skymick

Paragliding

OK sorry if this is OT but did'nt want it lost in Talk Back...

I've had an offer to do a paragliding course, it's cheaper then normal because they are running it for B licensed skydivers and hang glider pilots, so Im guessing they can skip a fair bit of the theory.

Anyway just wondering who has done this before? Can it get boring after a while compared to skydiving? Is it worth forking out extra $$$ for it etc?

The course is around $500 which aint cheap so I dont want to do it and find I dont want to continue (have though about an intro lesson but thats another $200)

Cheers

Mick

It's roughly the same aircraft, but it's a completely different experience; very hard to compare. The most telling distinction for me is the difference in what the two disciplines choose to call 'high performance'. A high performance canopy in sky diving is one with a sink rate the wrong side of 1000' per minute, and a glide angle worse than 1:1. (I'm exaggerating for dramatic purposes). In paragliding a high performance canopy has a sink rate better than 200' per minute and a glide angle of 9:1.

If you think you might get bored with serenely wafting about, you haven't yet experienced flying in thermals, gaining height so fast you get the reverse of ground rush, fighting a series of asymmetric collapses. How about an air sport where landing out, maybe miles away from take off, is the *goal*?

Don't be put off by the course, if you think the flying's a bit dull. It's *all* about canopy control!

Regards
John M

Paragliding is great fun, and your canopy skills will help, but I would caution you not to skip any theory!
As an x instructor, I had many skydiving students come on my course, and thought they knew it all. Many of them crashed and burned all too soon. A paragliding canopy is a very different animal, having a far better aspect ratio, thereby giving fantastic glide performance, but far less overall stability, compared to a skydiving canopy. Also, you are flying in much closer proximity to the ground, for much more of the time, and the risk of collapses are very real, as well as object strikes and turbulance of all sorts, especially rotor effect and wind shear.B| Dont think for a second that Paragliding is any 'safer' than skydiving - it's not!

The harness is way different, and you will instantly feel very uncomfortable, being used to hanging vertical, you will have to get used to lying back in your harness. (This cuts down on drag)
You should go ahead and take the course, it will give you more depth and understanding of wind conditions, thermals and canopy control. If you persue the sport, to expert level, you could expect to spend hours in the air, and cover many miles of countryside, without paying for a jump ticket!:ph34r:
As we in Africa know - "If you're going to be dumb - you'd better be tough."
- Tonto

Do it!

It is a brilliant sport, completely different from skydiving and satisfying in a very different way. Don't be fooled by the lazy beach soaring that you might have seen, thermal flying and big cross countries is what paragliding is about.

But if you need more persuasion, go for a tandem flight on a good thermic day to see for yourself.

If you go for the training, remember that you will probably start off on the paragliding equivalent of a student skydiving canopy. You'll be disappointed with the performance and handling, but it gets better eventually.

Let us know how it turns out.

Marcel

Thnkas for the repsonses fellas. ot another question though...

Has anyone seen Soul Flyers? There is a bit of paragliding in that abd there are a few scenes where they take off down a shallow hill with 3-4 people on it, I think 2 were sitting up and one was carabineered (SP?) off the bottom. Is that a special type of canopy/harness or can you just use a regular one?

Cheers

regular tandem (but flies real fast...) to jump with total 3 persons. 4 might be too much
regular harness too except when the take off with the ski, but I think this kind of bar used is quite regularly used...
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

Do it. Tried hang gliding a little and it's a very fun sport. I think the total course training for that was going to run me 1500 total so I decided to just stick with skydiving for now instead. 500 for a full course sounds like a good deal. If you decide to not take up the sport, it still might make you a better canopy pilot. And it might be something you decide to do in the future if you ever need to get out of skydiving.

Sorry one more question (really should of thought about this before I postedB|)...

I busted my back last May, got metal in me..not meant to be jumping at all for quite a while but been jumping since December anyway (what do docs know anyway hehe) and havent had the slighest problem yet, but this is because all my landings have been pretty good.

So what is landing a PG like? is it comparable to a skydiving canopy? Or am I likely to biff in the first few times?

Cheers

***So what is landing a PG like? is it comparable to a skydiving canopy? Or am I likely to biff in the first few times?

There are three main parts to progression in Paragliding: Student, Intermediate and Advanced. During your student days, you are probably going to have a few tumbles, and maby a high speed landing or three. As the angle of attack on landings, will be far more shallow, as compared to a skydiving rig, you will probably risk injury to your lower back. You have a natural 'swoop' when landing, due to the excellent performance of the wing, you can skim the ground, and even ride the odd thermal bubble, very close to the ground. However, you body position is inclined backwards, and you should get your feet well down, and sit upright in the harness for landings. Some pilots like to stay in the reclined position, until the last few seconds, and pop up onto their feet, as the glider comes to a stop. Lets put it this way, you are going to have to be VERY careful, and fly conservatively during your student days.

I guess by the time you hit intermediate stage, your back should be in better shape, but this is the stage where you start to push your envelope, and risk even worse injury. There is no reason for you to get injured in Paragliding, at any stage, but I would say the risk is a tad higher, flying a higher performance wing, in close proximity to the ground. Turbulance will get you....anywhere! It's how you react to it, which makes the difference.

You wont however, be exposed to any 'shock' openings, as in a skydiving 'slammer', which should go a long way to helping your back heal. Be careful, and be a good student, and your doc will love you.

- Tonto

As the angle of attack on landings, will be far more shallow, as compared to a skydiving rig, you will probably risk injury to your lower back

Well im guessing that due to the shallow AOA that means most biff ins invlove a lot of horizontal movement but not much vertical? If thats the case then I might be right to do it because the major worry for me is hitting with a high vertical speed (especially if I hit with my arse and the force goes straight up my spine)

***the major worry for me is hitting with a high vertical speed

probably the only way that would happen, is if you get 'dumped' by some wretched downdraft.
Even then, the most basic paragliding harnesses come standard with a back protection plate, usually kevla. Dont sweat it, your experience with canopy control will help a lot & you should be just fine. The trap you have to avoid is going in thinking you know it all already:P like we say in SA, dont be a
vint-gat !B|

- Tonto

Go for it! I did my begginer and intermediate course. The first six flight were tow jobs on a winch. Then launching off a 300' steep hill. Its a totally different experience. I don't have the money to do both, so I will probably pick skydiving instead. Little more intense. While I was doing my course four experienced skydivers came out. One had a bad landing and sprained her leg. She had to sit out for the rest of the day.