS" rulez!;) Way too many young guns and hot shots give up skydiving when they are just about to learn something. Too bad. We old timers (:$) are not so ambitious anymore, so I guess we have more fun...

I agree. I am an uncomfortable 36, not quite old enough to know anything, but not young enough to be a

young gun

. I am however confident than I will still learn a lot and not forget what I have learned over the last 15 years.

BTW, I started jumping when my mother, then 45, convinced me to do a first jump course with her. She's now 60 and, though not jumping presently, a keen follower of the sport. She does not miss a single opportunity to hang around a DZ to talk to people and look up.
Blue Skies
SoftNotes
"That's not flying.... that's falling with style!"

started when I was 19 in 1979 and continued through to today, tho some years were better than others... Last year was my worst year - only 1 base jump and 2 demo jumps because of an injury and a financial and social setback dating back a couple of years now... Made a lot more this year. After 24 years I currently have just over 2400 jumps...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

I know several folks who started "late". Jay Tribble started on his 50th birthday and has since been on numerous large-way records, demos, etc. Same with Jim Alkek and a few other POPS I know.

Just remember we old guys don't heal as well as our younger rubber-boned counterparts, so choose your gear and activities carefully.;)

Chuck

Well, just got started jumping at age 50! First jump was the first weekend in Oct and I am now very close to getting my A License. Lack only 1 more jump to have the required 25, have to pack a parachute, and take the test, then I'll have it! :):D:)
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

Hey Jimbo, good to see your still in the skydiving world.
I did 68 sport jumps in my early 20s while in the service in '72-'73. Quit when I got married shortly there after. Made my first jump after a 23 yr. layoff in '97 and now have 650+. I do most all our tandem and aff video and recently recieved my Pro rating.
By the way Jimbo, I finally got my first PC (never could afford one on military pay) about a month ago. I'm getting it set up in a rig now to jump when I want to reminisce about the round days.

Very cool... I went out to do ONE jump for my 45th birthday in '01, and now 250+ jumps later, think I'll hang around for awhile. The kids are grown and on their own, no other family obligations to contend with... what better way is there to spend my retirement money??... unless, of course, the surf is up and the sun is out...:)

I started last year in March aged 39 (now 40). I'd always planned on doing it but never got around to it. I've met plenty of people who have taken it up in their late 30's early 40's. People seem a lot more active in their 40's these days and the cost of the training is less likely to gobble all of your salary.

cheers

Mike