dgskydive

How much can a packer make?

All this talk has come up today about packers and what we as jumpers should do to make it easier for them.

I know not every DZ is as busy as Perris, but let's take a look at the possiblities. From my observations it seems safe to say that on an average weekend most of the packers out here have around 10 customers give or take a few. Let's say each customer does 6 jumps a day. That is usually what I do a day when I am jumping.

$6.00(per pack) x's 6 jumps(per day) = $36.00

36.00 x's 10 = 360.00

Let's say they only do that on 2 days a week

$360.00 x's 2 = $720.00

$720.00 x's 4 weeks = $2880.00

That is a lot of money for 8 days work a month. Now explain to me again why I should do half the pack job for them.
Dom

Best day for me 87 packs at $5 each = $435 for one day. I believe I did about 68 the next day, for a two day total of $775.

Even if I averaged 100 over two days, that would be $500. That is a pretty typical weekend for most packers at DZ's with Otters KAs, etc.

Now, that is less than what I make at my full time job, but it helped me survive while I was unemployed.

Dang, you make a good case for why I should pack for people for money.

The only downside is standing around smelling fresh-deployed nylon and Jet-A, listening to the propellers, and seeing the bright blue sky, and being packing all day.

I make just enough money for that to not be worth $400 a day to me. (Even if I did pack like ten times as fast as I do now.)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Often tip packer $1/pack and stow/cock stuff. Keeps packer happier and allows for faster packs. Most of the time I pack myself, however.

Never hurts to be good to your packer. Mebe buy a water for him/her or something as well.
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

Often tip packer $1/pack and stow/cock stuff. Keeps packer happier and allows for faster packs.

That is what is being discussed in another thread. The point most people are making is that they are getting paid to do a job and making good money for it. Yet they still want us to stow the brakes, unstow the slider and cock the PC along with change broken rubber bands. Then do a line check and lay it out all nice and pretty for them. The point PackerBarry was making is that if we do that he can make more money because we are saving him time. Am I there to help him to make more money? No, he is there offering his services to pack. So pack. If you want me to pay you $6.00 dollars a pack job then do the whole thing. If you want me to do half of the job for you, then only charge me half the money, and don't expect a tip. If you want a tip at the end of the day then keep me in the air. do the whole pack job and if you where on it al day long.... you will get a tip. Tips are for exceptional service. Not just becuase you did your job! Damn I sound like Mr. Pink!
Dom

not only does stowing/cocking/uncollapsing help the packers, it helps the other skydivers as well. maybe look at it from that angle. instead of thinking you're doing their jobs for them, maybe realize that by them taking on additional skydivers, more people are able to do quicker turn-arounds with fewer people missing loads.

it takes about a minute to stow your brakes in the landing area and to uncollapse your slider. why is this such a big deal? if you don't like doing that, then don't give your canopy to a packer. why bitch about something that helps the process?

the packers work their asses off. i don't mind at all helping them out a bit. i don't feel like i'm "doing anyone's job" or anything. i see it as contributing to the efficiency of the dz. it just helps expedite the process...

blues,
arlo

I normally stow my own brakes because thats a leading cause of malfunction, and I would rather a unstowed toggle be my fault rather then the packers.

That said, the last time a packer complained that I hadn't cocked the pilot chute, I packed the rig myself. I haven't paid a packer since.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

A couple years ago, during a boogie, I took home nearly $1000 for 3 days worth of packing. Of course, I couldn't move and my cuticles were bleeding, but I had the money to buy a reserve.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

As a practical matter, sometimes the pilot chute bridle will "walk" a little bit, depending upon it and the condition of the kill line. After the canopy is put down after flaking and rolling, I still feel more comfortable cocking the pilot chute one more time (often only at that time) so i'm sure it's all the way out. For this reason and the fact that the pilot chute is a normal part of the pack job, I don't think the packer should be upset just because it wasn't cocked. Just my practice.

The truth is, though, I have never watched every time to see that the packer did it.:S
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

My daughter (Sarah) is packing to pay for her tunnel time and AFF. She asks that the slider be unstowed and the brakes set. For me, this is what I do upon landing anyway, particularly the brakes to help reduce line twist. She doesn't insist on the excess line being stowed, but appreciates it. I don't stow my excess line in the field, either. When you bring your rig to her, lay the canopy down and walk backwards a few steps before doffing the rest of your rig, just like you would do if packing for yourself. Cocking the pilot chute and changing broken bands she will take care of, but will let you know if she had to change them.

