Reginald

Helicopter Jumps

My DZ is getting a helicopter in a few weeks, just for a weekend. I don’t know what kind it is but it is supposedly a French made, 4 jumper model.

Since, I’m a very low timer what can I expect in terms of altitude, etc. I guess it’s more like a balloon jump than a plane jump as there will be very little forward speed?

Thoughts?
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Hi Reginald, boy are you going to love your first jump out of a whirlybird!!

I've done a couple and they are amazing. It's a completely different feeling. They probably won't take you to full altitude, my guess would be 5 to 6K feet.

The fun part of the jump is when you release. On planes you have the forward movement which gives you some "air" to fly your body on. From the helicopter you feel nothing, all the basic body positions just don't work until you pick up some freefall speed.

That first 5 -8 seconds feels really weird and great at the same time. It's kinda like a base jump, from higher up and a little bit safer. lol

Enjoy it!

Dayle

Yea, these jumps are kick ass, and as said before, its like BASE until you pick up some free fall, so if you Fre Fly, or Rw, use that to some practice for a relaxed set exit, so when you go bak to the plane, maybe you can bulid some exit skillz, lol. PartyBoy

Up High!!

It is almost certainly an Alouette II helicopter photo. We had it at our DZ a few weeks ago, and it was at Lake Wales over Christmas. Good fun for a jump. You get 5,000 feet and can do a 4-way if you hustle. Well worth the price for one's first chopper jump.

edit to add: The doors aren't on it when you jump.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Think of the turbulence from a chopper. Probably not to many hop n' pops from a helicopter.

Sure you can, it just needs to be with some forward speed instead of from a hover. The 8th WPC in CF was done with a Russian Mi-8 helicopter. It was a blast doing CRW from it.

Bob

go for the helicopter.
depending on the type of chopper, and the price you pay, it will take you high... I did a 11k jump in Switzerland for a friends birthday... Was awesome.
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

Excellent, awesone.....

Try as many exits as you can from it (especially if it howers). Try a base exit or just fall in your back.....

Remember not to jump when you exit (there are some rotating blades above your head)

Hop n pop isnt a problem but just it might have a bigger delay on opening due to subterminal.

Enjoy!

Hey reg,
Skydive Dallas is going to have a chopper for a weekend, here is the email I got about it:

HELICOPTER JANUARY 17 & 18
That's right, we'll be jumping from an Allouette II helicopter here on the
weekend of January 17 & 18. There's no registration fee. Jumps are just $30!
It will take four jumpers to 4,500' in about seven minutes. All four jumpers
may exit at one time. There's no sign up, just be here!

Sounds like a pretty good deal. You may want to call and check to see if there is going to be qualifications to jump it, though.

Ted
Like a giddy school girl.

We had a little Bell Ranger 206B at our DZ in December. We could take 3 jumpers at a time (heli takes 5 people - pilot + co-pilot+3 skydivers).

The exits were great from 5k but once you have done 2 it becomes a tad boring. The BEST thing was the ride - sitting in the door with your feet hanging out. The view was AWESOME B|.

The guys later did some fun exits: hanging from the strut etc.

Choppers are great fun, just remember not to kick away on exit.
Grounded?!?!?! Whadda ya mean I'm "GROUNDED"?!?!?!?!

Helicopter jumps ROCK!;)
If its Crosskeys copter you'll get 5000 or a little less, you exit off the skids while in a hover, very little or no forward airspeed. Very similar to a Balloon jump but with lots of noise, it is a dead air exit, no relative wind with which to work. Watched one of my Bros flail like a fish out of water, hilarious:D.
We had the copter last year at our Mardi Gras Boogie and I jumped the heck out of it!
If Rod ever flies his Bell 412 (used to fly at WFFC) again for jumpers and you get the chance to ride it, DO SO! The aerobatic joyride is worth every penny by itself.

Helicopter jumps ROCK!;)

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

Hi you, at first you should check out what it needs for a helicopter jump. At 2nd: simply ask your instructor! He will know what to tell you. And at 3rd: It's just fun! If you decide to jump, be aware of few things:

Do your exit flat (!), no matter which way, do not jump up! At first, you will fall into a big fat silence: So weird, so unexpected, be aware it needs several seconds, before you catch a freefall "air pillow"!

At this stage you already lost a lot of altitude, you should be able to stabilize quick before pulling! Most small helicopters (we were 4 jumpers) only go to a certain altitude of 2k meters (5.5k to 6k ft). The ride itself is a thrill: no door, I was so lucky to sit behind the pilot in the corner. Depending on weather conditions: might be cold, anyhow it's more than simply windy! After reaching 2k m, I was totally frozen, but after a dive exit, totally relaxed, enjoying every single second!

Have a nice jump and after, let's just know!

dudeist skydiver # 3105

We just had a visit from this very same helicopter this weekend at Sky Dive San Marcos. Did 9 loads in something like 2 hours Saturday.

Do Not pass this up. That was a badass jump from around 5k. The exit is really unbelievable.B|
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock