eames

Misleading Sun Path Ad....

Pg. 8, Parachutist, Feb. 2004. Full-page ad for the Javelin Odyssey. The center picture of the three pictures on the left is a picture of the members of the 2003 U.S. team, many of whom do not jump Javelin Odysseys nor even endorse Sun Path products.

Does anyone think that the use of this picture by Sun Path is inappropriate, misleading, or in bad taste?

-Jason

Hell no Man...dont get so Political here..
These Guys are US Team and most People ive met
and seen in the Sport for a while might have
a Javelin or two.

Sunpath May or May not Support our US Team in one way or another and its just advertisement..

I own a Javelin and could care less if someone in a picture has one or not...2 cents..

I do see some faces in the Pic and I do know they own Javelins.
The glass is half full or half empty doesn't matter. Let go and have the Lord guide your path. He will take care of it all.

no disrespect intended, but it's in no more bad taste than having a currently running mirage ad featuring john matthews flying on it. he hasn't jumped since his accident in november of 2000....(sorry justin).

also, there are pics of the 300-way from last year up all over the place with the big sponsors (RWS, PD) on there. i'm sure not all of these 300 folks jump vectors and/or PD canopies.

when manufacturers post pics of the top 3 people that win anything and advertise they win the gold and silver, would a podium shot be wrong?

arlo

Well, it is political. Sun Path is implying that the U.S. team endorses the Javelin Odyssey.

Look, I'm not going to beat around the bush: I was on the U.S. team and I'm sponsored by Mirage. The ad irritates me.

I truly believe that Mirage makes the best rig, bar none. I've never bought anything else, I've never owned anything else, and I endorse no other container manufacturer.

I also worked very hard to become a member of the U.S. team, and I thought it was pretty unique that for one weekend, a bunch of us put brand loyalties aside and swooped for the same team. I just think that it was tasteless for Sun Path to use that picture.

-Jason

I think it's totally wrong.

It looks as if everyone in the photo is a Javelin owner, which is totally not the case.

There's a bigger issue here. The photograph is used in an ad. The photographer must have secured model releases from each of the distinguishable persons in the image for the express purpose of an ad, or he and the company using the image are very liable. The company or the photographer must have those releases on file. Smaller companies get hit hard for this shit all the time because they don't realize you can't just use any old photograph in an ad. If you intend to make money from someone's likeness, you better have written consent or be prepared to pay up.

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

My intention is certainly not to start some kind of "my brand is better than your brand" argument, and I'm not comparing this ad to any other.

I don't know much about the 300-way ads... perhaps those companies sponsored the event?

-Jason

My intention is certainly not to start some kind of "my brand is better than your brand" argument, and I'm not comparing this ad to any other.
-Jason

But if you are not doing the my brand is better than yours why did you state that Mirage is the only rig for you, and you have never jumped anything else. If you have never jumped anything else, how would know if Mirage is a better rig?

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

If you have never jumped anything else...

Read more carefully: I never said I've never jumped anything else. I've jumped almost every major brand of container... but that's beside the point.

I shared my brand loyalty to illustrate why I'm irritated with the ad.

-Jason

By the way, let me just say that everything I have written in this thread is my personal opinion, and my personal opinion only. Although I'm sponsored by Mirage, I did not post this on their (or anyone else's) behalf.

I am speaking as a member of the U.S. team.

-Jason

Well, it is political. Sun Path is implying that the U.S. team endorses the Javelin Odyssey.

Look, I'm not going to beat around the bush: I was on the U.S. team and I'm sponsored by Mirage. The ad irritates me.

I truly believe that Mirage makes the best rig, bar none. I've never bought anything else, I've never owned anything else, and I endorse no other container manufacturer.

I also worked very hard to become a member of the U.S. team, and I thought it was pretty unique that for one weekend, a bunch of us put brand loyalties aside and swooped for the same team. I just think that it was tasteless for Sun Path to use that picture.

