airtwardo

Should 'PRO' Requirements be Increased?

Very well said. It is not "just a skydive".

And to take it just a little further...

There is not such thing as just another skydive

Every time we jump we risk death. As we add more things to the skydive we increase that risk. If we all just did hop n pops the number of deaths would reduce. As we add more people, more equipment, more tasks the level of risk rises.

Someone asked me once what was the #1 cause of fatalities in this sport. I said "low pulls" (Which it was back then).

He told me it is jumpers doing new and unfamiliar things.

Not just new jumpers, but old guys trying new things.

I almost bounced on my first video jump, and I did hook it in when I got my first Stiletto. The incident reports are filled with people doing new things....My point?

I was on a Professional Demo team for three years (I know not long) But I did over 100 real Demos into all kinds of landing areas from Airshows to Pro Player Stadium in FL.

And to do those 100 Demos I did over 600 training jumps. At least 5 a weekend when I was not on the road, and train ups with as many as 160 jumps in one mth. 600 jumps jumping Smoke, Flags, and banners onto a target where my performance was graded on every jump.

I am letting my PRO go...I have not done a demo in two years, and I no longer have the right equipment to do one, or the currency.....And maybe I don't have the skill anymore either.

If you think you are able to do a demo just because a few years ago you did 10 landings in a 10 meter circle...Chances are you are wrong.

The only way to be safe doing demos is to do them more than once a year. You have to be current.

How good would you be if you only did a bigway,a hookturn, a freefly,an AFF or tandem once or twice a year?

I personally think that to get signed off you should do a mock Demo with smoke, flags ect...every year. AND land on target.

Not just one landing....Ya know how I qualified last year? Under my Velocity 96. What sense does that make?

Unless you are current..Don't do a Demo...If you want to do a Demo...GET CURRENT.

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Did someone drop you on your head or something?

AHHH, Yeah John...
Right on Dude!
Great input Thanks!

Sorry if you didn't like my reply but the idea that increasing someones renewal fee would somehow make them a better demo jumper is pretty silly. Why not increase it to $500 and have the head of the FAA present at all demos, that would surely increase safety. The things that make good demos are: a) using only jumpers that are truly qualified b) meticulous planning and preparation c) sticking with the plan. You could have a thousand ASO's on the ground and it wouldn't make a bit of difference if you had jumpers that gun-decked thier PRO quals and thought they could safelyfly thier 2 : 1 loaded Stilletos into a stadium. I know that there people out there with PRO ratings that can't even stand up ten times in a row, much less land on target . S &TA's have to be conciencious when they sign someone off and that is the problem, not how much the renewal fee is.
Sorry if you thought I was being a smart ass but sometimes a silly remark will incur a silly reply.

Jump nice
John Wright

P.S. Please don't call me dude, this is 2003.
John Wright

World's most beloved skydiver

Did someone drop you on your head or something?

AHHH, Yeah John...
Right on Dude!
Great input Thanks!

Sorry if you didn't like my reply but the idea that increasing someones renewal fee would somehow make them a better demo jumper is pretty silly. Why not increase it to $500 and have the head of the FAA present at all demos, that would surely increase safety. The things that make good demos are: a) using only jumpers that are truly qualified b) meticulous planning and preparation c) sticking with the plan. You could have a thousand ASO's on the ground and it wouldn't make a bit of difference if you had jumpers that gun-decked thier PRO quals and thought they could safelyfly thier 2 : 1 loaded Stilletos into a stadium. I know that there people out there with PRO ratings that can't even stand up ten times in a row, much less land on target . S &TA's have to be conciencious when they sign someone off and that is the problem, not how much the renewal fee is.
Sorry if you thought I was being a smart ass but sometimes a silly remark will incur a silly reply.

Jump nice
John Wright

P.S. Please don't call me dude, this is 2003.

I don't think it was a silly remark. You charge $250 for the rating the 8 balls you described will not renew their rating.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

[replyreply]
I don't think it was a silly remark. You charge $250 for the rating the 8 balls you described will not renew their rating.

So, if someone doesn't mind paying, or can easily afford a $250 rating fee, then they are going to be a professional, concientious jumper that doesn't pencil whip thier quals or lie about thier ability? Sorry, but the world just doesn't work that way. The problem I have with people making remarks like " why don't we increase the rating fee" in a public forum like this is that there are people out there reading this that also believe that the best way to fix a problem is to throw money at it. Maybe they are in a position to do something or act on it, next thing you know only the Knights are doing demos. S &TA's make sure things are done right and our problems fix themselves. If you go through the qual process honestly and complete everything then there is no reason that you should'nt be able to do demos safely. We pay attention to detail where I jump and all of our PRO's earned thier ratings. I have a buddy that has busted twice at 8 or 9 jumps
and has had to start over, but, until you can do it ten times then you're just not qualified and he knows and accepts this. Be honest, don't cheat, be professional. It's that easy.

