eames

Misleading Sun Path Ad....

This hole thread has turned into a sunpath bashing, Praise Mirage thread.

I don't see that.

That's because you are a praiser of the Mirage.

From my point of view, as a jumper of the Javelin, I see it as a sunpath bashing, my rig is better than yours, and I know you are but what am I, kinda thread.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Judy,

You turned it into a quasi-bashing thread when you acted all offended that a Mirage sponsered jumper didn't like the political ramifications of the US team (who aren't all sponsered by SunPath) being used for an ad.

It was a decent thread about the political ramifications as stated above, untill you tried to act all hurt since you're a die hard SunPath supporter. That's good, but that's not what the thread was about.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

eams reply

I truly believe that Mirage makes the best rig, bar none. I've never bought anything else, I've never owned anything else, and I endorse no other container manufacturer.

Now what was that again Aggiedave? He doesn't sound to political. Sound like he tooting his horn to me. But I guess its just all in my head. This guy really didn't state all that. I must be f-ing out of my mind.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Now what was that again Aggiedave? He doesn't sound to political. Sound like he tooting his horn to me.

Politics has to do with the statements of beliefs. His belief is that Mirage is a good rig, he believes in the rig and the company, he's even sponsered by them. He was also on the US team. Sunpath is belittling his beliefs by using a TEAM picture as a Sunpath ad.

That's not a "mine or yours" debate, thats a stated belief to make a point about the unethical advertising practices of a different company.

You're getting offended and upset since you are a die hard SunPath supporter. Step away from this for a moment and look at it from the outside. It will make sense to you.

Sunpath is belittling his beliefs by using a TEAM picture as a Sunpath ad.

A picture belittles someones beliefs? That's really sad.

and why is it okay for him to praise the almighty mirage and I can't praise the almighty Javelin? He's polical and I'm whinning. Hummm......must by a guy thing.

Judy

If someone distributed a convincing (but false) picture of you committing a crime (which was also against your beliefs) to your friends and law enforcement, you would not only have your beliefs belittled, you would be in legal trouble.

This example may seem irrelevant, but it answers your question. It's not sad. Sight is our most valuable sense. A picture CAN affect people.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I for one do not believe that this was malicious on the part of SunPath.
I would also hope that if someone in that photo had an issue with said ad, they would take it upon themselves to contact SunPath directly. Some things can be done discreetly with better results.:)

A picture belittles someones beliefs? That's really sad

I'll ignore your attempt at trying to insult my intelligence and move on with the discussion.

This is from his post:

I also worked very hard to become a member of the U.S. team, and I thought it was pretty unique that for one weekend, a bunch of us put brand loyalties aside and swooped for the same team. I just think that it was tasteless for Sun Path to use that picture.

And:

Look, I'm not going to beat around the bush: I was on the U.S. team and I'm sponsored by Mirage. The ad irritates me.

I truly believe that Mirage makes the best rig, bar none. I've never bought anything else, I've never owned anything else, and I endorse no other container manufacturer.

Looking at that, its pretty cut and dry.

Once again, I think you're getting upset and may want to step away from this thread. You've started a brand loyalty debate where there was none and now in the past post you tried to insult my intelligence. All in all, you're getting angry, honestly, unless you can control your temper, this thread will probably get locked by a greenie.[:/]

If someone distributed a convincing (but false) picture of you committing a crime (which was also against your beliefs) to your friends and law enforcement, you would not only have your beliefs belittled, you would be in legal trouble.

This example may seem irrelevant, but it answers your question. .

Bad example - this is not a false picture - or is it. Does this team not really exist, was the picture photoshopped? or is this guy embarrassed about being on the US Team, or is he just mad that Mirage didn't use his picture.

Judy

Aggiedave, so its okay for YOU to pick and choose what you want to read, interpret, the way YOU want to. Anyone else that disagrees is wrong.

Its seems really trival to get all upset over a picture.

Judy

Bad example - this is not a false picture - or is it.

The purpose of my example was not to emulate the situation being discussed in this thread. It was to show that a picture can affect the way people feel.

I agree that a false, fake picture is wrong. But the picture, to the best of my knowledge, is real.

Judy

Aggiedave, so its okay for YOU to pick and choose what you want to read, interpret, the way YOU want to. Anyone else that disagrees is wrong

Its opinion. I have mine, you have yours. The point is to discuss in a mature manner the points of both and either come to a conclusion on what ever the discussion is about. Or, if no conclusion can be reached, hopefully the awareness of both sides will be raised in respect to the other person's opinion.

Ok, Judy, what would you have done if Mirage had used a picture with you in it in one of their ads? I seriously doubt you would have done nothing.

