schattenjaeger

How much jumping must one do before you would consider him a "regular"?

'cuz I'm gonna deplete all my money after AFF:( then having to rent's gonna limit me to at mininum 4 jumps a month, occasionally more. Obviously once I get my own gear that's gonna double. but until then, that's like 48 jumps a year at worst:( So how cheap can one get used gear? And I don't mean like super crappy 15 year old gear, at least something decent, but reasonably priced. And what are the odds I could make payments on it? at the very least when summer comes around I can work more and get more money!

Seems like your subject is a completely different question than your post. But, i'll answer the post.

Mirage offers credit, if you have good/decent credit you could probably finance new gear. I highly doubt you'll find a place financing used gear.

I bought all of my gear used:
Javelin tjn, dom 97 or 98, $500
PD reserve, 1 deploy, $680
PD zero-p canopy, 230 jumps, $1000

I do not yet have an aad. Total so far is 2200$.

Angela.

haha, I was kinda rambling while I was typing, just consider it like two questions, sorry. I'm alllmost tempted to go all new and see if I can finance it, 'cuz I'm good at coming up with smaller amounts of money quickly, but bahh:( I guess theroretically I could ask my parents to pay for used gear, then pay them back in installments. Man, picking an expensive hobby when you're 18 is a pain

Man, picking an expensive hobby when you're 18 is a pain

No lie! I started about 14 months ago when I was 17, I'm now 18, only have 49 jumps and just got my A license. I won't be able to afford my own gear for another 6 months minimum, and I'll be financing the majority of it, most likely.

Hey There,

Dropzone.com is an excellant source for used gear, although I don't know too many skydivers who'd take payments :)
Blue skies
Ian
ps: Don't buy gear for where you want/think you'll be in a couple of jumps. Buy gear for your current skill set.
Performance Designs Factory Team

In the summer I was getting quite sick of the rental cost along with 1/2 the time it being unavailable due to the amount of students at my DZ. I had the opportunity to buy used gear at a decent price but didn't have the cash. So I went to the bank and applied for a line of credit. I used part of that money to buy the gear. I'm currently in University and don't have a job so I take more money from the line of credit just to make the monthly payments on the line of credit. Financially this is pretty dumb but I was able to do a lot more jumping and my gear was better than the student gear I had been jumping. Bottom Line: Money isn't everything & I LOVE my Gear!B|

[QUOTE] In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man, picking an expensive hobby when you're 18 is a pain

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No lie! I started about 14 months ago when I was 17, I'm now 18, only have 49 jumps and just got my A license. I won't be able to afford my own gear for another 6 months minimum, and I'll be financing the majority of it, most likely.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah but think how many other 18 year olds are skydivers. Not many. You're lucky you got into it so early, but the time your 20 you'll have hundreds of jumps and still have the jump on age of the average skydiver!

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

My goal is to have at least 200 jumps and a C license by the time I turn 20.

And yes, it's a pretty cool feeling knowing that I'm not your average 18 year old. While I'm at the dropzone for the weekend, jumping out of planes, the average person my age is at home playing Playstation or going to the mall, or dancing, and will never experience all the emotions and sensations involved in our sport B|

At least 100 a year for 10 years, never skipping a single calender month. I'd think they were uncurrent - but regular.

:)
Nah. Every second weekend for 3 months - especially if they came out on a day that looked marginal for jumping.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Dude, sounds like you have a dz where you can actually jump when you have the money. Most of the days I had off this summer (from my peice of shit job) were almost all screwed up by wind and low clouds, and then of course when I go to work it clears up. Damn maritime weather. Now I've got money but it's getting chilly up here in Nova Scotia and the dz's close, so by the time I get out in the spring I'll have spend all my dough on sweet sweet alcohol. This winter will be one major withdrawal
Life is ez
On the dz
Every jumper's dream
3 rigs and an airstream

im 16! and im planning my AFF for next summer after i did a very exciting Tandem.

ive got about £500 out of the 1190 needed and then after that im going to (hopefully) get my parents to fork out some money for second hand gear. I might also sell everything with value that i own

