vonSanta

Got family members that skydive?

Just wondered how common it is to have skydiving family members. There's a sharing of some genetic material (the nature bit) and sharing of environment (the nurture bit). Of course the same urging/craving can manifest itself in many ways, but how many of you got family members that participate somehow in the sport?

Me, I got my sister who basically dragged me into the sport when I was scared shitless after the first couple of jumps. Since I started we've talked about little else and we jump with each other every chance we get. She's my kid sister and much more of a skygod than I am (been jumping longer than me too), so I got some catching up to do B|.

My second oldest brother did a static line jump (attended the same first jump course as I did) but stopped after that. He says he's gonna take AFF this summer. If two more from my family start, we can fill the C-182 all by ourselves :P. Am thinking my oldest brothers kids will be fine, once they turn 15. He himself won't go because "I'm a father. And you're crazy."

There are huge benefits to having a sibling as skydive partner. The only drawback as far as I am concerned is that I worry more about her going in than I worry about me doing the same.

So, lemme hear it.

>

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

My son did an AFF level one. That was his 18th birthday present from me - I wanted him to understand why I drug his ass out to the dropzone every freakin' weekend for years and years... He'd have continued if he could have afforded it. He's more into flying the plane though, which is fine with me ;)

My brother wants to jump but can't afford it - and his girlfriend/mother of his daughter has been rather vocal about how she feels about that idea (she's gonna be upset when I get my niece a jump for her 18th birthday ;)). My cousin wanted to do it years ago when he was healthy but his then-wife had similar issues... and he's too sick now to even consider it.

Mom now says if her back wasn't so messed up she'd jump. One of my grandmothers said she would have done it too; if she hadn't been on oxygen 24/7 back when I was doing tandems I'd have taken her - I did promise that her and my grandfather's ashes would go on a skydive with me someday and I'll release them then... just waiting for Mom to be okay with it (they were her parents).

I'm all alone .......
(Not really):)But no other family members jump, including aunts,uncles or cousins. I had one cousin who did 1 jump but didn't really take to it I guess. My sister wants to try skydiving but she's currently working on becoming a helicopter pilot (should be finished in the spring). I have a mother that doesn't think too much of skydiving. I hope to make a jump out of a helicopter that my sister is flying one day just to send the nice footage to my mom.;)

My sister is the one who got me into jumping. We just don't jump together often. My dad has done a tandem and an AFF Level 1 jump, though that is all he'll do. One of my brothers has already done a tandem, and the youngest who turns 18 in March is just waiting for his birthday to do his tandem. My mom however, refuses...at least we can get her to come out to the DZ every now and then.

alyson

team swooo
swooo #2

My Dad did about 120 jumps back in the 1960s (he gave up in 1968!). He’s very, very cool about me jumping and even bought me my FJC for my 16th birthday! B| The only thing he isn’t particularly cool about is square canopies – he’s convinced they’re dangerous and that “rounds are sound”! :D

Vicki

Nope I'm the only one. I may have a younger brother who may try it if/when he visits me in the Spring. But other than that, I am the only one. Everyone else in the family is obsessed with pumping out the kids and they wonder why I have't bought into the same program.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

My two oldest daughters Sindri and Laura have both done tandems, and Laura has continued through AFF. Laura totally aced her AFF jumps (no repeats) at Skydive Orange in Virginia and is definitely a better flyer than her dad. Unfortunately, she's expressed a bizarre preference for focusing on freeflying over RW if she continues in the sport.

People have asked me if I worry about their safety. My attitude about the risks for them is the same as for me -- all the positive aspects of the sport outweigh them. Frankly, I'm more concerned about all the DZ horndogs hitting on my little girls than about the risks of jumping.

My dad -- the most significant family connection I've got besides my kids -- doesn't quite get it, but he's been supportive because skydiving has helped put me on a more positive path in life than I was following for a long time.

My husband is also a licensed skydiver and we jump together nearly every weekend.

My brother has done one tandem. *snort*

My sister has done 2 tandems...gone through AFF training, and done 2 AFF jumps.

My brother-in-law has done two tandems.

My father-in-law would love to do a tandem, but he's had a messed up shoulder for a while from skiing.

other than that...we've got a bunch of whuffos. *grin*

--------------------------------------------
Elfanie
My Skydiving Page
Fly Safe - Soft Landings

My husband was a skydiver.

I've put in time in the tunnel with my son, does that count?

I have a cousin who jumps, but he does FF and I do RW. So, we don't do much jumping together.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Dad has 600 or so. Mom has 10. Sis has 3 and my wife has 2. Dad's first jump was a static line with sister (also her first). My first was a static line with dad (his second).

Some of my favorite jumps are just logged "2-way with Dad":)
John
Arizona Hiking Trails

I've got a few ;)

Grandfather has about 2000 jumps, and still is an active jumper (at 80 years old)

Grandmother has about 200 jumps, all of them done in the earily 60's. She hasn't jumped since 1969 I think.

Dad has 4000 jumps, and still jumps some.

Mom has about 100 all done in the late 70's, early 80's. She hasn't jumped since 1984 (when I was born).

My half sister has around 70 or so...again hasn't jumped since 1982 or so.

Lance

My husband got me started skydiving. He has 2500 jumps or so and has been jumping since 1982.

My daughter has two solo jumps (AFF level 1 and an IAD)

My son hasn't made a jump yet (he will turn 16 in March) but he has more time in the right seat of a King Air than a lot of pilots.

My husband and I just got our A cards sent in. We did AFF together, he aced it but it took me eleven total to get through. We used to not be on the same load together but now we regularly go in the plane together but have not jumped together.

My middle brother-in-law, I believe is at his B license and my youngest brother-in-law has his C. We haven't gotten to jump with them, yet, we live in Colorado and they are in California.

My father-in-law thinks that we have all lost our minds.

Once our daughter is old enough (three more years), she is going to go through AFF.