Sidenote: If it would have been me, I would have called up the company and asked for my rig, since apparently I am now sponsered.;)

Aggiedave, so its okay for YOU to pick and choose what you want to read, interpret, the way YOU want to. Anyone else that disagrees is wrong

Its opinion. I have mine, you have yours. The point is to discuss in a mature manner the points of both and either come to a conclusion on what ever the discussion is about. Or, if no conclusion can be reached, hopefully the awareness of both sides will be raised in respect to the other person's opinion.

Ok, Judy, what would you have done if Mirage had used a picture with you in it in one of their ads? I seriously doubt you would have done nothing.

Sidenote: If it would have been me, I would have called up the company and asked for my rig, since apparently I am now sponsered.;)

Okay, we agree to disagree on this. I'm happy with that.

I would ask for a rig, then sell it (just kidding), I would keep it. But I also get satisfaction of having my picture in the paper, so that would probably be enough. They do have some nice fleece jackets though.

Judy

I agree that a false, fake picture is wrong. But the picture, to the best of my knowledge, is real.

One more time...

My post was not about good, bad, fake, or real. I happened to use an example of a fake picture promoting bad feelings, simply because your question was posed in terms of "belittling beliefs". You made it sound ridiculous that a picture could affect how someone feels. I showed that a picture is a very strong way to affect someone's feeling. I could have used an opposite example, where an uplifting picture makes a person feel good. I have not commented on the Sun Path / advertising issue ONCE. I just responded to your comment saying that it's sad for someone to feel belittled by a picture. It's not sad. It's the way human senses (sight) and emotions work.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

It's not sad. It's the way human senses (sight) and emotions work.

I guess, I just have thicker skin than most. I couldn't get that upset over a nice picture of me and my teammates.

Judy

I couldn't get that upset over a nice picture of me and my teammates.

First: I'm not that upset. Second: It is a nice picture of me and my teammates; it's a picture of the U.S. team. I'm in the picture. I'm sponsored by Mirage. Sun Path put the picture in their ad. Do you see the conflict of interest? I never posted anything negative about the Javelin Odyssey, and I promise you Judy, I never will.

bbarnhouse said:

I for one do not believe that this was malicious on the part of SunPath.
I would also hope that if someone in that photo had an issue with said ad, they would take it upon themselves to contact SunPath directly. Some things can be done discreetly with better results.

As I said before, they may not have intended malice toward any of the people in that picture. Whether they meant to offend me or not (and they probably didn't), I still don't appreciate that they put that picture in their ad.

Let me also address why I brought this up in a public forum instead of contacting them directly: They ran an ad in multiple publications that are read both nationally and internationally, that featured a picture that I am in (and in which I share equal prominence) to advertise a product that I clearly do not endorse, without my permission, consent or even knowledge. I don't believe I acted unfairly or inappropriately by expressing my disapproval in a similar public fashion.

-Jason

Judy, how would you feel if a picture of you appeared on ASC's website saying how much you like their DZ? ;)

LOL. Can I be naked? and If I can't be on all their websites, I don't want to be on any.;) The feelings are mutual between me and ASC, not gonna happen. I would rather be in the happy Lesbo fake criminal picture drinking tea.

You can't even make out anyone in the pictures, they are too dark. I guess for now on the manufactures will have to start blacking out people in their pictures. It would certainly get my attention.

Judy

For starters, I would like to say "Fight nice Children"... Secondly, I don't know what you guys are talking about, WINGS makes the best rig on the market today!!! Geesh, get it right. (*Ok, that was a desperate attempt to get Aggie, Judy, and eems off each other and maybe spark a harsh thread directed right at me.
Personally, I don't think I would have ever noticed the ad being offensive, that is advertising as a whole, What "I" find offensive is the price that they ask to purchase a freakin' Mirage Container. Now THAT is offensive... Granted, Javelin, Mirage and Wings are all very very good rigs, if you ask the majority of the skydiving community, they will all tell you something different. It is not a question of WHICH container is better, but which container is who's preference! Don't you all agree? I swore by Javelin's for a long time, then I happened across Wings and I have been on them ever since, 6 in the past 3 years to be exact.
I have jumped every container out there, and FOR ME, the Wings is the most confortable. The Mirage is the most expensive. The Javeling is the best looking, and the Talon is the best piece of shit!!! (*Kidding, that was a joke people, loosen up)
I know that really got off of the topic there, but hey, just trying to make a point, you guys are going balistic over something silly. RELAX!!! Don't you guys think that 90% of all advertising is freakin' bullshit anyway? Nough said, Feel free to pounce immediately! (*Hey Judy, how the freakin' hell are ya? Long time no see)

"Sure, those Golf Carts may look all warm and fuzzy, but they WILL take a chunk out of your ass!"