dkf1979

7 chute cutaway?

I have a question. I was working for a man(remodeling his kitchen). He was telling me that he was in the Navy. And he did a lot of parachute testing. Including what he claimed, testing ejection seats after they had supposedly fixed the problems with the chutes deploying to soon after ejection. But he was telling me his final skydive was a 7 chute cutaway. He said he had problems cutting away his 6th chute and when his 7th opened, he had one swing before impacting the ground. He said when you watch the video, he's putting his hands down as if it's going to save him. He said he broke his back, which he did walk with a cane, and named many other injuries. Anyways. My question is, has ANYONE ever heard of a seven chute cutaway?!?! Or was this guy making sh** up? Also, what kind of scores do you have to get on your Navy entry test to get that job?!?!? Testing broken ejections seats?!?!! ALL RIGHT!!! :S
http://bodypilot.bounceme.net

I don't know about that, but when I was working on getting cleared to radio students, my S&TA told me a story about a radioman in AZ that was simultaneously helping 7 or 8 students to the ground when all of a sudden one had a malfunction. "CUT AWAY!!!" Clink - Clink - Clink - Clink - Clink - Clink - Clink !!!

:D
Seven Chute cutaway!?!?
=========Shaun ==========

My question is, has ANYONE ever heard of a seven chute cutaway?!?! Or was this guy making sh** up? Also, what kind of scores do you have to get on your Navy entry test to get that job?!?!? Testing broken ejections seats?!?!! ALL RIGHT!!! :S

Well, there was this one time at Band Camp.......
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Now thats a good story:)

Raises a question though...How many students will a coach handle (on average) for a radio assist landing?

I've seen 4....all let out on seperate passes....I've "caught" 3 ...landing within 1 min of each other all face planting...friends of mine on there 2nd jump...ahhh memories:)

... seven chutes ... sounds more like a scene from an old barnstormer movie, like "Gypsy Moths."

On the other hand, I have heard plenty of painful stories of testing ejection seats from retired US Navy test parachutists like: "Peckerwood" Joe Crotwell, Chil Meyers, and another guy who posts here regularly.

... seven chutes ... sounds more like a scene from an old barnstormer movie, like "Gypsy Moths."

I know a guy that has the rig supposedly used in the movie...
I've seen it, and actually put it on once years ago.
(He offered...I wouldn't jump it!)

It's a 7 parachute system...
5 parachutes the for intentional cutting away.

Heavy as hell!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Multiple cutaway jumps were once a big hit at airshows, with performers trying to "top" the competition. That's one of the reasons the FAR's now refer to a "single harness dual parachute" system, since systems set up for 6-7 cutaways often had problems.

I was shown photo's of a military demo jump in whisch there was multiple cutaways. The Mnas name is Wayne Walters. Unforunately Wayne broke his back on a jump with me doing a smoke jump. The problem i encountered on opening was a face full of smoke and lost my bearings and found wayne after hard opening broke a couple of suspension lines and landed the wrong way and finished his carreer in the sport. I still feel sometimes that it was my fault for instigating the jump. Blue skies

--------------------------------------------------
who Jah bless Let no man curse.

I don't know about 7 cutaways but Dean at my DZ in England (Lanagar) used to jump a rig which he could do double cutaways on. These were normally planned and were something the dz controller/commentator was in on...except for the first time Dean did it but didn't tell anyone. He jumped and cutaway once as planned meaning that the commentator could whip the crowd up to a frenzy whilst describing the ensuing mal. Then Dean cut away again, which cut the commentator off in mid sentence and probably left him with brown pants as well! This was back in the 60's or early seventies.