billvon

Thailand update #11 (the big one)

First things first - we got it. 357 way, certified by Sherry S. before we left the airport.

Today started out badly. At 5:30 am the sky was a slate gray, no stars to be seen. By the time we were ready to leave (6:45) it was no better, a solid overcast with a cold wind blowing. BJ kept us at the hotel for a few hours while he tried to figure out what to do with us. Today was our absolute last chance; the C130's were needed for an exercise the next day.

At around 10am we bussed out to the airport. It was just as cold, windy and overcast as it was at the hotel. After about an hour, BJ announced the plan - he had found yet another air force base (Air Wing 4, about 45 minutes away by C130) and the sky was still relatively clear there. We would take off from Korat, jump in, land there, pack, then fly back. This sounded like a bad idea to me at first. Take 350ish desperate skydivers, marginal weather, a DZ they'd never seen before, and the world's largest freefall formation - I wasn't sure we could pull it off safely.

Then I found out we'd be landing there in the aircraft first so we could see the DZ, check the winds and get a briefing. That sounded a little better. The plan was to land, leave the engines running (storms were supposed to hit by noon, so time was critical) dirt dive, get back on the planes, and go and do it. We loaded the planes with us, our gear, the minimum stuff we needed at the DZ itself (packing mats, water, pullup cords etc) and took off.

We were about 45 minutes en route. When we landed, there was a lot of confusion, and it was probably another 45 minutes before we got back in the air ready to jump. At the 2 minute call I was pretty sure we weren't going to jump - the winds were gusting and the sky was scattered to broken clouds at 10,000 feet. Then we got the one minute, then the off-oxygen call. Hmm, maybe we really were going to try this. The floaters left and we exited, with Hod and I looking for the base as we left. It was way above us, probably the highest it's ever been from our perspective. We tracked up to it, did the usual threading through the approaching wackers, and docked. I almost immediately saw a white guy go low. Great, I thought, World Team 04 is going home without a record. Across from me, sector 7 (the sometimes problematic red sector) started building with the usual small waves and pulses, people popping above and below the formation. Then it settled out and they disappeared behind the base. Then the formation stopped moving.

There's a certain feeling to a formation that's built, a feeling of solidity and smoothness that somehow gets transmitted from the outer wackers through the base through the lines. The waves stop and the tension goes away. The picture gets boring, because all you can see are the people in front of you - the rest of the formation is on-level and invisible behind the people you can see around you. And that was happening. Did we get it? Was the white guy in? I took a quick look and didn't see him anywhere. Tony was smiling, and someone in the base was kicking happily. Note that this is a potential disaster, since kicking is sometimes used as a breakoff signal. But no one was fooled. We broke off a bit low (7000 instead of 7500) and trackd away. Bob was grinning ear to ear when I turned towards him at breakoff.

Under canopy I could hear the cheering. I took my first look at Air Wing 4 from the air, set up a conservative pattern, and landed about a mile from the LZ on the far end of the runway. As we walked (and got a bus) back to the main area, everyone had the same question - did we get it? Did the french guy in the white sector get back in? Was anyone missing? Craig O'Brien thought we had it, but wanted to check something before he was sure.

We spent a nervous half-hour eating grapefruit and drinking water. Vendors for both had magically appeared at the impromptu DZ, which was a sleepy air force base in some low hills about 200 miles north of Korat. Finally BJ called us for a dirt dive, and during the dirt dive Sherry came out to make it official - we had a 357 way!

After the cheering and hugging stopped we put all the remaining alpha team people on the dive and went up to try to do a 367 way. It was not to be; one of the O2 hoses on the D aircraft had a problem and someone passed out on the tailgate. A few people dragged him inside and stayed with him as the rest of the plane exited, so we never had a chance. Still, it built well, and we had most of the jumpers in before breakoff.

It was also the first time I allowed myself to really look around. The storm was very close by this time, and the horizon was a mass of bluish-grey cloud with wispy white clouds advancing before it. Below were the rice paddies, fields, canals and roads of rural Thailand, visible in detail even from 20,000 feet. I was glad I had a chance to see that before I left.

