AggieDave

Pro Rating?

I'm debating if I should go ahead and get a Pro rating or not. Currently in my area there really isn't a *need* for a pro jumper, since there really aren't any requests for demos, BUT I think I might be able to get people motivated for demo jumps into various events if I had a Pro rating.

Basically, of you out there, how many have a Pro rating and how many of you actually use it?

And those of you out there that have a Pro rating, whose in the Houston area that I could get some advice/teaching from for the requirements (smoke, flags, etc)?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Go get it. Every course you go on, every rating you get, you will learn something. I've done my time of BIG demo's into 60 000 plus seater stadiums, but I keep my PRO rating, cos that way I know what I can do, and there's no bullshit about "the good old days"

I see your path. Round them up and get as many ratings as you can. They'll come in handy later. What you still need? AFF, riggers, Pilot? Go get em.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Go for it Dave, if you build it, they will come. I do 20 to 25 demos a year but it took awhile to get there. Take up Airtwardo on his offer of help, he is one of the most experienced pro jumpers around.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Get it..

I have mine, and have done several Demos. (82d Airborne Demo team 99-02)

You will learn TONs of info about your canopy, and spotting.

I keep mine just incase I need it.

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Thanks guys. I'm going to do a few practice accuracry landings this weekend, then maybe next week I'll start on the *real* ten I have to do.

Airtwardo,

Thank you for your offer, I will most definately be talking to you later. B|

10 in a row, declared stand up landings in a 10 meter circle.

If you get 9 then biff or miss...start over.

There is also a written test,and a card to be filled out.

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

You have to make 10 pre-declared jumps, and land standing up, everytime within a 10 meter diameter circle. Witnessed by 3 people, one of which is a S&TA. It is harder than most people make it sound. Most people can't do it. I haven't been able to yet.

How do ya like it Johnny?

Alright, now that I almost spewed Dr. Pepper all over my keyboard...

That's a good point, but those stands are about 350ft high (my guess), and the wind would generate some SERIOUS rotars, etc.

I am currently practicing to get my PRO rating. You know what I've found??? I have become a much better canopy pilot now that I am actually aiming at a target and trying to hit it!!! I know it sounds silly but I have found a lot of strengths and weaknesses in my canopy control skills just by practicing accuracy. I am gaining more insight into flying in different wind speeds and learning more about my new 9 cell at the same time. Learning any new discipline in this sport is always exciting and challenging. I like how it also opens the forum and things in common to discuss and learn more about with other fellow jumpers. I am learning tons about flying my canopy and gaining self confidence everytime I hit that target.

Who knows, maybe one day that will be me soaring into a stadium with smoke coming out of my shoes as part of a demo formation jump. Dreams can come true ...

JUST DO IT!

Blues,
Jen O
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

That would be f**king scary! The way the stadium is built, I don't think they could pay me enough money to jump into it!

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/texas/college_station_kyle.jpg

Dave,
I have jumped into the Rose Bowl and believe me once you land you realize it's just another F**king football field. Keep after it and you can do it.
Sparky

So how much do they pay for a stadium demo jump?
And what does "keeping the rating" mean? Don't you just get your PRO and that's it, as long as you're using the same canopy?

Frodo,
As with everything, it depends on many factors. But all said and done, 4 figures for 3 or 4 jumpers is not unreasonable.
Sparky