vonSanta

Cold -> wear jacket -> jump = not fun

Just had this wonderful sport teach me a lesson.

Was a bit chilly at -2C on the ground so I decided to wear my jacket.

"Be really thorough when you check your clothes for skydiving suitability." That's the lesson, or one of 'um. I had checked my jacket to ensure it wouldn't get in the way/obstruct in any way - tucked it in, asked a more experienced skydiver if it looked good, it did.

Was doing a 3-way from 1500 B| (the only bellyflying I've done so far was to get qualified to jump with others). Went well even with our bulky clothes - held a star, looking at the beautiful white scenery around us. 1200 - track away. Tracked a wee bit too long - 950 on the altimeter when I went to pull.

Nothing. Hard pull no biggie, pull harder. Hmmm, not good. Oh shite. Might have to go for silver, last try Oh yes, out it goes, phew.

Canopy and traffic - no prob. Altitude check - 550 meters. 550? Eeek. That's 50 below my decision altitude, but it's under canopy after doing my checks.

Anyway, it spooked me. I've learned my lesson though - I'd rather freeze a bit than have that happen again. I grabbed the handle *and* my jacket when I reached back, which was what lead to the "hard pull".

Even though I thought I had it covered and checked and everything, the jacket came in the way. And altitude goes by *real* fast when something doesn't go as planned. Obvious and I knew that beforehand, but experiencing it really brings home the point.

Jackets are no good for skydiving :P.

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

layering is the key when its really cold.
I like to go with a set of thermal underwear,wool socks, long sleeve heavy weight shirt,a sweat set all covered by my jumpsuit (you need a baggy jumpsuit). A good balaclava and muff for your head and throat, and your choice of gloves. If its REALLY cold I pull out my neoprene face mask.

Snow jumps are cool (pun intended).

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

Did 18K loads for tandems in Hollister on Friday, and it was -27F at altitude. We were all wearing neck warmers and several layers, but several people ended up with frostbitten fingers, lips and noses. I'm thinking about getting a full face mask for days like this, but the most important thing is to keep the hands working. I have personally been using latex gloves under my regular weight gloves; this works well as long as it's cold on the ground and in the plane...if not, you can sweat under the latex, which makes it even worse when you hit the air.

Neumann makes winter-weight lined (American)football gloves that work very well; they have tackified palms making it easy to feel and grab all your handles. Don't know where you;d find them in Denmark, though. ;) Goog luck, stay warm!
Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash

Did 18K loads for tandems in Hollister on Friday, and it was -27F at altitude.

Neumann makes winter-weight lined (American)football gloves that work very well; they have tackified palms making it easy to feel and grab all your handles. Don't know where you;d find them in Denmark, though. ;) Goog luck, stay warm!

Okay, I'll stop bitching about 35f on the ground and -10f at altitude here in Dallas on Monday. Of course it is Texas and we don't like cold weather.

I wore winter weight Neumann gloves and my hands were still purple on landing. The freefall was not too bad particularly since the leather side was typically down into the wind but under canopy they just about froze up. I was hiding them behind the risers to keep them out of the wind. I think the fact that they are above your head and the blood runs out of them under canopy is one of the bigger problems. I do like the tackified palms though.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

And altitude goes by *real* fast when something doesn't go as planned. Obvious and I knew that beforehand, but experiencing it really brings home the point.

Jackets are no good for skydiving :P.

I had two incidents like that. The first time was when I first wore my Neumann gloves and I couldn't find my handle for a few seconds. Everything felt different with the gloves on, but I got the hang of it.

Another time I wore my North face jacket liner and I was freeflying that jump. My jacket totally unzipped, popped out of my pants where I had tucked them in, and covered my handle. That sucked. That was around 4. I dropped to 3 before I got it cleared and pulled. I guess it's a good thing I pull higher for reasons like that.

------------------------
Freefly, baby.

on my sunset load jump at perris last saturday, by the time it came to land, my arms were numb up to the elbows from the cold. needless to say, I could barely flare, and my landing was NOT pretty. sigh.

I have since purchased my own gloves, and will be layering them with 1. glove liners, 2. latex gloves, and 3. the actual glove. hopefully I'll be able to feel my fingers next time.

on my sunset load jump at perris last saturday, by the time it came to land, my arms were numb up to the elbows from the cold. needless to say, I could barely flare, and my landing was NOT pretty. sigh.

I have since purchased my own gloves, and will be layering them with 1. glove liners, 2. latex gloves, and 3. the actual glove. hopefully I'll be able to feel my fingers next time.

Yeah, I saw all these experienced jumpers on my load with no gloves on and thought, "oh I'll be fine"... hah, I forgot these guys weren't pulling till about 3-4K and were jumping with much higher wing loadings. Therefore they were in for much shorter rides... I thought I might be frostbitten when I was trying to gather up my canopy to walk inside.

Never go to a DZ strip show.

I saw a guy once go up for a freefly jump in a pair of nylon running/warmup pants that he had put on *over* his harness. Needless to say, as soon as he hit the air, they fell right down, and he spent the entire skydive in a sort of cannonball, trying to keep his pants on.

Opening was uneventful, but there were no winds and he had a fairly fast canopy, so it was particularly funny watching him try to run out his landing with his pants around his ankles.

Matt
-----

I do CRW in the middle of winter. Here's my receipe to keep warm: 1) fleece base layer -tops & bottoms; 2) windproof tee-shirt, 3) windproof jacket (or 2) & pants -- zipper pulls all safe & snug. For hands, I use a windproof glove liner (or 2) with a leather glove outter; windproof balaclava (or 2) & I'm good to go. If its REAL cold, I'll throw on some long thermal underwear.

Yes, I do feel like the Michelin man, but I'm warm & toasty.:)

Something else I recently learned...

While jumping into the Kitty Hawk Demo
we all wore flotation devises...
just in case!

I often wear such a device while
performing Demos...

I use a 'Horse Collar' type generally seen during
those obnoxious "Flight Attendant" briefings
on commercial airliners....
(Don't Ask!) ;)

They ARE the best type if there
is any real possibility of getting wet...

Anyway,
during the demos I most often do...
little free fall is involved...
mostly short delays then open.

I still have the bruises caused by a minute of
terminal RW with the stiff vinyl beating my neck!!!

Live & Learn! :$

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

the other thing to consider with all that stuff on is not just feeling your fingers but feeling what you're grabbing. I only wear golfing gloves (NOT A GOLFER) but they're leather and thin I sacrifice no feeling while staying marginally warm.

On really cold days I have a carhart bodysuit .. It's unbeatable for warmth and has no flappy parts that could become dangerous.

I travel the land, Work in the ocean, Play in the sky

Hmmm..
Guess I'm too much of a wimp to try jumping in the cold...gotta hope for a break in the weather in February.

If i try it..
I have a fairly tight jumpsuit -
would it be a better idea to try wearing some thin layers under it, or screw the suit and wear some nice polypro etc.?

I look at it like this ..

Whatever combination of clothing works best for you to keep warm so long as you don't

1 Restrict your movement as to impede your normal flight or emergency procedures

2 bundle up so much so that you are not aware of your normal senses.. like gloves that are so thick you cannot feel with or something like a face mask in your helmet that it could accidentally cover your eyes in ff

3 wear clothes that flop in the wind or that cannot be definately secured so that there is absolutely no chance of them getting in the way of either normal or emergency procedures

4 saccrifice too much comfort or provide too much of a distraction when you jump

and that all little things like tassles zippergrips ect have to be secured otherwise ..You'll be sorry when they slap the hell out of your face.

But I'm only telling you because you asked.. I would advise that if you're unsure of something especially a first time.. to Bring beer and also ask someone at your dz with sound judgement (dzo, s+ ta, or rigger) before you go up

I travel the land, Work in the ocean, Play in the sky

I would suggest you to purchase an isothermic cloth plus wear multiple layers of T-shirts. A full face helmet and a neck protection will work very good. Regarding fingers.... hm .... no suggestion. I am still jumping my neuman gloves.