ifics

Sabre2 question born from another post..

Reading the previous post on Sabre1 slams I was interested to hear peoples experiences with the Sabre2. So far mine have been great but I only have 30 jumps on it, so my question is to people with hundreds of jumps a Sabre2. Has PD fixed the problem?

maybe over fixed it, I demoed one and the first jump I did it took a grand to open.

Yes, they are developing a reputation for long snivel and off heading openings. Love mine though! Typically opens in 500' to 700' and often enough off heading.
Now, maybe if I didn't ball it up and stuff it in....
Seriously, it flies great!

200 jumps on a S2. Never a slam, but the "off-heading" openings that people refer to on this canopy is probably not an actual off heading opening. It seems to open on-heading but sometimes it then immediately "seeks" it's own heading. My rigger explained it to me as a situation with the trim settings. Love the canopy- soft openings with plenty of pep to play around with.
Blue 111-
Jeff

"When I die, I want to go like my grandmother, who died peacefully in her sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in her car."

I have never been slammed by a Sabre2.

I have been slammed, but it was likely a packing error (something along the line of rushing to get on a load and not noticing that the slider was NOT all the way up). So it likely wasn't the canopies fault. But it was my worst slammer to date (knock on wood).

Sabre2s are good canopies.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Had a sabre2-150 from jump 32 through 382 and never a hard opening. Some openings longer then others, some want to take their own heading once open like someone else mentioned but in making my first step down....Head right for another Sabre2. Demo'd the 135 and fell in love all over again, cause now I will weight it a bit better and get to play a little more.

But then again, I've never jumped anything else so I can't really say....:P

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

I have told this story here before, but I think it needs to be repeated on this thread:

Bought a Sabre2 150 with less than 70 jumps from a friend. Canopy opened great and on heading. Fast forward 6-9 months and 700-800 jumps. Seemed like during a short period of time I started consistently getting off heading openings.

I could not keep the canopy on heading during deployment regardless of what I tried. Often I would be rotated more than 45+ degrees one direction and then slammed 180+ degrees in the opposite direction.

I had not changed packers since I bought the canopy and thought initially that maybe the openings were due to something the packer was doing or not doing, but couldn't understand why the packer would change procedures. Discussed it and was assured nothing was being done differently.

Several other packers at different DZ's could tame it a little, but openings were still erratic. On heading one jump, radical turns on the next.

Then it happened. I get the mother of all hard openings. I didn't realize how bad it was at the time even though I somehow managed to kick my face shield in on my Z1 during the deployment. Had the sore neck and back, but brushed it off and finished the day with a few more jumps.

Took the next week off because I was going to my first Perris Big Way camp the week after that and had already paid my camp deposit. The four days of the camp went fine although I was always seemed to have a very sore neck and back at the end of each day and my left knee had started hurting.

Got back to Houston and cut back on jumping a little to let things heal. First day at Rantoul after 3 jumps and I suddenly couldn't walk, stand up, sit-down or lay down. Right leg had no feeling at all from knee to ankle, and my right knee was really throbbing. For some reason left knee suddenly was not painful.

After a very, very long week without sleep and a lot of pain (Clinic in Rantoul could not see me for a week!) I manage to get back to Houston courtesy of a lot of folks and wheelchairs (Thanks Southwest Air!). Went straight to the Dr from the airport and had an MRI the next day. Herniated L4 (North and South herniation) and fracture at L5, nerve damage to right leg.

This was in August and I didn't get back into the air until November after twice a week physical therapy.

During the downtime, I sent the main back to PD and told them what was going on. The found five little holes on one side and replaced the line set which they said was badly out of trim.

Canopy now opens great with only a little wiggle at depolyment.

Moral: Take care of your gear. Inspect it frequently and do not put off a reline just to postpone spending a little money. It cost me a lot more than a reline by the time everything was fixed.

If you have a Sabre2 have your rigger check the lines at the next repack, especially if you have 400-500 jumps on the canopy. He might take a look at the main and see if those little holes are there. The PD rep told me they have found them on several rigs that have been returned for reline.

Blues,

Blue skies,

Jim

After blowing up my Sabre 135 doing a standup opening on small skyboard, I went to a Sabre 2 120 and never looked back. The openings rock.

--Douva
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

I like my Sabre2. The openings are PRETTY, though I have been slammed on it 3-4 times, but that was due to shitty pack jobs I believe. (a couple were mine, 1 was a packer at a really busy boogie and he was in a hurry cuz i was on a 15 i think...)

But for the most part, yeah, I like the openings.

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

I've been jumping a sabre2 190 since April, about 200 jumps and never had a slammer. On all my openings, at least one end cell is collapsed, but I can handle that because I look for it on every jump. Contacted PD and I was told that this is a common problem. Still love the canopy and I'm glad I bought it.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

I am jumping the Sabre2 150 (loaded at 1.4) and I absolutely love it.
I do have the end cell problem, but pulling the rear risers a bit fixes that problem, and I consider it a non issue.
The openings are great! Nice long snivel, and that was what I was after, since I jump with cameras.
It was either the Spectre or the Sabre2 for me and since I wanted a little more performance I went with the Sabre2

Thanks,
Iwan

I've yet to get it to open on heading,but i'm guessing that comes from it's habit of sniveling for 1000 ft Still love it though!:)
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

What problems are you talking about? Hard openings? Not on mine. Nice, smooth, non-slamming 800-1100 foot openings. It's the best all around canopy I've had yet.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717