John4455

NFL Stadium Demos

Have you ever seen the new camera system that the networks use at a lot of NFL games now. The camera suspends above the field on a network of cables. The playoff games all use them, and during the regular season it was used for select games. Saturday night I was at the Panthers/Cowboys game, and could see that it would probably eliminate any chance of demos into NFL games. I bet it is only a matter of time before this camera system is use at every NFL game.
By the way, "how bout them cowboys"

How do ya like it Johnny?

Our demo team, The Art of Skydiving, did a demo into Alltel Stadium in Jacksonville for a Jaguars/Bucs NFL pre-game on November 30th with the SkyCam system in place. We coordinated the jump with ESPN. The camera is operated with 4 wires attached to top of the corner light posts. ESPN removed one of the wires from the camera letting it droop from that light pole and pulled the camera in to the opposite corner pole as far as it would go - about the 15 yard line. We had to change our approach into the stadium (shortening our base leg) but it still can be done! It was a night game and the wires were invisable but we had preplanned our approach pattern and made sure we took the SkyCam wires out of the equation. Also, we have made about 12 jumps into the stadium since 1997 and are familiar with the nuances of jumping into it. Did I mention one of the jumpers did a tandem that night with the Jacksonville mascot?
"I have magic buttons ;)." skymama

Did I mention one of the jumpers did a tandem that night with the Jacksonville mascot?

A tandem into the stadium? Isn't that umm... cheating?

(btw: NIGHT JUMPS into a STADIUM... YEE-ahh! B|!)
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

We went to the field before the jump and saw the camera and wires but they were not able to move them into the position they would be in during the jump while we were there. They pointed out for us where they would be and where the camera would be. Then we confirmed that they were in place before we jumped.
"I have magic buttons ;)." skymama

Did I mention one of the jumpers did a tandem that night with the Jacksonville mascot?

I assume the mascot took off the big headpeice for the tandem right? otherwise it seems to me it would be hard for the tm to see around a giant head.

ooohh just thought of something... did you mean the tandem passenger was a stuffed animal or dummy or something?

MB 3528, RB 1182

I assume the mascot took off the big headpeice for the tandem right? otherwise it seems to me it would be hard for the tm to see around a giant head.

ooohh just thought of something... did you mean the tandem passenger was a stuffed animal or dummy or something?

http://www.sidsrigging.com/rants/jax.htm check the pictures. The Tandem Passenger is a licensed skydiver who is also the actual nfl mascot. He's in full costume - flying in with Tandem Instructor Art Shaffer, and THAT'S why he's the man!!
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

those are pretty funny pictures. I guess its a good thing the mascot is a skydiver, cause it looks like the tm can't see around him and so the passenger has to land them.
then again, that probably explains that landing photo. :D

MB 3528, RB 1182

Actually, the reason the landing is the way it is, is because the mascot is reaching for the ground, something we could all use a lesson in.

Thanks Sid for the complement! Although at some point above the stadium that night, I sure did'y feel like the man!
blue skies,

art