KrisFlyZ

No more screws and other stories!!

I visited the doctor on tuesday to talk about getting the screws in my ankle removed. He said Monday the 9th at 11:00 AM.

So the screws are out, see pics.

I desperately wanted to get back in the air, its been more than 2 months since I last jumped. So last saturday(calm winds ~10 mph, blue skies and a very wet and soft earth) I jumped twice(instructor jumps). I was cleared to jump by myself on the first one but needed sign off on some items on the A-License checklist.

It was great to be back in the air. My tailbone survived because of the wet and soft earth. I was on radio and asked my instructor for flare help.

When I heard flare on the radio, I buried the toggles
and sank the last 5 ft. I had to get the ankle away from the earth and landed butt first. The jump suit had a 2" thick layer of dirt on it around the butt area when I took it off. Things would have been different had it been dry.

As a fellow "just off the injured" list....

When you "do" something... and the doc tells you 9 months before you can jump again... he generally means it.

When you get "healed" and you feel like you "could" jump... wait 2 more weeks.

There is no sense in screwing up whatever you screwed up in the first place again.

GraficO

PS... jeeeze I feel lighter now... must have been the plate and the 9 screws they took out of me! :S Photos attached.... also a photo of the heel 1 year later ( 1 year Anniversary next weekend)
GraficO

"A Mind is a terrible thing to taste."

I've got a weak ankle (broken like yours with metal work out) but I never consider landing on my butt an option. You could seriously screw your back like that. If you keep your landing gear down, both ankles together and PLF you'll reduce your chances of getting hurt again a lot. If in doubt PLF - I'm sure it's saved me many a time paragliding and a few times diving. Good Luck.

cheers

Mike

I've got a weak ankle (broken like yours with metal work out) but I never consider landing on my butt an option. You could seriously screw your back like that. If you keep your landing gear down, both ankles together and PLF you'll reduce your chances of getting hurt again a lot. If in doubt PLF - I'm sure it's saved me many a time paragliding and a few times diving. Good Luck.

cheers

Mike

I totally agree having seen your landing first hand. Had the ground not been in the condition that it was, I think you would probably be getting x-rays. I know that you have been really patient about getting off of your injury, but I would wait until you are 100% before getting back in the air. I would think that depending on a PLF landing isn't the way to go.

Be safe, not sorry....
Blue Skies!!!
Kimmy

I broke my left leg -- distal spiral fracture of the fibula -- on a rough landing on jump #8 (it happened to be my AFF graduation dive). Thought I'd just sprained it, made the two-hour drive home, headed to the ER the next day because it just hurt like a sonofabitch. The (incredibly, incredibly hot) orthopod decided that a month in a cast was sufficient, and thus I avoided surgery.

That accident grounded me for four months.... Those 120 days sucked. I looked back in my journal and found myself writing things like this:

I dream of the familiar cinch of a harness, the smell of aviation gasoline, the roar of propeller blast, the dry taste of those rarified heights, the moment of release and nothing beneath me but fifteen thousand feet of air....

With that being said...please take it easy. The last line of your post, frankly, scares me. You've got the rest of your life to jump -- why not wait until you're recovered?

I understand what you are saying.

It is difficult to not get tempted when you are looking at 8 mph winds, blue skies and soft wet earth. Knowing that I'll be in a place that only has warm temps for a month (out of the year, and a job in which I might get paget at anytime)did'nt help either.

I will stay off the air until I am better.

P.S: I did'nt jump after that high flare landing.

Hey Kris

I fractured my large right toe on Superbowl Sunday in a minor accident here at home. It's getting better after about a week but it will be middle March before I can jump again I guess. I'm looking at the weekend of March 20th. or so. It seems like walking funny with the toe taped I seem to be putting a lot of stress on my knee and back. Be very careful out there and really give the foot time to heal. I've broken my right ankle and right heal and when you can run on it it should be strong enough to jump on it at least that is what has always worked for me.

Blue Skies
Chris
Skydive Houston