AggieDave

Anything different about a Helicopter jump?

I'm curious if there's anything I need to think of, in the difference between a helicopter jump and a balloon jump.

See, we have a helicopter coming to Aggieland this weekend for jumping and I wanted to be prepaired.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

You may have more people in the air in with low airspeed and little time to separate. Depending on altitude, forward speed and number exiting at once freefall/opening collisions may be more of a risk. Also may have people exiting both sides facing away from each other and not aware of each other in the air. Especially watch out for low timers who want to open high and may not be efficient trackers.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

yeah, I had a guy track the wrong direction away from the helicopter and open directly beneath me. He got turned around during freefall and tracked 180 degrees from the direction he should have tracked. I dunno if this was directly related to the helicopter itself, or just to the fact that he was inexperienced and just made a mistake, but it's still something for which to watch out.

Matt
-----

prices: nearly the same

Sort of, I haven't had a lot of experience with them, but I know that the helicopter is going to be considerably cheaper then the balloon I got to jump.

Thanks for all the good info guys!B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The pilot may ask you to not jump off the strut - just fall off. It's like a pendulum under the rotors, and if you jump, the body of the helicopter has a tendency to swing back, making it more difficult for the pilot to control.

Have fun!
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

just fall off

especially if its a small helicopter.Aerodynamics, its just like a balloon jump except you get to exit right over a landing area that the pilot picks,not Mother Nature.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

Pretty similar to balloon jumps but noisier, better spots and usually cheaper.
Being prepared means bringing lots of money, cause you'll want to jump it again and again and again;)..........

Typicaly you'll receive a quick briefing before boarding about seatbelts, exit order and keeping the aircraft balanced (especially on smaller copters). Exits are usually done simultaneously from both sides of the copter in balanced groups 2,4 ect... And you will usually exit from the skid facing in holding onto either your refastened seatbelt or the door frame to facilitate balanced exit. Awareness of others at breakoff is essential.

Helicopter jumps ROCK!

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

I've got 5 chopper jumps to date. My advise? Chopper pilot have no freaking idea how to spot, what spotting is, or why they should give you a decent spot. They don't take kindly to input when I asked them to go a little farther So I could at least jump out upwind.
=========Shaun ==========

A helicopter does not fly by aerodynamic principles, it beats the air into submission.

Gee I was told by a chopper pilot that they really don't fly.. they are in a semi-controlled state of crash at all times they are off the ground.

LMAO "dont jump up" classic

anyways whats a typical altitude for a helicopter jump. And what type of helicopter have any of you all jumped out of ???
Blue ones
Jim

Blackhawks, way overpowered climb like a rocket

Chinooks "the only aircraft known to man that can have a midair collision with itself. Nice tailgate, fast rate of climb, older models leak hydraulic oil like a pig, take baby step no runing or launching a tube.

Huey's a classic we were told to keep our legs inside the bird on liftoff. If it has to land real quick the skids will collapse and your legs will get hurt.

Most jumps were fom 12.5 but some chopper pilot's, and some choppers don't like going above "x" altitude in case the rubber band breaks they can auto rotate and land unless their to high and they run out of oil propr to landing. Then the bades stop turning and the chopper will fall like a rock.

Btw we got about 75 jumps out of these birds and they never took off staight up or hovered on exit. Something about the loss of efficency and extra power required.

Enjoy

R.I.P.

BTW $1/day;)

Btw we got about 75 jumps out of these birds and they never took off staight up or hovered on exit. Something about the loss of efficency and extra power required.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It is called "translational lift." As soon as forward airspeed exceeds 40 knots, the rotors stop behaving like a bunch of skinny blades flying in loose formation. In forward flight the rotor starts acting like one big wing, dramatically reducing power requirements and fuel consumption. The flip side is being able to take-off at much greater weights for the same horsepower.
For example, a typical light helicopter may only be able to hover (out of ground effect) at 5,000 feet when its ceiling is more like 8,000 or 10,000 feet.

just fall off

I myself have never done one :( , BUT I have awesome video of a friend of mine doing a Helicopter BASE (yes i realize its not quite BASE since it's not a fixed object, but it was really low and they all have BASE rigs...). I believe it was a six way, three on each side of the Heli, and that's what they did, was just fall off. I'll have to post it, it's pretty badass. ;)

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

It is called "translational lift."

A helicopter in a ground effect hover must induce all the airflow straight down thru the rotor system.Many factors are involved such as rotor system design,winds ect. A by product of the creation of lift by the rotor system with induced flow straight down thru the rotor system is vortices on the outboard portion of the rotor blades.These vortices cause the rotor system to produce less lift.As the helicopter starts to move foward the rotor system begins to outfly these vortices.Between 16 to 24 knots the rotor disc has completely outflown the vortices and begins to produce more lift.It takes the same amount of power to hover a helicopter as it does to climb.An out of ground effect hover requires even more power and creates even larger vortices.
My 2 cents.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

So, is this the Allouit II (okay I know i blew the spelling). I think it is going to be in Dallas this comming weekend, although the weather is looking like crap.

So how was it?
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP