sdgregory

Going to FLorida in March . . . which DZ?

Please read before voting

I am going to be going to Orlando Florida the second week of March with my wife and kids for our first real vacation in five years. I am Spending five days and 6 nights there and two days are taken up by a wind tunnel trip (my kids want to try the tunnel so it is a good excuse for me to go too) and a trip to Islands of Adventure. One day (Sunday) will be spent relaxing by the pool drinking margaritas. That leaves two days to jump. I plan on 5 jumps or better each day.

Where you guys suggest? Please remember I have only got 33 jumps and will probably only get one or two more by then if the weather clears for a day here in OHIO>:(. Also, there is a possibility that I may not get any jumps before I go, in which case I will be uncurrent[:/]. Please take this into consideration when you vote.

All of these are less than an hour and 15 minutes from the resort we will be at.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of these DZs. If you are going to be uncurrent, I'd definitely hit the tunnel first, you'll be amazed in the improvement in your flying. I'd also call the dz's to see what their requirements are to get current (ie coach, AFF, none...)

D

If you went to Deland you could visit the Mirage, RWS, Alti-2, and PD factories

I voted for Zhills, because I do love the place, but...

If I am in Florida, I am going to SoBe! The visuals and sunsets are simply spectacular, and jumping over Okechobee is a total thrill in and of itself. The landing areas are huge, but just remember, there are no outs west of the dz.:P

It's more than an hour and 15, but well worth the drive.:D

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

Appreciate the plug! SoBe is my home DZ -- I'm not connected with the business, but now that I'm a regular there it all feels like family. :)
While I'll grant that SoBe is in the boonies (sugar cane country and not much else), it truly is a beautiful place to jump. The new old hangar is now set up for packing and hanging out, and we're not cooped up in a tiny space any more. The boogie last week was really a lot of fun (but as I'd never been to one before, I can't compare it with others). The sunset on the last day of the boogie was astronomically beautiful. Two clouds split at the sun and looked like an eagle's wings! The sky went blue yellow red down toward the horizon, in startlingly sharp contrast. We saw two flocks of birds in formation out over the lake, silhouetted against the fading light. There was a really cool finale event that you will probably not find written about anywhere here in order to protect the 'innocent.' Guess you hadda be there for that part. (I'm not gonna shoot my mouth off about that any more than what I've said, so don't ask.)

SoBe is filled with cool people who really care about each other and others. I definitely feel like I've found a home there. Your drive from the Orlando area would be, I guess, about 3 or 3.5 hours. My feeling is that it's worth it. Sunset load is all about smilin', there.

I should mention that I'm a pending-A-license skydiver with 54 jumps. The landing area for students is pretty nice and huge, and even the expert area is not small. While it's true that you don't have an out west of the DZ, there was a successful rescue a few weeks back. (I was not there, but I saw the canopy being dried out later that day.) If you can keep the gators at bay long enough, someone'll get to you. :P

I don't speak officially for them, but SoBe has started off with a bang, and we'd all welcome visiting jumpers and their families.

---Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

There was a really cool finale event that you will probably not find written about anywhere here in order to protect the 'innocent.'

Pucker factor 10.1. Those XK's fuckers are crazy. :D:D

Some sporty dude has AWESOME video (which I never did firewire--totaly unfortunately).

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

As much as SoBe sounds fun, I am not up to spending 7 hours in a vehicle on my vacation. :S

I do not think my Wife and Kids will be up to it eitherB|. So unfortunately SoBe is gonna have to wait until I come to Florida just to jump at a bunch of DZ's. (Planning that trip for Winter 2005) Im thinking 7 days 5 DZ's, 60 jumps, middle of JanuaryB|. Anyway, I have to limit it to the three that I posted. Space Center is not far but I have been told that the landing area does not have many outs and with my experience level and the possibility of not being current by say 14 days I am going to have to save it for the winter 2005 trip too.

If you are going to go to the dz's during the week, I would say Deland because you are most likely going to have a better chance to get more jumps in that way. I was just talking to a visitor at the dz last night who went around to the different dz's and told me that. If you go jump on a weekend, you'll have fun at any place that's on your list.

By the way, if you go to Deland your family can drop you off at the dz and they can head out to Daytona beach for some fun while you jump. There's also a water park up there that they could take in.

I'm guessing Palatka would be about 1 1/2-2 hours away from in Orlando, but don't quote me on that, it's just a guess. Traffic on I-4 can be a bear, avoid it at all costs during rush hour.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Hey Skymama!

I was wondering when you were going to chime in!

Yeah I know all about Florida traffic being born and rasied there. I have Family in Sebring, Wildwood, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Delray, Eustice, Tallahassee, Leesburg. I could go on, wait I did. :D. I know I-4 is a bear.

