schattenjaeger

My exciting first hop n' pop story!

Alright, I'm lying, I'm kinda jealous, I see all these hair raising white knuckled first hop n' pop stories, and mine can best be summed up with "stable floating exit, deployed within 5 seconds, good canopy, good landing"

The people watching from the door were sorely dissapointed, and I'm pretty sure a few people lost money when I landed:)

TURBINE BABY???

Go live in Cessna land (no choice for me) and you'll learn that 'hop n pop is a regular part of our weekends.

I'm looking forward to the day that the DZO lets us do a pass at 2300 ft ... this means a true 'clear and pull' for my license in Canada . I'd take a 5 count off the step with my Raven main (rules be damned) and think nothing special of it - except that I know the BSR's are there for a reason ... like dudes with Cobalts or other "Snivelies" trying the same thing who'd be paying for a new Cypres cutter if they tried that same manouver :o:)(I'm naked WRT an AAD)

You want excitement and hair-raising? Try a horseshoe entanglement after an 8 sec. delay form 3k when you trip over the jumpmaster and "think" you're stable after a 5-6 second frontloop.

Don't be jealous. That was neither fun nor intended.

Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

Go live in Cessna land (no choice for me) and you'll learn that 'hop n pop is a regular part of our weekends.

Hop n pops are great. Especially first thing in the morning. They dont take too long (or cost as much money) and I find them really relaxing. Even better... a high load and someone gets out for a hop n pop! Because then the ride is a little more comfy B|

Back in '81 when i was a college student at ERAU, jumping in Deland, I just had bought a used square, a heavy cloud 310 sq.'. The DC-3, Mr.Douglas, was heading out & offered a free hop & pop from 3000' for those who wanted to go. Got out, waited 5 secs, pulled, malfunction:(. One of the brake lines released & rapped around part of the canopy, 4 cells inflated out of 7. I thought I could clear it when I realized I could not, I was to low. I figured out how to make it fly straight & landing near The Relative Workshop. The best plf I have ever done, walked away from that one.:)
Life's a Beach, Not a Mountain.

My Stage 8 AFF (hop n pop is Stage 9 in Oz) was also my 1st jump from an Islander. I hit the undercarriage (near the door on an Islander) on exit, sending me unstabe.

I thought I would do a nice easy practice exit from height before doing my "scary" stage 9, so manifested for a solo.

Unfortunately, when the plane got to 3,000 ft there was an engine failure and the pilot ordered "everyone out" .... so I got my hop n pop anyway! (the person behind me said I only just missed the undercarriage again).

Not too exciting (Islanders are twin engine), but exciting enough for me at the time .... and I didnt have to pay for my slot for my last AFF jump.:)