velvet

Starting AFF - condensing the 10 jumps good or not?

Hi, I plan on getting my license this spring and getting into jumping as soon as I possibly can. My DZ said that I can do the first 2 jumps one day, level 3 in one day and then 3 jumps per day after that. Is there any disadvantage to moving quickly. I am eager to be on my own, get my own chute and start jumping. Any advice would be most helpful. Thanks.

I did my last three AFF jumps in one day.

it can be done, you're just going to be exhausted.

if you find yourself too tired, don't be afraid to put a jump off til next time. if you're tired, you'll get sloppy, and can be more likely to fail.

Take your time and go at your own pace.

Definitley try and do two a day though. The second one comes much easier than the first and you get to go over things again without a big break between.

Also every thing Nightingale said about safety.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

I do agree with Kris (Nightngale). But I also believe that you are less likely to fail a level when you jump more often as the muscle memory to do each step does not require relearning. A friend of mine did his progression similar to this and it worked great for him. I know I needed to space mine out - but I am old and get tired easily. . .lol
FGF #6
Darcy

I agree. It takes 20 jumps to graduate the STP program at Spaceland. I would usually do 4 or 5 jumps in a weekend. After that first jump, your nerves bother you a little less and you are able to concentrate better on what your body in doing in the air. Plus, you get to evaluate that jump and do it again if you need to.
Blue Skies!!!
Kimmy

It can be done as stated above. When I did AFF I did it pretty fast.

I did Level 1 & 2 on day one
Level 3 & 4 the next day
Level 5, 6, 7, and 8 the next day.

It was fast and as stated above, very exhausting. Everyone moves at their own pace though so there is no way to tell if you will be good at that pace of need to move a little slower.

Just remember not to rush things and make sure you feel good about going up each time. I am sure you will do well so be safe and have fun!
Oz

I just did level 3,4,and 5 last Saturday at Elsinore...
Sounded like a good idea when I was paying for the jumps in the morning........Level 3 and 4 went fine.....Level 5 I was a complete mess... As Nightngale put it, you get tired fast and when your tired its that much more difficult.... I think I learned from that mistake... Oh and give some time between jumps and Eat something.. The rush has no Calories.......

NUR ZUM SPASS

If you want to get into it right away this spring, go to the tunnel during the winter and put in a ton of time (buy an hour to start and get coaching - you'll want more, so this is a good start). Then you'll already know how to fly fairly well (enough to graduate anyway) and only have to deal with the new environment, canopy control, and altitude awareness.

If you have that on your 'resume', sometimes DZs will even let you skip a level(s) or do extra dives above the 'norm' in a day.

In any case, going through the program in a couple weekends is pretty fast in the scheme of things, so no matter what, don't overdo what your body and mind can't handle.

Edit - oops, as a newbie a tunnel is a skydiving simulator - as in a vertical wind tunnel. Do a search on indoor skydiving (specifically 'skyventure' and 'flyaway indoor skydiving').

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I did all of AFF in about 5 days (edit: it took me nine jumps...failed two levels). Your body will probably be able to handle it, but your brain might not. Just do what you can handle, and listen to your instructor's advice.

-Kramer

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

Your body will probably be able to handle it, but your brain might not. Just do what you can handle, and listen to your instructor's advice.

Very true. I went thru AFF in two weekends. Know your limits and don't push yourself over them. You don't learn very well when you are fatigued.

"Sacrifice is a part of life. It is supposed to be. It's not something you regret . It's something to aspire to." Mitch Albom