Blahr

Falling too fast

The subject says it all.

For my size I weigh a ton. I'm 5' 10 1/2 ", 32 inch waist,
and I weigh about 210 lbs.
This is due to body building. So, my mass:volume
ratio is far higher than average and most of that mass is
in my chest, arms, shoulders, upper back, so I'm seriously top heavy to boot.
I weigh about 245 lbs out the door while presenting about the same surface area to the wind as someone far lighter.

The result is that (according to a protrack) my average speed in a belly to earth position is something like 135 mph.

This is with a fairly wingy poly cotton jumpsuit too.

The next result is that I try so hard to slow down when jumping with others that I'm on the edge of stability and fly like shit.

Realistically, this will make me the guy that nobody wants to jump with pretty quickly.
I know that a bigger jumpsuit can help somewhat, but I'm interested in hearing any and all other suggestions.

Before anyone suggests it, losing weight is not an option. I dont have a lot of fat to shed and I've worked too hard to gain the muscle.

Cheers,

Chris

I'm in your same boat (although I'm sure I'm not nearly as lean as you are), but I'm an avid weight lifter (and beer drinker), thus out the door I'm 280-285 and am 6'1" tall.

I can still get down and average 115mph on a dive, though.

How did I do it?

Dress for success, you need to get a jumpsuit that will help you. I for one went with OUT swoop cords, but I had all the other tricks added to my RW suit to go slow. What else helped? I got a Skydive U coach to teach me how to slow down.

So, try finding a RW suit that will help you (search for my thread on my BevSuit) and get some good high-end coaching. Hell, I'd really suggest going through Skydive U if you can, it'll only help.

Oh, if I'm not wearing my RW suit, my belly to earth speed is 125-135mph (125 if I'm fighting to go slow, even in my FF suit).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Dave,

Looking at the pictures of your Bev suit.

Are those things on the shins actual pockets that open
up and catch air like some Freefly tops I've seen?

Sounds like suit mods can definitely help. My suit isnt snug but its not particularly baggy either.

I'm not real sure how much they help with general fall rate, but I know they help a lot if I get low and am trying to get back up. Since in my normal body position they don't really catch that much air, but if I have my legs out trying to pop up, they catch. They're pretty cool when tracking too.;)

Beyond that the suit is double lines on the torso, baggy arms, the right kind of material (slow, can't remember the actual material) and such.

Besides that, the biggest thing that really helped me was getting some good coaching.B|

Good luck and keep us informed of what you do and how it works.

Besides that, the biggest thing that really helped me was getting some good coaching.
***That is the most important part...as Dave says!

I'm 6'4" and 270 out the door...
I jump a fairly tight Tony Suit...
After trying all kinds of 'magic' suit fixes...
I got some technique critique from
and actual 'skygod' that changed
everything...
It wasn't WHAT i was flying, but HOW!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

wooo.. I see a big way team forming here for us fast fallers.. we'll need a heat shield ! :D I too have the baggy suit thing going but I have to go with AggieD's advise as it wasn't until I started receiving specific coaching recently that I noticed a real difference. I still have a long way to go but maybe Aggie might impart some more words of wisdom for us newbies.....?

Who said Kiwis can't fly?

As you can see from the other posts.. you are not alone..

I am also a bodybuilder, 5' 9", 195.

I have about 700 jumps, with the last 150 or so formation stuff (20-way -> 100-way).

Prior to the formation stuff I did primarily 4-6 way so fall rate was not a much of an issue as it is now..

Tell me if this sounds familiar:

As I approach the formation I would think 'oh shit... I am going to go low'... when though I put on the brakes in plenty of time. Then I stop just in time to not go low (or sometimes I do go low and its over) and spend the rest of the dive as flat as a sheet of plywood praying that I don't bust and go low... but since I am as flat as a board, I can't fly for beans so making the easiest corrections is very difficult..

I have a poly cotton suit, booties, etc, etc..

--

Ok, now for my solution:

I just got back from a big way camp in perris. On the first few 20 ways I was back in the same situation (above). I did not want to spend the whole camp dealing with this. So, on the advise of Tony Domenico and Kate Cooper I put on a HUGE sweatshirt. The next dive it was like the mysteries of the universe were solved. I was flying my slot, popping up, sinking down, side to side, and overall chillin' in my slot. I thought "Oh my.. I am on the outside of a 20-way and just chillin' here with no problems..."

So, advise #1 is to do the same. On your next skydive, put on a huge sweatshirt (thick cotton, pretty big on you). Of course, make sure everything is tucked in (e.g. the bottom is under your leg straps, etc) and your handles are visible.

Your world will change.

Advise #2, you need to get another suite. As AggieDave said "Dress for Success"..

I talked with Tony afterwards and ordered a new Tony suit. I also wrote on the order form (well, Tony at Sq1 did) to make it EXTRA big using the heaviest material they had. It's a lot easier to take the suit in a little if its too big, however, if its too small thats $350 down the tubes..

Let me know if I can help anymore..

wooo.. I see a big way team forming here for us fast fallers.. we'll need a heat shield ! :D

there was a thread a while back with the subject "Anvils"...try looking that up.

My husband is one of the Anvils. ;) he's 6'2" and his exit weight is around 285 or so. I think it would be cool to get a big team together...ya'll can call yourself the "Falling Anvils". B|

--------------------------------------------
Elfanie
My Skydiving Page
Fly Safe - Soft Landings

I have jumped with guys your size and bigger. One as big as 350, we called him Big Pat for the obvious reason. He had a panel sewn in between his thighs and a full wing suit. Not much forward/backward motion, but good turns.

Two things. Suit and training. However, I will say this first - you must have an average fallrate in a relaxed position. Your relaxed position is in the middle of your range.

Training will help you go faster/slower, but that is your reserve. For swooping, you must slow down on approach. In the base, you must speed sometimes to counter lift or push.

Dress for success. My average fallrate is 110-112. Pick a speed. Get a suit that puts you there. That way you will have range.

I have a weight belt for extra speed. 4 extra lbs is 120 mph.

I would imagine thats slang for booties...

Maybe. However, the "pockets" on my lower legs above the booties are also called "Afterburners" so it could be that as well. (If you search, you'll find a pic of my suit and see what I'm talking about...its a BevSuit btw).

Thanks...looks like a good idea..

I once thought of sewing in a 7"x7" triangle shaped piece of material under the armpits and one in the crotch to cause drag, any experienced jumpers got any thoughts on this?

----------------------------------------------------
If the shit fits - wear it (blues brothers)--

Thanks...looks like a good idea..

I once thought of sewing in a 7"x7" triangle shaped piece of material under the armpits and one in the crotch to cause drag, any experienced jumpers got any thoughts on this?

I think it would hurt unless you had a local anaesthetic.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.