Lol - I started In this sport when I just turned 18 and managed to buy used gear right off the bat. I bought a Used Dolphin, pd193, Tempo, and New Cypress for about $2,200 USD. Here is what I did --
I Just wandered around town walking into banks until I found one that was willing to give me a gear loan. $200 Payements a month for a year took care of that puppy - and I can promise you that if I could find a banker to invest in my crazy ass, you'll find somebody........B|
=========Shaun ==========

'cuz I'm gonna deplete all my money after AFF

Ouch, AFF..... If I had to do That I don't Know if I ever could have become a jumper. I got my Licence on the Dope Rope for less that $400 B|

whas dat? Static line? When was it that you could get licensed for 400$? I bet I could get a few more people into the community at those rates, lol! :D

Angela.

I wish I was a regular. I started during winter, got a couple jumps in and now I haven't been able to jump for a month due to weather. What a real bad time to start. Just hope that it clears up and when it does, I will go ahead, do a couple levels all at once. Worry about gear later on. I need to worry finishing AFF now.

IMO nothing wrong with 10-15 year old gear unless it's been real abused and used or you want to do FF.

Lots of folks spend the big Bucks for new gear make 3-400 jumps and then hang it in their closet and forget it. If you want to do the FF stuff then the"old gear" won't work but for a belly flyer IMO there hasn't been that many changes in gear.

Make sure a your rigger checks outthe gear befor you buy it to make sure it's not ragged out.

IMO A reguler jumper is someone who's at the DZ every weekend when the weathr is jumpable.

R.I.P.

Ouch, AFF..... If I had to do That I don't Know if I ever could have become a jumper. I got my Licence on the Dope Rope for less that $400 B|

$400? cmon shaun, we know that static line is cheap, but not quite that cheap. :P I believe the figure you are looking for is $500, which is still pretty damn good if you ask me.

MB 3528, RB 1182

$400? cmon shaun, we know that static line is cheap, but not quite that cheap. :P I believe the figure you are looking for is $500, which is still pretty damn good if you ask me.

Well, it depends how long ago it was done I guess. Back when I started jumping ;) but in 1981 the first jump course (SL) was $69 with subsequent student jumps at $19 a piece. And the normal jump sequence for that student progression in those days normally was three jumps at each delay level. So you would have to do your minimum of five SLs which included three good DRCPs then you went onto freefall for three hop 'n pops, then three 5 second delays, three tens, three 15s etc till you graduated which usually took in the neighborhood of at least about 25 jumps. And try doing it with old surplus military gear that weighed about 500 lbs (well, maybe not quite THAT much), chest mounted reserve with shot and a half capewell releases and an olive drab 35' T10 canopy with wooden toggles. Ahhh, those were the good ol' days .....

And try doing it with old surplus military gear that weighed about 500 lbs (well, maybe not quite THAT much), chest mounted reserve with shot and a half capewell releases and an olive drab 35' T10 canopy with wooden toggles. Ahhh, those were the good ol' days .....

Oh the memories! I started out like that back then but only got in four jumps in a many months because of high wind speed, > 7 MPH. Hated those landings too. When I restarted last year it was AFF and it is the only way to go.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

I remember those days and frankly, I am glad they are far behind me. Hell I forgot about the wooden toggles. More like little dowels really.

But oh how much fun PLF's were under those round babies. Yeah right! PLF my ass. Hope you don't break something on impact!

Oh look there's the trees! Yippee I guess I get to land in them today! Oh joy!

I'm not bitter really. I just realize now that my current rig is such a better to do things than those days in the Marines.

got real lucky here. had to goto a military freefall school for the navy and found out skydiving was awesome:)on military rounds though, at the end of that impressions were grim, thankfully freefall rocked. was quite the addiction. after the course was finished, was able to walk next door and had to do three coach jumps and two solos to get my A liscence. cost me only $230 for all of it including gear. if i had a wife i'd have sold her into slavery to support the hobby:P