Perky77

What is your wind limit?

Why not, if you can then do it. It's all technique. You have to know who you are and if you can pull it off. I asked myself all the time if I should be doing this and everytime I said YES!!!!!!!!!!!!
Clint MacBeth
Skydive Moab 435 259 JUMP
M.O.A.B. Mother Of All Boogies Sept 19 - 23, 2012

I dont understand the parochial question,
why not put it in knots (you know the international unit of measure) so us ppl on the metric system can relate more readily.

;)Oh you silly nonAmericans, don't you know? it's our world now. everyone start speaking American NOW and quit using kilometers or we'll use the bomb.;)

Multiply mph by .87 to get approx knots.

14mph=12knots
25mph=22knots
35mph=30knots
45mph=39knots

"Nothing is written"- T.E. Lawrence

why not put it in knots (you know the international unit of measure) so us ppl on the metric system can relate more readily.

;)Oh you silly nonAmericans, don't you know? it's our world now. everyone start speaking American NOW and quit using kilometers or we'll use the bomb.;)

14mph=12knots
25mph=22knots
35mph=30knots
45mph=39knots

Knots have nothing to do with American or non-American. It the the measurement of speed used in all aviation. It is not .87 but 1.15. Take 100 mph, multiply by 1.15 and you get 115 knots. Take 100 knots, divide by 1.15 and you get 87 knots.:P
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

14mph=12knots
25mph=22knots
35mph=30knots
45mph=39knots

Knots have nothing to do with American or non-American. It the the measurement of speed used in all aviation. It is not .87 but 1.15. Take 100 mph, multiply by 1.15 and you get 115 knots. Take 100 knots, divide by 1.15 and you get 87 knots.:P
Sparky

---------------------
It has nothing to do with knots, how about KPH (killometters p/h). Don't EVER again be the first to leave a big way!

If you said that you have "no stinkin limit", it is my opinion that you should consider changing sports.

hmmmm...let's see "No Limits"...How about CHESS?

You should really have a limit. Whether relying on skydiving for income or not. Don't find yourself staring out at the landing area on a gusty day contemplating a skydive (or being talked into one). Know your number limitation...PLEASE. If you don't have one, get one.

There, now I said my peace. ;)

14 mph.

My instructors told me "when we ground the students, there's a REASON we ground the students. Wait til you have quite a few more jumps under your belt to make that call for yourself."

I should have my A in a few weeks, but I'm still going to pay attention to what the school does with the students. If they're grounded, I'm grounding myself until I'm DAMN sure about my canopy control, because if the winds make me land out in a tight spot, I want to be sure I can do it safely.

Still a student here so when I get my 'A' I'll pay attention to what the school/instructors do. If it gets too windy 14+ I'll just got kiteboarding. Wonder if anyone ever kited Elsinore.

This weekend was the first time I had to think about this. Winds were runing 15-18MPH but gusting 20-25. Tandems were coming straight down. Then it would settle out for awhile then go back up. Fortunately by the time my load came around the gusts had been gone for a good half our and the winds were down to 10 - 15 at the surface. Winds higher up were still a trip and presented some opportunities to learn about using front riser to get penetration. Got to start working out:P

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

It is not .87 but 1.15. Take 100 mph, multiply by 1.15 and you get 115 knots. Take 100 knots, divide by 1.15 and you get 87 knots.

It's the other way around. To go from mph to knots, take mph and DIVIDE by 1.15 - or you can multiply it by .87...same result. 100mph is 87knots. 100 knots is 115mph.

Mike

One thing that I keep in mind is what an instructor told me on a marginally windy day..."If the wind sock has a hard-on, someone is going to get screwed!" I have NO PROBLEM sitting out in high winds. It only takes watching one incident to convince me of that!

:P
Blue Skies!!!
Kimmy

. Don't EVER again be the first to leave a big way!

Someone has to be first.:P
Sparky

It has to be the person in the middle with the first pilot chute extraction before ANYONE turns!

You wait for the P/C, at break off altitude I'm leaving.

It's the other way around. To go from mph to knots, take mph and DIVIDE by 1.15 - or you can multiply it by .87...same result. 100mph is 87knots. 100 knots is 115mph

Opps, it's that damn dyslexia. Thanks for catching it.:P
Sparky