We have decided on Deland. My Aunt lives in Eustice whom i favor more than the rest, and she is about 25 minutes away from you guys. I will be there Wednesday the 16th for the day and then return with her that Saturday. So I am planning two days of jumping and am hoping for a minimum of 5 jumps each day. More if Possible. I may also stay monday and come back out but we will be playing that by ear due to my car rental.

My Aunt is thinking about doing a tandem while we are there on Saturday. She jumped many moons ago but that was from 79-85. She has not jumped since and is very excited about me doing it so she wants to come with me that Saturday.

I may or may not be current. I have my A and 33 jumps, but my last jump was Dec 30. I hope to see the weather clear up here so I can either go to my home DZ at AerOhio or to my vactaion home DZ at SGC to get a few more jumps before then. Unfortunately neither has had any jumping since Dec 30 and who knows if there will be any before March 16th.

Point being, if I am uncurrent, what is Deland's policy? How much will a recurrency jump cost? Budgets being what they are and all, I need to plan my funds appropriately:S.

Looking forward to meeting you though;).

I was going to say go to two different DZ's (Deland and Z-Hills) before I realized that you have less than 50 jumps. In this case, it is probably a good idea to spend both days at one dz. I really like all DZ I visited in Florida, but my heart belongs to Z-Hills. go there and you will not regret ;)

I was wondering when you were going to chime in!

Sorry, I was off being a skydiver yesterday! B|

Point being, if I am uncurrent, what is Deland's policy? How much will a recurrency jump cost? Budgets being what they are and all, I need to plan my funds appropriately.

Ah, I don't keep up on all that kind of stuff. The best thing to do would be to get in touch with the friendly folks at the dz. They'll be able to help you out better than me on that kind of stuff.

I hope I get to meet you also!
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

We have decided on Deland. My Aunt lives in Eustice whom i favor more than the rest...

My Aunt is thinking about doing a tandem while we are there on Saturday. She jumped many moons ago but that was from 79-85. She has not jumped since and is very excited about me doing it so she wants to come with me that Saturday.

Wow! No wonder you favor this aunt. She sounds like fun! :)
I wanted to also suggest that if you can afford it, some time in the wind tunnel (10 minutes w/ a coach) in Orlando may also be something that you may like to try. Dec 30th flying makes you current right now, but since you are very new and will be uncurrent by March, flying in the tunnel first would help you to prepare for your first jump back. Trust me, you can learn a lot with just 10 minutes in the tunnel. :)
Edited: Doh! Silly me, I didn't read all of your first post. Good for you as it seems that you ARE going to the tunnel. I'm jealous! :P Please say hello to "Arlo" for me. :)

WHY NOT GO TO THEM ALL???
i've never been to Deland or (whatever the other 1 was) but Lake Wales has a HUGE landing area -- good for people who haven't acquired accuracy yet! And if you haven't jumped a tail-gate, they've got em (but i think Deland does too?!)

~And Z-Hills is always a fun time, with loads flying through out the day ....fast otters!
~Titusville is a smaller landing area but MINIMUM altitude is 15' with a super fast King-Air ...'nuff said

*HAVE FUN

see the world! http://gorocketdog.blogspot.com

If you are going to go to the dz's during the week, I would say Deland because you are most likely going to have a better chance to get more jumps in that way. I was just talking to a visitor at the dz last night who went around to the different dz's and told me that.

Well...whoever your visitor was must have forgotten to stop at ZHills or they have a personal issue with ZHills as there are multiple loads going up on a daily basis. And, yes, I mean daily. It is not uncommon for me to stop by the DZ after work and get on a jump. And, now that the days are getting longer, I even have the opportunity of getting on 2 jumps at the end of the day.

But since Sean has family closer to Deland, it would be better to go there.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Well...whoever your visitor was must have forgotten to stop at ZHills or they have a personal issue with ZHills as there are multiple loads going up on a daily basis.

He was there during the week last week. Maybe he just hit it on a slow day. I like all the Florida dz's, especially Z-hills. I've just heard that Deland is busier during the week because of all the teams that train there that get the planes up.

I've just heard that Deland is busier during the week because of all the teams that train there that get the planes up.

And if its just teams....Who is he gonna jump with?

ZHills has LO's on every jump.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

And if its just teams....Who is he gonna jump with?

He wasn't really looking to jump with anyone in particular. He just wanted to jump period because there was no jumping back home. He was working on some freefling skills and wanted to do solos in Deland also. He liked Z-hills though, he just said it was slower during the weekday that he was there in comparison.

Sebastian is only 1.5 hours from Orlando and personally worth the drive. And a little bird told me the Pink Mafia MIGHT be doing something there in March.............so we'll be flying for sure!

Have fun where ever you go to play - if it's in the sky, you can't lose, right?!

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...