Blahr

Liability question

If someone already posted this question I'm sure Ivan will let me know B|

The recent unfortunate events in Elsinore have led me to wonder who is repsonsible in the following scenario.

I bring my rig in for a reserve repack. While its there,
the building burns and takes my rig with it.

1. Will/Would the DZ insurance cover my personal gear?

2. What kind of proof would be required of the value of my rig?

3. What can I do to safeguard my own interests while my rig is out of my hands?

Chris

Home owners/rental insurance.

I have video of all my sporting equipment and update it a few times during the year. I also have all my serial numbers to all my equipment written down, and stored in a fire proof lock box.

Good question, I would ask them before leaving my gear with them or any rigger.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Are there any requirement s for a commercial business's that works on customers property to have insurance to cover the loss of the customers property due to fire/theft/flood etc?;)

Or is this just a civil matter for Judge Judy to decide?

Damn I can hear the "not responsiable signs" going up now and the "claim reciepts" being reprinted as we wait for the answer.:o

"Whats good for the DZO is good for the skydiver":|

R.I.P.

Blahr:

My offhand legal answer is that I don't know. This comes down to a concept in law called "Bailments" and bailor/bailee liability.

I can't remember the exact law on this, since I haven't dealt with it since my first year in law school. I'll try to check up on it.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

My home owners insurance covers personal items lost but not located in my house. Example: stolen out of car, lost in a hotel fire, stolen out of my beach bag. The coverage was "extra" on my policy. When I asked how much they said $3 dollars. I decided to add it.

jumpervali

Probably not.

The invoice or reciept from the party you purchaced the rig from is a good place to start.

Buy insurance. Homeowners, renters or specific equipment coverage.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

First, the answers to these questions, to the extent they can be answered with the information given, would vary from state to state. Primarily the answer would depend on the insurance policies involved with the claim.

1. Depends on the DZ's insurance policy.
2. Usually a receipt of purchase and photograph would be sufficient.
3. Get a special rider on your homeowner's policy.
"I have magic buttons ;)." skymama

Anyone in SoCal fmailiar with this stuff? Can anyone recommend a good Insurance Agent or company to get renter's insurance from with all the extended coverage, god forbid this type of loss we've had should happen again?

I'm stressing over how I might be able to replace things, and the little that I am trying to aqcuire now to keep up in the air, I'm stressing about protecting it asap.

So any help/guidance would be appreciated. I'm trying to sort through State Farms website and get a quote...

Also, any idea on what type of insurance someone can get if they neither rent nor own a home for this type of personal property coverage? In case Ed I and have to live in the camper for a while?

thanks!
peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

Lew, I suggest making an appointment with a few different agents. Shop around. The homeowners I have I got because I had the cars with this company, and I was allowed a discount.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Don't know for sure how this relates but we have a shop that repairs trenchers and loaders for construction. If our shop were to burn down and a customers machine was lost or damaged their insurance would be first responsible but if they had no insurance that our insurance would cover it. You are leaving a piece of equipment for them to service for pay, I would think it would be similar. However if you say left your rig on the rack in the packing area and it burned, I believe it would be all your responsibility. So if you had no homeowners/renters insurance you're SOL.