panzwami

what's the lowest you've ever exited?

Got a question. If someone last month did 500 jumps in 24 hours...

500/24 =20 jumps an hour roughly.

That equates to one every 3 min.

I'm sure that rigs were prepacked, but he must have jumped from, what, a grand. Anyone have intel or info on this...
Until you've stepped out at 800' in the dead of night with 100 lbs of chute and equipment.. you haven't jumped. AIRBORNE !

I'm sure that rigs were prepacked, but he must have jumped from, what, a grand. Anyone have intel or info on this...

Yep. I was there helping out along with many others including a lot of DZ.commers.

He exited at 2100 AGL spiraled down and landed. Used over 20 rigs, and a bunch of packers.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

2,000 feet on a demo jump in Halifax.
Oh! Wait a minute, the Halifax commons are several hundred feet above sea level and apartment buildings around the commons are several hundred feet above the commons.

1,100 feet on a military static-line

600 feet off Kockertalle Bridge

When was that if you don't mind me asking? Was it December in '89 in the tropics or was it in '83 on a small island?

Mike
Until you've stepped out at 800' in the dead of night with 100 lbs of chute and equipment.. you haven't jumped. AIRBORNE !

Got a question. If someone last month did 500 jumps in 24 hours...

500/24 =20 jumps an hour roughly.

That equates to one every 3 min.

Info. The last 10 hours were completed in the rain.B|

400 feet was without a reserve.. US Army testing center 1988 Fort Bragg, NC testing a new German type parachute for possible purchase... It did not go through thank god.....

It was scarey.... exit open land like that.....
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

Not me, but I've seen someone exit at 240' with a skydiving rig (not a base rig), and it was his first or second jump on the main.

Sounds like Steve "Deadman" Morrell.

His first jump on the main was from 600'. IIRC, it was a Precision Interceptor.

His second was supposed to be from 250', but the plane lost some altitude on jump run. It took less than 10 seconds between letting go of the strut to hitting the peas.

I still have pictures of that jump somewhere. I just kept him in frame with the camera in continuous mode, and it used less than a roll of film.

Much of what Steve did fell into the "don't try this at home" category.

Blue skies,

Winsor

Sounds like Steve "Deadman" Morrell.

His first jump on the main was from 600'. IIRC, it was a Precision Interceptor.

His second was supposed to be from 250', but the plane lost some altitude on jump run. It took less than 10 seconds between letting go of the strut to hitting the peas.

I still have pictures of that jump somewhere. I just kept him in frame with the camera in continuous mode, and it used less than a roll of film.

Much of what Steve did fell into the "don't try this at home" category.

I have the video...from the plane and from the ground....

YIKES!!!! BIG Trees!
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Holy Chihuahua, sum you guys mucho loco!

Emergency situations, yes, but just because of low cloud base????

I'm the first in when it comes to a double diamond run or a really hairy mountain bike run..., but if it ain't on fire or going in, I'll sit tight at less than 2.5k(Saber 2's do like to snivel a while)

400'

Night combat jump in the military. Was supposed to be 800'. Pilot flew over a four hundred foot hill (the panels were a little far out, but we weren't informed of a 400' hill on the dz during the MACO briefing.

Whole stick got out. I did my four thousand count, checked canopy and WHAMMO!!. Hit the dirt. I looked up at my canopy wondering what the hell I missed. Then, I thought is anything busted. About then, a Major landed next to me and got a concussion, so I helped him out till medics arrived.

All in all the whole stick landed after exiting at 400' and no serious injuries.

military round (Bravos) at normal C-130 exit speed. Whew! That coulda been a really bad night.

Combat gear, Keith -- huh? Hard to imagine that many jumpers getting out with rucks between their legs and no one (but the major) getting injured (ESPECIALLY broken legs with a ruck still strapped between them!) (You didn't say anything about deploying the ruck to its lowering line, which if my memory serves me correct it was to be done at 200' or no lower than tree top level). The few severe injuries I tended to on jumps as an SF medic was guys landing with rucks. Your stick was @#$% lucky!

Doc Phelps

No. No one lowered their rucks. During the debrief, we discussed this. We surmised that the lack of injuries was because we weren't ready for the landing and were relaxed.

You know how the night jumps went. Did all your chaecks and then started tightening up. Tightened more after lowering the ruck and hearing the first thunk.

That was about the only conclusion we could come to was every one was relaxed, we hit on the side of an embankment and hadn't started the night jump internal tension knot. The Major hit feet first and was off balance and fell "up" the embankment so he had two points of contact - feet; head.

One of those jumps where everything that could go wrong did and we were lucky to have a positive outcome. Amazing. Some jumps where everything was perfect and busted legs. Made a night jump at Ft. Bliss Old Coe DZ. No wind, full moon, in the desert, ground could be seen from the aircraft. Three busted legs outta three A Teams. Go figure.