elfanie

Horsey-ride in freefall

Ok...after watching freeflir29's video....I have a question.

At one point there were two people in a jump together and doing a "horsey ride"..one jumper was belly-flying and the other was hitching a ride on his back.

Now...what would their fall rate likely be? If tandems need a drogue because of speed...wouldn't someone doing this type of jump also find themselves going screamingly fast? How long before deployment should someone doing this break up and try and slow down?

--------------------------------------------
Elfanie
My Skydiving Page
Fly Safe - Soft Landings

Now...what would their fall rate likely be? If tandems need a drogue because of speed...wouldn't someone doing this type of jump also find themselves going screamingly fast? How long before deployment should someone doing this break up and try and slow down?

Tandems need a drogue to slow down so that when they open, they don't blow up canopies.

In the case of a rodeo dive, yes the pair are going faster together, but then they break off, track away, and in the process of doing so, slow down. Then when they dump, they are doing a "normal" freefall speed.
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

I've done 2 rodeos, and it's been in the 160 - 170 range

I have done a handful of rodeo jumps, the one I actually got the speed recorded on, we were doing 174.......we were smok'n!B|

That's what I was wondering...thanks!!

Also...if you're doing this type of jump, how long do you need to give yourself to slow down?
In other words...if you plan to pull at 4K....at what altitude should you break off (or hop off ;) ) and allow yourself to slow down? How long does it take to slow down so that you're at a better speed to pull?

(I've "tasted" freeflying a couple of times...and couldn't get used to the fact that going from a sit to a track your fallrate is still so much higher that when I'd look at my alt, I was lower than I anticipated I'd be. For example...if I track for a 5-count, I normally lose about 1000 feet after an RW jump. If I sit - or flop around ;) - and then flip to belly and track for a 5-count, I lose more like 1300 feet or so...that was hard for me to get used to.)

--------------------------------------------
Elfanie
My Skydiving Page
Fly Safe - Soft Landings

I've done 2 rodeos, and it's been in the 160 - 170 range

I have done a handful of rodeo jumps, the one I actually got the speed recorded on, we were doing 174.......we were smok'n!B|

That's what I was wondering...thanks!!

Also...if you're doing this type of jump, how long do you need to give yourself to slow down?
In other words...if you plan to pull at 4K....at what altitude should you break off (or hop off ;) ) and allow yourself to slow down? How long does it take to slow down so that you're at a better speed to pull?

(I've "tasted" freeflying a couple of times...and couldn't get used to the fact that going from a sit to a track your fallrate is still so much higher that when I'd look at my alt, I was lower than I anticipated I'd be. For example...if I track for a 5-count, I normally lose about 1000 feet after an RW jump. If I sit - or flop around ;) - and then flip to belly and track for a 5-count, I lose more like 1300 feet or so...that was hard for me to get used to.)

I'm interested in that answer too, Elfanie...I tracked for 4 sec's after a hybrid and had one HELL of a slammer...:( Top speed on my ProTrack was 199mph...eeesh...slammer popped a steering line loose, wrapped around the slider as it bounced, tension knot = hard spiral = cutaway = one memorable birthday...:o

Yes all I will admit complete responsibility in not finding out exactly what a hybrid jump would do (I had NO IDEA what kind of speed I was getting into) and how to react to it prior to jumping on that load -aka, slow the hell down before deploy!!! My bad...but I've been a lil' shy to try again after that mis-hap...[:/] I mean, how much slower can I get after taking someone that falls so dang fast anyhoo and trying to put on the brakes??
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

oh WAAAHHHH

what sort of cheeze are you wanting with that....merlot;)

To be honest as soon as you cork to your belly you slow down really fast, so much so that if you are in a head down going very fast throwing your arms out and corking to a belly stable can freakin HURT. Be sure to come out of one of those dives carefully. Also for true speed readings you have to have the Pro-track near your MLW... center mass. if its in a place like your helmet or on your leg you can get false readings.

I've ridden a few down...one was especially memorable because he was such a big guy and I am such a small woman that sitting on him (no stupid jokes here), in his burble, I felt like we weren't going very fast at all. He was in a delta track. His audible displayed 206mph! Yeehaw!!
Uh, if you try this at home, make sure your rig is very snug, no loose tabs, risers, etc. Otherwise, you'll be snatched from the back of your bronc harder than you ever imagined.
Attitude is everything!

Give yourself at least a 1,000 to 1,500' feet to dismount, get stable, and pull. While you're doing that, the 'horse' can go into a track and make sure you both have adequate separation. Be very sure you're both on the same page with respect to break-off altitude and who's tracking where! Have fun, be safe.
Attitude is everything!

oh WAAAHHHH

what sort of cheeze are you wanting with that....merlot;)

To be honest as soon as you cork to your belly you slow down really fast, so much so that if you are in a head down going very fast throwing your arms out and corking to a belly stable can freakin HURT. Be sure to come out of one of those dives carefully. Also for true speed readings you have to have the Pro-track near your MLW... center mass. if its in a place like your helmet or on your leg you can get false readings.

A-ha...alrighty then.

-An' we can start with a nice White Zinfadel! :P -You weren't there that day, Jeanne! That was sooo embarrassing, walking into the jumpcenter holding orange instead o' red, white, an' blue...I told Todd on the ride back "Let's just keep this quiet...maybe people will be too busy packing to notice what canopy I'm carrying here..." and you know Todd had to announce it to everyone as we walked in..."Attention everybody..." Gee, thanks buddy! :S
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.