Jump nice
John Wright
John Wright

I am going to jump in here, no reply to a specific quote, just some general ideas.

One, charging more money to get the rating just means people aren't going to bother with it. Dealing with the FAA doesn't mean anything, since they can easily be swayed into some other type of thinking by any fast talker. We had that situation here a few years back when some non-PRO rated jumpers got the contract to jump into the statdium. They convinced the FSDO the PRO rating wasn't what it was cut out to be. The FSDO came out, watch them jump into the stadium on a practice jump and gave them "stadium rating". It took all kind of work to put this back to rights, as they were the only ones allowed to jump into the stadium for awhile. This same group had someone land in the stands on one of their demos, the jumper blamed it on the zer0-p canopy he was flying, their is an addedum still on our waivers that says no zero-p canopies on stadium jumps.

Two, the bandit jumps will get out of control. If it cost $200 to $300 dollars to get a PRO Rating less people are going to do it. Does that mean that Joe skydiver is still not going to jump into his buddies cookout, I don't think so.

Three, we are sitting here arguing about this petty stuff trying to put another level of beaucracy in the mix and the thing that is going to ground us is USPA letting the insurance go. Sorry folks, that is the situation that needs to be addressed. Do I think USPA is going to help, hell no. We were able to jump into the stadium long before USPA claimed to help us, all they did is add more red tape to the process. we have had our dealings with the FAA and USPA over what we can and can't do on demo jumps, believe me, the FAA is much easier to work with (they don't have anyone trying to get on the jump). As soon as we can find a way out of the insurance mess, I am with you Ron, I will keep my USPA dues in my pocket!

What is the solution? It is a little simpler than all of you make it out to be. We all need an airplane to do these jumps. The drop zones cannot be letting their planes be used on jumps that aren't to the BSR's. Who is at fault here? Someone may say I know someone who has a plane and will fly us, well we also need to keep the aviation community informed (this can easily be done through AOPA, they have had several very good articles abotu jump pilots and their skills/requirements over the years). If you see this happening at your home DZ and don't say anything, well, don't repl to this post anymore because you are part of the problem.

We as jumpers enjoy something very special in this country that few industries can claim, we get to govern ourselves! We need to do a better job of doing it! Don't go on that demo if you aren't qualified or current enough for the task at hand. It is just another skydive, but the ramifications of errors on the skydive are what makes it different.

P.S. I just got this picture although the jump was 9 months ago. Yes, tandem into an NFL game (our second one).

My experience with the pro rating was that the creditability of the rating/concept never reached the level that was the original intent due to the fact that the FAA would still approve high exposure demos for those who did not have a Pro rating. It seems that the USPA never fully educated the FAA as to the legitimacy of the rating and how much effort the holders went to to get it. Also, if you went to the USPA with a complaint about less experienced jumpers doing high risk demos without a pro rating, they didn't want to get involved and would just say it is an FAA decision. Well thanks for the support USPA>:(>:( Had I not been on two high exposure demo teams that required a Pro rating, I never would have renewed it after the first year.
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

If we can't show the insurance co. we are serious about cleaning up pro jumping we will have no insur.
If you have some valid ideas please let us in on them. In his first post he said he would like to get ideas for everyone. The only guy to put forth anything worth while is from another country. Just my 2c

P.S. I just got this picture although the jump was 9 months ago. Yes, tandem into an NFL game (our second one).

I'm a bit confused, hopefully you can clear this up for me.

Is RWS the only manufacture that specifically states that their tandem system cannot be used for demo jumps, with the possibility of the TM loosing his/her rating?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

250.00-500.00 dollar range----????

have you lost it?? are you really serious? or just stirring the pot?

increasing the fee for a pro rating will deter many qualified jumpers from attaining it, dont kid yourself,
with your ratings and membership fees dont you think you pay ENOUGH?? I do..... strikes me that its extortion at its finest. cause we are willing to accept it.
I am three jumps from my pro-rating, but if the fee were increased I wouldnt bother......

I have no problems with increasing the difficulty in obtaining the pro rating, I think there is waaaay too many people who are unqualified to have it that do in fact have it.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

You charge $250 for the rating the 8 balls you described will not renew their rating.

neither will most........

guess I am just an 8 ball then, what you propose is rediculous

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

If you have some valid ideas please let us in on them. In his first post he said he would like to get ideas for everyone. The only guy to put forth anything worth while is from another country. Just my 2c

Be honest, don't cheat, be professional. It's that easy.

Jump nice
John Wright
John Wright

Jump nice
John Wright

John,
That should go without saying. Now what do we do to make this happen.
Michael
D-5476

Dave, the first one was done before the change to the FAR's. The RWS helped me get the necessary paperwork for the FAA and it was approved. The second one was done after the FAA changed the rules, so it was "legal". This is where the USPA got to step in and that create another level of work that I won't get into in this thread. Bottomline is that although it reads that way in the manual, everything is possible. Although, I will say it is getting tougher and tougher the more USPA gets involved in it.

As far as people offering ideas, what about DZO's and their planes. We nned to make sure that the people getting on the planes to do demos are qualified. The DZO and the S&TA at each drop zone should be doing this. If they are not, thenwe as jumpers need to say something. We all have a stake in this thing. We lose insurance due to unqualified people jumping, we all lose.

The USPA does little to regulate who gets insurance, trust me I have paid thousands of dollars over the years and very few questions are asked. I whole hardly agree with Ron in saying that when the insurance benefit of the USPA (demo and group) is gone, it will be very hard to justify staying a member.

Lastly, what does the money that we pro-rated jumpers give to USPA go. I have heard many scenarios over the years, none of them justifing the added expense of the rating. There shpould be a large sum of extra money just from the pro-rated jumpers. Shouldn't this be used to help offset the curreny cost of insurance?
blue skies,

art

[

Jump nice
John Wright

John,
That should go without saying. Now what do we do to make this happen.
Michael
D-5476

You can't make people do what they are not going to do, all you can do is hold them accountable. If someone does a demo that requires a PRO rating and they don't have one, then suspend thier USPA membership. If a Pro rating holder violates the conditions of the rating then Pull his rating. S&TA's are supposed to be involved in any demo in thier area, they know what is right and what's not. S&TA's do our job, jumpers, do the right thing. Charging a cheat or bandit jumper more money is'nt going to make him do the right thing and neither is increasing the trail of red tape, all it will do is make an already pain in the butt proposition even harder. They way things are now you need at least 2 weeks just for the paperwork to clear into an event of 10,000 or more and it seems to get tougher every time. The system that is in place will work if we use it like we're supposed to. We don't jump if conditions are'nt right, we have the appropriate paperwork, we have QUALIFIED people on the ground. Having to send USPA $500 apiece is not going to make us a better team, it will only piss us off. By the way, just because a suggestion doesn't involve charging more money or increasing paperwork doesn't mean that it's not a valid suggestion.

Jump nice
John Wright
John Wright

As far as people offering ideas, what about DZO's and their planes. We nned to make sure that the people getting on the planes to do demos are qualified. The DZO and the S&TA at each drop zone should be doing this. If they are not, thenwe as jumpers need to say something. We all have a stake in this thing. We lose insurance due to unqualified people jumping, we all lose.

This would be a great place to start, are you listening USPA board members?

I have not read all of the extensive debate in this thread. My feelings are that the PRO rating is a challenging rating to get. I think that if you get your PRO rating fairly you earned it. I have seen a few people getting their PRO's who have really half assed it. Examples: counting non pre declared open field demos as PRO jumps. NOT passing the PRO written exam, (not even close) and then having the test pencil whipped.

Anyway: If people demonstrate the skills and discipline to get the rating, and do it correctly I think they are qualified. Also S&TA's, I/E's and others in positions of authority need to be stringent in making sure the people they are signing off actually meet the requirements.

I have not read all of the extensive debate in this thread. My feelings are that the PRO rating is a challenging rating to get. I think that if you get your PRO rating fairly you earned it. I have seen a few people getting their PRO's who have really half assed it. Examples: counting non pre declared open field demos as PRO jumps. NOT passing the PRO written exam, (not even close) and then having the test pencil whipped.

Anyway: If people demonstrate the skills and discipline to get the rating, and do it correctly I think they are qualified. Also S&TA's, I/E's and others in positions of authority need to be stringent in making sure the people they are signing off actually meet the requirements.

I think we are all on the same page on the issues you mention. Now we need to pressure USPA to see to it that things are done correctly. And I say again, are you listening USPA board.

Lastly, what does the money that we pro-rated jumpers give to USPA go. I have heard many scenarios over the years, none of them justifing the added expense of the rating. There shpould be a large sum of extra money just from the pro-rated jumpers. Shouldn't this be used to help offset the curreny cost of insurance?

You're joking right? :|

As it currently stands...the PRO program is bleeding the USPA general membership fund at a critical rate.

$4.78 of each and every members yearly dues go to subsidize the PRO Demo insurance program...
and even at that rate USPA has to come up with additional funds to cover insurance costs...
that's the reason the insurance rate just doubled as of today!

I've been trying to stay abreast of the current situation as far as demo insurance goes...

and hey gang!

It is REAL likely that it will go away altogether following the next BOD meeting.

It's an emotional issue for me, I've been doing in the area of 100 paid demo jumps a year for the past 20 plus years.

But I do fully under the business decision USPA must make at this point, and the rational behind it.
Don't like it..wish we would have done something 5 years ago to raise the PRO qualifications ...
Perhaps we wouldn't have had so many high dollar insurance claims.

And we wouldn't be in this position of trying to come up with a Band-Aid this late in the game.
Unfortunately it looks as if anything we do may be too little too late!

And to clarify...
PRO stands for Professional,

The definition of a Professional is someone that gets PAID to perform.

If you are a Professional Parachute Demonstration Jumper...how is it that 250.00 bucks will make you stop???

In a business scenario, if the cost of the product goes up...
isn't that cost actually passed on to the consumer?

If said "professional" can't 'afford' to continue in business ...
Then perhaps the business model being used needs revising.

If 250-500 bucks would assure the continuance of the program it would be a small price to pay.
(We average 3500.00 a year for ICAS membership & convention, 1500.00
for PIA)
...we spend over 2000 a year on RESERVE packs for team gear...

Not trying to sound glib or anything, but at just what level are many of the PRO rated jumpers using their ratings?

How many times a year doing demos? Getting Paid?

Maybe Masher's info is a possible way to go...

A 'semi-pro' rating and a Pro rating.

...Make a Skydive...Get a Check! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

So, if someone doesn't mind paying, or can easily afford a $250 rating fee, then they are going to be a professional, concientious jumper that doesn't pencil whip thier quals or lie about thier ability?

I think you missed my point altogether.

No, just paying the money would not make someone a better demo jumper.

But long term it could.

If the money were used toward that end...
as in a program that assisted with and assured compliance of, a more safety stringent demo environment overall.

Two, the bandit jumps will get out of control. If it cost $200 to $300 dollars to get a PRO Rating less people are going to do it. Does that mean that Joe skydiver is still not going to jump into his buddies cookout, I don't think so.

If Joe Skydiver wants to make a bandit jump..so be it.

He will be putting himself at an EXTREME liability risk in doing so.
As without the proper qualifications and credentials insurance wouldn't be available.

[

I think you missed my point altogether.

No, just paying the money would not make someone a better demo jumper.

But long term it could.

If the money were used toward that end...
as in a program that assisted with and assured compliance of, a more safety stringent demo environment overall.

And my point was: If everyone stuck to the rules as they are, then there would be no problem. Follow the rules. Complicating things, increasing fees and adding more red tape does nothing. We don't need a big government approach here.
John Wright

And my point was: If everyone stuck to the rules as they are, then there would be no problem. Follow the rules. Complicating things, increasing fees and adding more red tape does nothing. We don't need a big government approach here.

Unfortunately, that's a big " if "

And as history in this matter has shown, that's just not happening.
The state of matters as far as Pro Demo Insurance is concerned is testament that the present system is inadequate.

"Wishing" everyone would obey the rules, follow the guidelines and play nice...
without any oversight, just isn't working.

If you truly have any constructive input as to how to even approach fixing the current situation facing Demonstration Professionals...I'm all ears!

To say everything would be fine...if it were different,
doesn't merit consideration.

And if you believe things will / should just stay as they are...
you in fact have no concept of the gravity of the situation.

Trust me, unless action is taken to rectify the program, a year from now the 'PRO" rating as it currently stands won't exist.

The only people able to do "insured" demonstrations will be the ones with deep enough pockets to procure liability coverage on their own.

If the idea of being committed enough to getting a PRO rating, doesn't include raising the standards....
wait until you have to come up with 10 grand to cover the premium for a weekend demo on your own.