-Jason

I agree. It brings up an interesting debate that has been going on in Photo/Video in this thread... Did SunPath sponsor the event? If not, it seems to me they'd need a release from everyone in the photo to use that photo for an advertisement.

I have yet to see the ad, but if that is the case, it dilutes my impression of SunPath. And I love my Odyssey... but in light of our recent fire losses and the responses from some gear manufacturers, I will consider all that has transpired when I make decisions next time I purchase gear.

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

Pg. 8, Parachutist, Feb. 2004. Full-page ad for the Javelin Odyssey. The center picture of the three pictures on the left is a picture of the members of the 2003 U.S. team, many of whom do not jump Javelin Odysseys nor even endorse Sun Path products.

Does anyone think that the use of this picture by Sun Path is inappropriate, misleading, or in bad taste?

I'd say that the entire ad is a bit confusing.

It probably comes from there not being a huge concern about it and not from any malicious intent. More of an art direction & management issue than trying to pull the wool over the consumer's eyes. There is a possible minor issue of releases for non-compensated (sponsored) jumpers shown in the middle photo on the left side of the ad.

The ad -does- list, by name, the first 10 place holders. I -assume- all of those listed by name do wear a Javelin Odyssey.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

The ad -does- list, by name, the first 10 place holders. I -assume- all of those listed by name do wear a Javelin Odyssey.

I believe they do all wear Javelin Odysseys, and I think that's a great idea for a Javelin Odyssey ad.

There is a possible minor issue of releases for non-compensated (sponsored) jumpers shown in the middle photo on the left side of the ad.

I'm not concerned with any legal issues. I don't want to be compensated. I'm simply expressing my opinion. That photograph has a certain meaning to me; it represents something to me; call me overly romantic, but it has sentimental value. When I look at that picture, I don't see "Javelin Odyssey."

It probably comes from there not being a huge concern about it and not from any malicious intent. More of an art direction & management issue than trying to pull the wool over the consumer's eyes.

They may not have intended malice toward any of the people in that picture, but they absolutely misrepresented some of them. I really wanted nothing more than to express that fact.

-Jason

Three things which threaten skydiving are:
Gravity, Government, and PETTINESS.
Here it is a pure example of the last one.

Yes, my point exactly. I think it was PETTY for Sun Path to use that picture in their ad.

Do you see what I mean? How do you like being misrepresented?

-Jason

Yes, yes, yes.

Sunpath will probably take some heat for this.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I hadn't noticed it and they probably shouldn't have done it. But, the long wait to get one is a bigger problem.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

Anyone remember the old Javelin ads with Derek pointing towards the articulated harness ring?

What he was really doing was concealing how much exposed reserve cable there was on that design.

Kind of annoyed me.

Mind you, I still jumped one and never had any trouble.
It was still deceptive IMO.
-Josh
If you have time to panic, you have time to do something more productive. -Me*
*Ron has accused me of plagiarizing this quote. He attributes it to Douglas Adams.

***no disrespect intended, but it's in no more bad taste than having a currently running mirage ad featuring john matthews flying on it. he hasn't jumped since his accident in november of 2000....(sorry justin)

Hey Arlo, believe me there is no offense taken here. The photo is spectacular and the fact that John is injured does not take away from him endorsing our product when he was still jumping. And we do not see anything wrong with displaying him in all of his glory in an ad. We also think it is good to remember someone who was a great sponsored jumper and extremely talented athlete that still has value. We give him the utmost respect. JT

This hole thread has turned into a sunpath bashing, Praise Mirage thread. I have issues with the Mirage rig that I asked Mirage about, but never got a response, so I have ordered a Javelin. If you want to start bashing the rig companies I believe there is a review section under Gear for everyone to state their opinion that has actually jumped one.

Judy

Should we now debate Ford vs. Chevy?

and no, I'm not sponsored in anyway by Sunpath. I pay my way.
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.