jlyons

Winter (Non-Jumping) Blues

Just wondering if anyone else out there in the cold climates of the earth just get a bit irritated when they have to spend months out of the air due to shit weather? This complication caused me to apply to graduate schools for next year where it is warm year round. Blue skies...please.

Jeremy -

Here in Pennsylvania, and you are right, the weather really bites the big one.

I personally could not stand - to not jump. So I went to Eloy for the first time on December 14 for 10 days just so I could get my "A"

Then I came back here and froze my "A" off, and then realized, it is so frigin cold this Winter out here that my damn currency is going to expire before I can get back in the air - and even though that just means jumping with an instructor once to get checked out if you have not jumped within 60 days, I paid too much to go backwards.

So I am going out to Eloy again February 14th for a bit just to A) Get into something warmer than 30 degrees and B) Enjoy the sport. For $200 round trip from PA to Phoenix, I "can't not"

TOM

"The helicopter approaches closer than any other to fulfillment
of mankind's ancient dreams of a magic carpet" - Igor Sikorsky

Tom, it would be great to get down to Eloy, in fact, some of my jumping buddies from Kansas were down there during New Year's. Unfortunately, I only had enough money and time this winter season to make one trip and that was reserved for skiing in Colorado. $200 is a killer price. Where are you finding these? I looked at flights to Florida at the same time, just in case, and haven't found anything less that $280. In respect to the "currency" concept with the A license, I can relate. I live in northern Missouri (for now, not long), outside of Kansas City and the winter weather usually is cold and bleak. I have run passed the sixty day currency rule twice and it sucks, so it's great that you can eliminate this annoyance by going to Eloy. However, if you ever are not current, the satisfaction that someone is simply there to make sure you aren't too rusty while flying is quite nice. It's always good to to be a current jumper, especially as new jumpers to the sport which we both are. Being a rusty jumper (like I am right now) sucks. Have fun in Eloy.

Yes, there is a kind of irritation. I think this is because of the lack of endomorphin we get from jumps ;). I used to have really hard times during non jumping winter and I didn't have chance to go to other region where i could jump. But this winter I tried snowboard - wow! now winter makes sence, it's a lot of fun, thought can't fully substitute skydiving, still - a lot of performance, a lot of space to learn, to improve, to be on nature among good friends, btw many of skydivers do snowboard here so you are basically among you good old friends!
Cheers, Spring is coming soon!

I'll be on on a break from skydiving till May probably due to the lovely weather up here in Ontario and the lack of funds. The bad weather makes skydiving more affordable for me, so even though I also have the non-jump blues it works out for the best. If money wasn't an issue then I would definatly be down south jumping to my hearts content.;)

Try Expedia.com or Orbitz.com or Hotwire.com you need to buy a couple months in advance to get eh best deals.. but I got round trip non stop from Seattle to Phoeinix on Alaska during the holidays for $260 RT thru Expedia.

You can also try Southwest Airlines website. or some of the other low end carriers sites.. look for promotional fares.. look a few months out and GO.. TRAVEL....get out of the cold and FLY...

On the other hand.. you can still jump in the winter up north.. its cold but if you pick your days.. dress well.. you can still make some AWSUM jumps in the winter.
your DZ may be closed but there is always one within driving distance that will be happy to put up a load or two.

Just wondering if anyone else out there in the cold climates of the earth just get a bit irritated when they have to spend months out of the air due to shit weather? This complication caused me to apply to graduate schools for next year where it is warm year round. Blue skies...please.

I hear ya...I'm transfering to Florida myself. ;)

-Kramer

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

Trust me you are not the one out there in cold weather. I havent jumped for almost two months. The last time i jumped was on Nov.30 it was -2 C on the ground and it was -26 at 9500'. i jumped and it's not fun when you are front risering just to get down.:(
Two weeks later i got my rig, so now i'm repacking it everyday and unpatiently waiting for good weather.

2 months, 2 months, it's only 2 months till I can jump again.
Last jump was october 26th.

The cold isn't the problem. Stumbling thru 2 meters of snow while dragging your main behind you is worse. And also the lack of light.

Yesterday the sun came above the horizon for the first time in the last two months.

Anyone got a timemachine I can borrow to travel 2 months forward in time?

And my rig doesn't arrive untill end of march, so I haven't got anything to practise packing on.

And I feal that watching skydowing movies doesn't help either.

The timemachine anybody????pleace..

-Bent Jøran

I live in PA, so I'm outa luck unless I can get a long weekend off. In the meantime, I've been reading the hell out of the SIM, and I'm currently waiting for my copies of Fly like a pro and pack like a pro to arrive. I think I've also downloaded about 5 gigabytes worth of online movies just for kicks. Hopefully I'll be able to learn a few things during the winter, still being an AFF student, I need to learn all I can. Sure would be nice to get my knees in the breeze, though.

I was just thinking the same thing. My goal in the winter months is to take one trip a month to a warm(er) climate. This month I started in Eloy for the Holiday Boogie, last weekend I went to Raeford, next month it will be Raeford again or someplace warm (maybe FL).

I know what some of you are thinking, how does she afford that? I am a teacher so it's not easy. However I have decided to live with my parents forever and when I am home I spend a lot of time there bored in my room staring at the computer (like now). My trips are only a few days long and I try to stay with friends I have met at other dz's. It's working so far, but I am very close to convincing my parents to buy a house in another state with a warmer climate. :P

Heather
Life doesn't have to be perfect in order to be beautiful!

Big time dude [:/]

Can hardly wait for spring and summer...it's gonna be gooooood

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

The cold isn't the problem. Stumbling thru 2 meters of snow while dragging your main behind you is worse. And also the lack of light.

Yesterday the sun came above the horizon for the first time in the last two months.

Can you say NIGHT JUMPS.. think how GORGEOUS that would be on a full moonlit night... jumping into such a beautiful arctic night.
Come on.. suck it up and jump. Where is that NORSE blood my distant kinsman:P

It is great when you jump and the ground is snow covered. It takes a few extra moments to figure out where the DZ is since it all looks the same.

Key to jumping in the cold...NO EXPOSED SKIN...oh yeh and extra layers! :P

We got lucky last weekend....it was 27 when we took off.

Can you say NIGHT JUMPS.. think how GORGEOUS that would be on a full moonlit night... jumping into such a beautiful arctic night.
Come on.. suck it up and jump. Where is that NORSE blood my distant kinsman:P

I asked, but they ain't letting me on that plane.
Need some stinking C-licence for that :P

But then again it's excelent conditions for scuba diving. >130 feet viz.

-Bent Jøran

It ain't cold untill you can see stiff nipples throu a heavy winter coat.