wahberee

Newbie to Skydiving with many many questions...

Hey all,
My name is Rob and Im from Long Island NY and I had a goal to skydive before I turned 20. I just turned 19 so this is the year, so you know. haha, Ive been searching online for places to skydive and I thought, "why not ask people who have experience?". I was wondering what were the best places to skydive in the tri-state Area?? I rode rollercoasters and I feared them to death when I first rode em, but after the first ride I was hooked.. Is skydiving similar??
Thanks in advance,
Rob

This is your year B|

I'm sure there are DZ closer to you than Skydive Cross Keys in Williamstown NJ, but I doubt you will find a cooler one.
Some folks from the NY area also go to Hazleton, PA which is the other one I frequent.

I'd guess its about 2 hours from you.

Yes, its extra habit forming. Scared the crap out of me at first. Still scares the crap out of me but I cant stop doing it B|

mmmm, maybe on baloon or helicopter jumps you get that feeling. BASE too from what I hear.
With planes you are already doin close to 100 mph goin out the door.
You dont accellerate so much as change direction. You dont get that "gut" feeling you are talking about jumping from planes.
Takes about 8 or 9 seconds to reach terminal.

I rode rollercoasters and I feared them to death when I first rode em, but after the first ride I was hooked.. Is skydiving similar??
Thanks in advance,
Rob

Oh please, rollercoasters are scary!!!! Stick with skydiving:)

Jumping from a moving plane, you do not get the "stomach slapping you in the face" feeling like you do when you ride rollercoasters, but you do get a surge of fear-induced adreneline. People like skydiving for a variety of reasons - some love the freefall, some love the canopy ride. This is why there are so many disciplines in the sport - belly flying (Relative Work), free flying (flying in the sit position or on your head, etc), free style (more dance-oriented manuvers), CRW (canopy relative work), etc... For now, I recommend tandem for anyone's first jump so you can get the sensation of freefalling and the canopy ride without having too much responsibility put on you. You never know, skydiving may not be your gig - but I hope you have a great time. Be safe - that is the most important thing you can do. :)
PMS#28, Pelogrande Rodriguez#1074
My Pink M

The scariest thing about your first jump is anticipation, I didn't find it anything like a roller coaster. I think you'll probly find that as you go through first jump course you'll fear it less as you learn a bit about the mechanics of skydiving. The JM's and instructors make their livings by making people feel safer after all. BTW try to go on a day with a forecast free of clouds and winds less than 10 mph. Doing the course and then not jumping the same day blows.
Life is ez
On the dz
Every jumper's dream
3 rigs and an airstream

DO A TANDEM... FOR SURE!!! The only way to go to experience skydiving. That way you get it all. 60 seconds of freefall from 14,000 feet. And training takes about 1/2 hour. Ignorance is bliss!!! The S/L jump is nothing compared to a tandem jump. Roller coaster.... HA!!!!! You'll soon forget about that wimpy roller coaster.
http://bodypilot.bounceme.net

Well, I don't feel that skydiving and riding rollercoasters can really be in the same category. I don't know about other skydivers, but I have never got the "gut feeling" in skydiving. It's awesome (not saying rollercoasters aren't awesome just different). I can only speak from experience about DZs to try. I know there are people from LI who go to the Ranch (one of my regular DZs), and I also know a few people who go to Sky's the Limit. STL is a "smaller" DZ, but still flies more than just the cessna (it regularly flies the caravan, and sometimes gets the otter in also). Just my 2 cents.

blue skies,
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

I would also look at Sky's the Limit in Newton, NJ. It is a DZ that combines a small DZ feel with turbine airplanes - a rare find IMHO. Really nice drop zone, good people, and great instructors. They have had a grand caravan and next summer are adding an otter. I learned there and try to jump there every time i'm on the east coast.
I am the captain of my soul.

Ive been searching online for places to skydive and I thought, "why not ask people who have experience?". I was wondering what were the best places to skydive in the tri-state Area??

Gosh, there are a lot of places in your area. There are at least two very different dropzones on Long Island, a few more North and West of the city, and a couple in New Jersey.

Check the USPA web site for a listing of affiliated dropzones at http://uspa.org/dz/index.htm.

Call each and compare them. You will find significant differences in price, programs, history, size, airplanes, altitude, and style. It's important to evaluate each dropzone and then pick the one that seems best for you. Your needs will be different than those of experienced jumpers, and perhaps different than those of other students.

There are tons of posts here about topic, and other posters have already suggested specific dropzones. There are also a couple of good books that offer excellent wintertime reading and will help you make an informed decision.

The first book is one I wrote specifically for people like you who don't have any jumps yet, but wonder what the sport is all about, how safe it is, how to find a dropzone, how dropzones and instructors are certified, and how to select among several competing dropzones. The book was published last spring by McGraw-Hill and is called JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy.

Another good book is called Parachuting:The Skydivers Handbook. It is published by ParaPublishing and is targeted at a more experienced jumper, but has a pile of great information for those who have yet to make their first jump. I strongly recommend The Skydivers Handbook if you think you will be sticking with the sport, and especially recommend it for those new skydivers with a few jumps who are lurking this thread.

Both books are available at many local bookstores, and can be ordered on line at a discount at places like Amazon.com.

Good luck, and I hope to see you in the sky next summer.

Tom Buchanan
Instructor (AFF, SL, IAD, Tandem)
S&TA
Coach Course Director
Author JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

www.freefalladventures.com 2 hrs from Manhattan.
www.skydivejerseyshore.com
1 Hr from Manhattan.
www.skysthelimit.net
1 Hr from Manhattan

don't forget: www.ranchskydive.com
or skydivetheranch.com for the students:)
blue skies,
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

Yes, its extra habit forming. Scared the crap out of me at first. Still scares the crap out of me but I cant stop doing it

LOL, this is exactly how I feel!
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Ill check that out,
wow, I thought skydiving was simple according to some websites. They say that training only takes an hour but as far as I see, there is no way that all the stuff I read could be fit into only a single hour. I greatly appreciate all the links and information yall have provided, and Ill definitely research all my options before choosing a DZ. Also, I dunno if it matters or not, but what DZ has the best view???

Ill check that out,
wow, I thought skydiving was simple according to some websites. They say that training only takes an hour but as far as I see, there is no way that all the stuff I read could be fit into only a single hour.

Actually, the training for a tandem skydive can be done in about 30 minutes. AFF and Static line training takes much longer.

Tom Buchanan
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy