peacefuljeffrey

Do you use the services of a packer, or pack your own?

I am relatively new to skydiving, but just bought myself a rig and graduated from student status this fall.

I don't mean to disparage any who use the services of packers-for-hire. For some it is the way to go -- I know for certain that since I'm slow as shit to pack my rig, I would make more loads than I currently do.

I simply GREATLY prefer to do it myself -- even if that means my openings won't be so great until I get a bit better. My preference is for self-sufficiency and self-reliance, and I feel that for me it would be a cop-out to pay a packer to do what I, as a beginner, should really be spending time learning to do well.

I have been told of various people around who have not packed for themselves in so long that they don't remember how. I consider that a bit dangerous. If you are so out of the loop re: packing, that you couldn't do it if there wasn't a packer around, doesn't that mean that you're not super-familiar with your own rig, the way you really should be? I mean, if you no longer remember how to pack, does that mean you could look at a rig with something done WRONG, and not recognize that it's wrong?? Plus, I have had people come over to me when I was really new to packing and stop me from actually screwing something up -- something I was not about to necessarily notice! If a person doesn't really know how to pack, and he's the only one witnessing a screwup, he's essentially "not there for" the person who's gonna jump that rig with the packing error. Something to think about.

I'm interested in your opinions about using a packer as opposed to packing for yourself.

P.S. I know that packers work damn hard and deserve respect. I've seen them in action.

---Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

I sometimes use a packer, sometimes pack myself. Basically if it's a slow day with time between loads I pack myself. But, I also have two rigs, and making back to back to back means somebody else packing. Also on a day when you make 10-12 jumps, the packing is what gets me smoked....so I use a packer.

However, I always packed for myself until I knew what I was doing. I've probably got 10 times more pack jobs than jumps. I packed for a few other people too. Helped me learn a lot of quirks about different canopies and packing methods.

Bottom line, I like to remain proficient at packing, but on a busy day, I'm not gonna spend time on the ground if I can be in the air.

Blues,
Nathan
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

I was packing for others before I started jumping, so naturally I always packed my own, then I relented one day, when I was extremely busy with Tandems etc, and let a packer pack one of my personal kits...
When I opened, a frap hat flew out of the canopy! >:( The upside was that my spot was perfect...the frap hat landed in the pit! B| Before (400 jumps) and since then (500 jumps ago) I have always packed for myself! :S
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies

I always packed my own until I bought the brand new stiletto. It was a really hot and humid day and I just could not be bothered stuffing the slippery canopy in the POD for the third time. So for the 1st time I used a packer.

These days I own two rigs and sometimes end up doing back to back tandem videos. It is better to use a packer than risk missing a video. The video's pay more ;)

I find using a packer adds to the excitement. I know I can pack my main properly, but can the packer? Oh hum, we'll find out at pull time :P

Hmm, still no thieves showing up on the poll so far. And I was hoping I'd get a clue to who stole my camcorder from the DZ... >:(

j/k I wasn't holding out the hope of finding that out in this way, but I'm not kidding about my camera being gone. If anyone knows someone who can't explain why they have suddenly acquired a Sony TRV-20, please PM me.

P.S. The poll is still in earnest.

---Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

I use a packer.

I can pack for myself, but since I'm on back to back loads on a Porter, I'm taking off about 15 min after I land. I prefer spending that time helping my AFF student kit up and get to boarding point.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

you should definately learn how to do it, and go over your rig often enough to be totally aware of its condition.

(you should also search this has been discussed LOTS before)

but basically its time or money?

if you have the time do it yourself.
if you have the money pay someone you trust.

In the UK, other than in exceptional circumstances (eg knackered etc) everyone ordinary jumper packs their own gear. There simply are no such things as full time packers for ordinary club jumpers. There are packers for camera men, tandems, AFFI's but even then, most of them pack their own gear too unless they're real buisy.

I answered that I always do it myself and it is not exactly so. Most of the times I do it myself and very seldom a trusted colleague does it for me. The only times in which I pay are in boogies where you have to be fast between loads and also want to have time to comment and fraternize with people you don't see much or just get to know.

I think it is important to, at least, keep yourself up-to-date and trained with packing. By the way:

I HATE TO PACK!

And it is no joke, I really don't like it but I really believe it is a "necessary evil"...

HISPA # 18 POPS # 8757

In the UK, other than in exceptional circumstances (eg knackered etc) everyone ordinary jumper packs their own gear. There simply are no such things as full time packers for ordinary club jumpers. There are packers for camera men, tandems, AFFI's but even then, most of them pack their own gear too unless they're real buisy.

Sibson had until recently a couple of live in packers they would do student and experienced gear.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

learn to pack for yourself - it saves money and - eventually - time. 3 or 4 packjobs = 1 jump. After a few dozen pack jobs you will speed up. After 100, it will be pie.

Not to mention the benefits it brings in knowing/checking your gear as you stated.

if you do use a packer and get good service/friendly advice, tip them. They tend to appreciate that;)

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

Have to disagree I’m afraid – I earned over £500 packing for just fun jumpers/teams last July, only working weekends! B|

Vicki

I think that you guys should use packers. You come out to the DZ to relax and have fun.. right???

The more money packers make, the more they can jump, the better skydivers they are, so when you hire a packer, you're also paying to increase the talent of regular jump-bums on the DZ! Hiring a packer is just a really good thing all around. It gets you up in the air quicker, it saves your energy for jumping and drinking, you're directly supporting the local economy, and it helps to increase the talent level at your local dz!

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

You bring up a lot of good points-- I think someone already said that it comes down to time or money. For working skydivers, sometimes the choice is to pay a packer so he/she can keep working (and make more $). There are some folks who physically couldn't jump as much if they had to pack for themselves-- some of the POPs come to mind. And then, of course, there are people who just have $ to burn.

I use the philiosophy.

If i pack it, it's going to open (most of the time on heading too) B|! Granted things can happen, and it might not open, or i may have a malfunction, but there's no one to blame, but myself for them, then!
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

There isnt a choice for what I do :-)

I pack my own all day except for after my last jump of the day. Then I pay a packer to pack it for me.
I never jump that pack job though, I always repack it again myself the night before I go again.