We broke off and landed just as the edge of the storm slid overhead. We had made it by about 10 minutes. We packed fast, bought a few beers (which had appeared as magically as the grapefruit) and piled on the C130's to fly back to Korat. I spent much of the flight back in the cockpit, looking at Thailand from a perspective I hadn't seen before. The crews were all happy and relaxed; they had put almost as much energy and time into this event as we had. At one point there were twelve of us in the cockpit milling around, taking pictures and telling stories.

Then we landed and headed to the "authentic western celebration" at the airbase. BJ and the air wing commander gave a few speeches, and much free beer was consumed by airbase personnel and skydivers alike. The aircrews got a standing ovation, as did the six Thai skydivers on the record. I ducked out early to pack and write this.

Tomorrow we head back to Bangkok; most people will be there for one night before we leave on Sunday. Waking up this morning I honestly didn't think we were going to get it before tonight. It seemed like we had too much going against us, from weather to an almost two day hiatus to the normal problems of putting so many people in the air at one time. I'm glad I was wrong.

Coming soon - the story of Melanie and the elephant.

Congrats to everyone involved!

Indeed but can everyone also please spare a thought for those members of the team who weren't on the jump for reasons such as injury or whatever...
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

B|B|
WTG's to the entire team! 357 is a huge accomplishment!

Thanks to Kate, Bill and Val for their reporting. It made the rest of us really feel part of the effort and now we are all cheering for you as well.

Elaine
(Going to get a glass of champagne to raise!)

OK, everyone together on this---

THEM

THEM

F**K THEM!!!!!!B|B|B|

OUTSTANDING!
Thank-you for the reports. At times it made me feel like I was there watching, and at times they made me feel like I was in it.
Good job. Now get home saftly!
BLUE SKIES,
WB
----------------------------------------------
"Thats not smoke, thats BUCKEYE!!"
AQR#3,CWR#49

Congrats to everyone involved!

Indeed but can everyone also please spare a thought for those members of the team who weren't on the jump for reasons such as injury or whatever...

good point, craig. whenever i congratulate a team for a job well done, it is for the ENTIRE team. in my mind, the entire team includes all the folks that were there wearing the suits and colors. inevitably, there will be those out for injury, sickness, bad day, whatever. no, their name will not be on the record page per se. but without the team in its entirety, they would not be where they are. i feel for kate and val as well, but they know the meaning of "team" enough to be so very proud of their teammates whether they were or weren't on the record dive.

my most sincere congratulations go out to the entire world team 2004!!! you guys rock!! you guys just made the biggest thing that has ever fallen out of the sky. :)

now, time to celebrate a phenomenal job well done. B|

arlo
elaine...pour me a glass, would ya?

(this was the email kate sent out...also on perriscam)
========================

Subject: Thailand Day 17 Jump day 11 NEW WORLD RECORD!!!

Wow. What a day. If this were a Hollywood script it would have been
turned down for being too drama filled.

First--to keep from torturing you--I'm proud to announce that
World Team '04 set a new World Record in Formation Skydiving today.
A 357 way held for over 6 seconds.

Now--how we got there....

First, skip back to last night. Went out for dinner in town. The
heavens opened and yet another deluge drowned korat. Electricity out
all over town, including the restaurant we chose. Dinner by
candlelight and a soggy rush back to the hotel. No stars. No moon.
just rain.

Woke up to grey soggy skies. The message board told us that we
wouldn't even head out to the DZ until 8;00 instead of our normal
6:45. What's the rush. My shoulder had been bothering me, so I went
with Larry Henderson to the local hospital to get some x-rays done.
360 baht (less than $10) for two x-rays. It would have cost an
additional 100 baht to have them read by a doctor. I saved my $2.50
since there were doctors back at the hotel.

