Stumpy

Skydiving feature films

A great corny one is Adrenaline
A Dutch/South-African production (the actors talk english)

http://www.adrenaline-themovie.com/media/trailer.html
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0318276/

It has some cool base-jumps (mostly in cape-town South Africa), and one of the worst plots/stories ever...I had a blast...
It's avialable everywhere for a few bucks here in holland..:)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

The folks in Hollywood do a lot of unrealistic stuff that looks really cheezy to folks in the know - and not just in skydiving.

If you reallyw want some good footage, might I suggest "Good Stuff" or some of the other professionally made videos (many on DVD!). On rainy days at my old DZ in FL, we would play one of those, and it would keep veterans and whuffos alike entertained for hours.

Most DZ gear stores have some videos, but if yours doesn't try paragear.com. If you're wondering which videos are best, anything with footage from Norman Kent will be very good. Swoop competition footage always draws ooohs and ahs. Ask around, too...

Cheers-

Blue skies

FunBobby

ACTION:

Terminal Velocity
Drop Zone
Cutaway (in that order)

COMEDY:

Fandango

HAVEN'T SEEN IT, SO I CAN'T COMMENT:

Gypsy Moths

GOOD MOVIE WITH SOME SKYDIVING IN IT:

Point Break
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

Doesn't Austin Powers skydive into his car in the beginning of Goldmember? I'm not sure if I'm remembering the movie right though. I know he's coming from the sky and landing into his car. He might be paragliding. I can't remember at all. Was he skydiving or paragliding? Anybody know?
I'm so funny I crack my head open!

P.M.S. #102

There is an old black & white film from the mid sixties called The Skydivers.
Caught it on late night TV once. Terrible plot and acting, but for the time some good jumps.
Anyone else ever seen it?
Watch my video Fat Women
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRWkEky8GoI

Gypsy Moths - good flick, 1969, about a barnstorming-type skydive exhibition team, Burt Lancaster, Gene Hackman, has one of the most accurate depictions of the sport of skydiving without all the Hollywood-hype, BS, and inaccuracies. It's a good nostalgia film about the early days of the sport. I just picked up a copy of it on DVD a few weeks ago. Good film and I'd recommend it.....

We had a discussion once on our DZ, about whether or not a person without a rig can hold onto another skydiver thru opening. General concensus was No, but then I showed them it could be done: by getting the tape of Charlie's Angels out of my car and showing the first couple minutes :P

ciel bleu,
Saskia

"Skydiving feature films"

I always thought of that as an oxymoron;)

But seriously, I have yet to see any skydiving-heavy flic that was both skydiving realistic AND a decent story with good acting. The closest I've ever seen to the latter would have to be "Point Break" and "Dropzone"

"Cutaway" had some great skydiving footage, but they dumbed it down for the whuffo crowd and--I hate to say this--the acting was lame.

But I could be wrong . . . .
“Keep your elbow up!"

Anyone who made their first jump before about 1982 will realize that the portrait of parachuting in Fandango is very realistic. That's what makes it soooo funny.

I did (1976 on a 28' round). I'll have to check out that flick. I'm guessing it'll be hard to find???
“Keep your elbow up!"

"Cutaway" had some great skydiving footage, but they dumbed it down for the whuffo crowd and--I hate to say this--the acting was lame.

But I could be wrong . . . .

Hey, the film stared Dennis Rodman and one of the lesser Baldwin brothers of COURSE the acting was lame!
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I just rented a really bad skydiving movie. Got suckered in by the cool photo on the DVD cover of HAHO jumpers coming out of the back of a tailgate with skyboards on. None of which was actually in the movie.

It was called Extreme Heist. Really low budget. Some of it was filmed at Cal City.

Avoid this movie. I just fastforwarded to the skydiving parts because the plot was so bad not to mention the acting.
David

"Socrates wasn't killed because he had the answer.......he was killed because he asked the question."

Which is the one with Denzel, Dropzone? I'm jonesin for some cheesy action flick. through in some skydiving and you've just made my day!

I don't think Denzel Washington was in any skydiving flicks. Are you maybe referring to Wesley Snipes? I think he was in Dropzone....