sputnik

"Blue Skies Forever" in Chinese

So, what? You don't want to be walking around with the real symbols for "this guy's a dork" tattooed on you?

I think no matter what, you'll probably want to find an independant translator to verify it. ;)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

No. Here's how it works.

You ask one person to translate from English in Chinese.

You take the symbols to somebody else and ask him what they mean. Chinese to English.

Playing around with the http://www.freetranslation.com/ translator will give you an idea of how thoughts and ideas can be changed over the course of multiple translations.

For instance . . .

Blues skies black death

to Russian becomes . . .

????? ?????? ?????? ??????

And then back to English becomes . . .

Dark blue heavens black death

So . . . it's kind of different.

Edited to add: Damn it looked so cool on the translation web site, but I guess dz.com doesn't suport Cyrillic.
quade -

After an exhaustive search . . .

http://www.formosa-translation.com/chinese/b/bzz143.html

and

http://www.formosa-translation.com/chinese/f/ff143.html

The web site wants you to -buy- the art, but, um, I don't see why you couldn't just print it out from the web browser or right click and save it.

I would -still- print them out and have somebody else translate them back into english just to be -certain- the meaning, nuance or idiom doesn't change when used in combination with each other.

BTW, here's another cool one.

http://www.formosa-translation.com/chinese/s/ss129.html
quade -

DO NOT USE THAT CHARACTOR FOR BLUE!!
Check that site for the 'blue dragon' charactors. That is correct for blue.

And the other one says 'Heaven' not 'sky' (although its close)

The other pair means 'eternity' not forever (close again)

There must be somewhere to find that. Check Japanese not Chinese sites for a better chance at getting the correct characters....
marc

ps in japan they just call us 'skai daibas' I guess....

But he wanted it in Chinese -- similar but different.

Again, I simply got these from a professional translation web site and as I've warned repeatedly, he probably would want to get independant confirmation of the meanings before comitting them to ink under skin.

BTW are you a student of written Chinese?
quade -

similar but different

not really. when we talk about Japanese writing, we call 'em chinese characters (KanJi) too, cause that's where they came from.....

we've had aome humorous posts before about people not getting the correct characters....:S
I suggest going to a few chinese restaurants and asking the cute waitresses...;)
or stop in Barnes and Noble and look at a dictionary...

BTW are you a student of written Chinese?

heheh, actually I was just sitting outside in the yard reading some chinese writing from the 8th century (seriously, ask alysse she thinks its nuts!), those are characters most modern Chinese or Japanese couldn't even read....the story reads like science fiction... good to get into a different mind space since I aint at 13500 this afternoon!;)

I feel that Written Japanese is to Written Chinese as American English is to the Queen's English.

Similar, but different. In tone. In nuance.

Although I don't personally do language translation -- at all -- I've been exposed to it enough in the business world that I know it can be the source of all sorts of issues.

Good professional translators are worth their weight in gold -- literally.
quade -

Written Japanese is to Written Chinese as American English is to the Queen's English.

funny thing is that in many ways today's japanese writing is closer to the chinese of 1000+ years ago, whereas modern china simplified many characters.

So in a way, Written Japanese Characters (I am not including the 2 different Japanese phonetic alphabets-hiragana and katakana) are more like the 'queens english'....;)

sputnik,
the first character we have problems with..not recognizable as Japanese kanji...next character is 'heavens' not sky but gets the point..next two charcters together are common usage for'eternity'...Japanese kanji for 'black' is similar but not quite the same but it was guessed (by a non-skydiver) as 'black'. 'Death' is common kanji and correct.
i will send this to my colleagues in Hong Kong and see what they tell me it says before i tell them anything...
we think the kanji are attractive ones as well...
good luck...tim
"Work hard, play hard and don't whinge"

the one I mentioned used in 'blue dragon' is correct for blue. or check the first charactor on the TsingTao beer bottle (blue island beer)...

the one you have is correct for black.
everything else is fine.

by the way, of course that doesn't mean that anyone that can actually read it will understand it since its a skydiver saying....

Just to bump up and clarify...I checked my character dictionary for that first version of 'blue' that you found.

It is the character for the plant that produces 'Indigo' dyes for textiles.... The top of the character has ++ which is the tag for plants.
So it's also used for the color 'Indigo' but somehow
'Indigo Skies Forever' doesn't have the same ring to it!;)

AND: the one for sky can be found at http://babelfish.altavista.com/ type in 'Sky'..and choose 'english to japanese', you will see the character for Sora which is Sky not Heaven as the other one was....if you choose 'english to chinese' it is the second of the 2 characters. That one says 'heavensky'...

marc