On the way back Larry got a phone call. Change of plans. Change of
venue. Pal Bergan and Roger Ponce were en route to Tok-li, an Airforce
base 100 km west of Korat in the BT 26 (DC-3) on rumor of blue skies
and large fields. We were to assemble the team post haste at the
airport and prepare to move the show to the new airport. 400 jumpers,
packers, accompanying personnel, judges, children and me. All needed
to be transported to Tok Li if the scouting party reported back
positively.

We go to grips at the airport to make sure everyone is there. 357
people. The formation drawing is recorded and signed off by judges. We wait
for the call under surprisingly cold and grey skies.

We wait. Eat. Play catch. Too cold for ice cream today. Too cold for
massage. X-rays show no break in shoulder--all good news. The
discomfort I've been experiencing is no doubt do to 18 hour days on my
feet and lack of tequila.

The call comes. The field is open, safe and the skies are blue. We're
cleared to move. The RTAF (Royal Thai Air Force) is supporting our
event and once again they have bent over backwards to help WT 04
achieve it's goal.

We load 5 Hercules with jumpers and support crew and taxi out. I climb
on board plane Bravo and head up to "first class" to find AVN Bounchoy
already seated--he's joining us to cheer us on. He sees me scrambling
up the stairs and summarily boots a flight crew member out of a seat
so I can set by him. Note this is not the same thing as him offering
me his seat--he offered me someone elses seat. It's good to be a
general.

At the field by 12:30 pm. Skies are blue, field is large. Thanks to
American cookie cutter base designs Korat and Tok-Li are virtually
identical--from hangar configuration to runway access. It's safe to
drop 400 people here.

The load assembles for one last dirt dive at the new airfield.
Cypreses are turned on, Altimeters zeroed, and the wind and landing
directions are
pointed out and the planes are loaded (for the third time) for World record
attempt #7.

At approximately 1:45 pm the exit came from 23,900
feet above Tok Li. The dive was easy to spot and built quickly and
uniformly. White was the last sector to close and even from the ground
it was easy to see the last dockers. The dive was perfect. We were
screaming and yelling from the ground and soon were joined by landing
jumpers sharing elation. One dive. That's all it took.

The videos are rushed to the judges--due to rush to the new airport we don't
even have tv screens, and dives are dubbed onto laptops and scored.
357 sets of grips are meticulously checked by the judges. There is a
broken grip in Sector 9. A fumbled dock in Sector 3. Each time the
clocks are reset and breathes are held.

The BT 26 flies in with the local 4 star general to share the good
news. TV crews show up. People kiss, cry, hug, pace, worry and share. Beer
vendors
miraculously appear and we try and keep jumpers from visiting them
before the decisions are official.

The decision is made to go up again. The judging process is
taking too long, and we can't sacrifice our window for our second (and
last jump) assuming we have the record only to find out there is a
problem--the alphas--those who were not on
the record for various reasons are asked to come to the dirtdive. If we
find out the record is valid, then they will join us. The record was held for
exactly 6 seconds--well in excess of the new FAI mandate of "showing
the picture" and legal by the old 3 and older 5 second rules.

We lifted 366 people for the second load of the day. One of the planes had
an oxgen
supply issue and the dive did not build as cleanly, but all landed
safely.

We load up the 6 planes again for the return to Korat. I cannot
describe the mood of the team. From darkest despair--no apparent
chance of a record to wild success and a new World Record in less than
24 hours. A story book ending indeed.

Directly after landing at the field in Korat we were bussed to a nearby
hangar on
the airbase (under still cloudy skies) and were treated to a wonderful
going away feast worthy of champions.

i just got back to the hotel--people are heading out for a well
deserved night on the town and what will most likely be an all night
celebration.

What a day
What a story
What a team
400 way anyone?

bluest of skies
kate

Congratulations! B|B|

Tomorrow we head back to Bangkok; most people will be there for one night...

"One night in Bagkok makes the tough guys crumble..." LOL...I hope no one...er...caught anything!! ;)

Congrats!
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

WOOHOO! There is some rare air over in Thailand! 2 for 2 for record attempts has got to feel great!

Good job by all, we are proud of all of you!

Now - get those damn pictures on the web, I wanna see this thing!