Do I take good care of my packer? Of course I do! She can pack as fast as I do, and that gives me time to dirt dive and make the next load. I do the same things for my packer as I would do for myself.

As an aside, she has worked so hard for her "clientele" that she has saved enough to pay for her share of two hours' tunnel time, and her plane ticket to Orlando. Also, two of the instructors' she packs for are going to take her through AFF and waive thier fees! I am VERY proud of her!!

it takes about a minute to stow your brakes in the landing area and to uncollapse your slider. why is this such a big deal? if you don't like doing that, then don't give your canopy to a packer. why bitch about something that helps the process?

It just doesn't make sense to me to pay someone for something they aren't doing. If I do half the steps for them shouldn't they only make half the money? If that is such a big thing for them and they don't want to do it for whatever reason then why should I pay them the same price for less work and then go by em drinks and give em a tip on top of it.
Would you give a waitress a big tip if you did half of her work for her? Not me.

the packers work their asses off. i don't mind at all helping them out a bit. i don't feel like i'm "doing anyone's job" or anything. i see it as contributing to the efficiency of the dz. it just helps expedite the process...

You are very right about them working there asses off! I watch our packers sweat it out all the time. I know that it is hard work. Still doesn't mean I should pay them the same money and do a bunch of the work I am paying them for. If I am using a packer it is because I have shit to do and packing would prevent me from doing what I need to. They are there to help me expedite my process and they are paid for it as well. Don't feel bad if they can't make more tax free money because it takes them 3 extra minutes to do the complete job. If they don't like the fact that I take my canopy over and lay it out and wlak away. Then they don't have to take my business. I will find another packer or do it myself. If I am to busy to pack I will pay a friend or bring somebody to do it for me and pay them. Who losses out there? Me or the packers? I am still on my loads and they are 80 to100 bucks poorer that weekend.

Dom

I need to hire a Packer to take to LP with me..

Iffin' yer payin fo the ride, I'll be yo' pack BIOTCH.

Of coures it I'll be a heck of a side trip to come pick me up In SoCal.....

:P
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Personally I just don't like to pack. I can, but for a few extra bucks I get to relax, debrief and help out a friend. The guy who packs for me does a great job, yeah I stow my brakes, slider and re cock my pilot chute, that takes about 5 minutes compared to how long it takes me to pack.
I've never had a mal or anything serious occur from his pack jobs. I also like having a second set of eyeballs looking at my gear . And yeah I tip at least a buck per pack.
Thanks Jeff.;)
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

Arlo just to nice :P

From habit I set my brakes, I unstow my slider but I don't cock the pilot chute. If a packer ask me to when I set it down (that time) I do.

The next jump I'll move to another packer or pack myself. Most packers are very nice and helpful but I work during the week to relax on the weekend.

I'll pay $5.00 without blinking but at $6.00 the tip goes down a lot.

I'm weird, I like doing practical things like packing. If it's going to save my life, I'd rather do it myself.

However, if I was at a boogie and using packers, I wouldn't consider unstowing the slider, cocking the PC and setting the brakes to be "half the job". The way I would see it is that if every canopy they pack comes to them with PC cocked etc., they can stick to their own method and routine of packing (not suggesting they shouldn't be looking out for problems etc.). If you do everything the same way wherever possible, you're less likely to make a mistake and cause someone to chop, IMO.

Nick
---------------------------
"I've pierced my foot on a spike!!!"

This discussion sounds a bit like USPA has proposed a new BSR requiring jumpers to stow their brakes, lay out there rigs, etc. so that the job is made easier. I doubt there is such a BSR proposal, so it would seem that this can be easily answered by saying that if you don't want to make the job simpler for the packers, don't. If they won't pack for you because of this, get some kneepads and suck it up or find another packer.

FallRate

just from an expackers perspective most jumpers don't unstow their slider all the way so you might as well not do it cos i always gotta fix it i always cock the pilot chute and check it again later so no i don't need you to do that either. however if you don't set your brakes you really make me crazy and its because of the toggle on toggle off thing i don't want you blaming me for that stuff (having said that i do almost always check that they're set right you'd be amazed how many people get it wrong and i mean guys with 1000's of skydives being in a hurry and getting sloppy.
if you bring me a rig tied up in knots i'd rather you asked me to untangle it it than tried yourself basically i'll do it faster and you will probably make it worse that said if it then takes me a while please appreciate it my days planned on 5-6mins a pack job that extra 5-10 untangling could hose someone else.
thats my 2 cents worth luv ya all that use packers and keep me skydiving.