eames

Misleading Sun Path Ad....

Sun Path sponsored every event the PST has ever held including the World Cup, and has been a big part of getting the sport going. There would not have been a World Cup without them.

I'm glad that Sun Path sponsored the event. I know they do a lot for the skydiving industry.

My point is that the U.S. team doesn't endorse ANY single rig on the market, whether Sun Path sponsored the event or not.

I've said more than my share... I think I'll respectfully bow out of this thread. Thanks for the feedback everybody.

-Jason

Pg. 8, Parachutist, Feb. 2004. Full-page ad for the Javelin Odyssey. The center picture of the three pictures on the left is a picture of the members of the 2003 U.S. team, many of whom do not jump Javelin Odysseys nor even endorse Sun Path products.

Does anyone think that the use of this picture by Sun Path is inappropriate, misleading, or in bad taste?

-Jason

I can understand feeling as though this is "inappropriate, misleading, or in bad taste" because you felt as though you had been used. Unfortunately, I have been "used" in a similar fashion without my knowledge and yes, for purely political motives, and NO I did not feel flattered when I saw my face in a brochure for a canidate that I did not want to endorse.:S If I were you, I would voice my distaste (as I did...B|) and let it be known that you did not like the use of this particular photograph (call someone and complain...unfortunately, that is all you can really do).

I can also understand the sentiment expressed by everyone else here, but this is NOT a brand favoring opinion. eames is sponsored by Mirage and felt as though he was being used to endorse a product that he does not support by using. He also did not like a picture that obviously he holds pride in to be used as an add. Simple as that.

Now, the question is, why is everyone getting bent out of shape over sponsorships, brands, and he said/she said? Can't we all just get along...[:/]
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

Using an image of someone in an ad implies that that person endorses the product.

Plain and simple you could sue if your picture was used in an ad without your consent. Advertisers MUST get consent and/or model releases, even for 'extras' or periphery people in any photo. This is why celebs get paid huge money to endorse a product - you can't just slap a photo of (random celeb) on your ad for (random product).

Within the skydiving community, there are celebs. On a much smaller scale, (read: smaller audience, less money) but they are the celebs in this sport nonetheless. Just because they aren't getting huge endorsement deals doesn't mean all rights to their image is gone.

I personally don't think anyone, SunPath or the PST meant any harm or even really meant to mislead anyone - it's a great photo of the swooping celebrities and the art director used it.

But if we want to act like we're a professional sport - and gain acceptance/access to the mainstream sporting audience - we have to follow the rules.

Jason is right, the implication is that the entire US Team endorses SunPath.

Action expresses priority. - Mahatma Ghandi

I completely agree that it is, indeed, misleading. If these people are sponsored by other companies it could risk their sponsorship because they were not told they would be in the ad. All parties should have been informed of the situation, especially if they were linked to Mirage. I love the Jav's (I dont have one, but have tried 'em and talked to people who work there, nice guys), but that's in poor taste for sure. [:/]

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.