cvfd1399

Ever got a bruise like this from leg strap?

i used to, but now I don't any more. I think I had my leg straps TOO tight. Now they're just comfortable.:)
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

Cool. I just don't understand why it is only one leg that gets bruised. The straps are always even.

I had a master rigger talk to me about this very issue. The straps should not necessarily be even! Most people have one side of their body slightly larger than the other. If you are right handed you right arm will be bigger around than your left. He said this is frequently the same for legs too. He told me to measure the thickness of my legs and see if there was a difference. If one is larger than the other by say, 1-inch, than the leg straps should be 1 inch different. This is not a perfect explanation but you get the idea. He said he laughs every time he sees people making their straps exactly the same length as all they are doing is guaranteeing they are fit differently!
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I constantly get this from only my right leg strap on opening. Had to crop the pic b/c it's near the no fly zone. The bruise is about the size of 2 quarters.

I have gotten bruises about 10 times that bad on student gear. I was black and blue all through my groin from a javelin / nav 280 setup and could barely stand to throw the pilot out going through AFF.

Sux, but the freefall was worth it...
Oz

The only time my legs get the mysterous brusies is when I jump Eclipse Tandem Harnesses (Strong, Vector, Sigma don't...go figure!)

Interesting. My tandem rig is an Eclipse and I've never had a bruise. Other than weight, I find it as comfortably fitting as my Wings rig.

Bruises are common on students for two reasons. First, most student harnesses are designed by the same fiend who designs one-size-fits-nobody boots for the army.
Secondly, many students only tighten leg straps AROUND their thighs. Unfortunately they often leave their leg straps an inch or two BELOW their crotches. Inevitably those straps end up (excuse the pun) in their crotches, but they create bruises when they travel that last inch or two.
The solution involves tightening leg straps UP in your crotch.

I agree with riggerrob. Leg straps set too low on the leg will cause bruising. Part of this is a tendencey on the part of some JMs to leave the main lift webs too long. The yoke on virtually all student rigs is built to fit a very stocky tall man. If that is not you, look at the position of the large ring on your cutaway system. If it sitting up on your shoulder then you need to adjust (shorten) your main lift webs. And tighten those leg straps; for those who say you don't want them too tight, I say don't hold that shotgun too close to your shoulder before you pull the trigger.

I used to get bruised all the time from the student rigs. Now I own one that fits, and I tighten my leg straps so tight it is hard to walk. Works for me!
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

On my team we give each other thumb-print bruises from dirt-dives and creeping.

The otter doors give HUGE bruises to the ineer thigh if you are a camera person or rear rear float. Heinous.

I used to live with perpetualy leg-strap bruises until I got a custom container. Ahhhhh....

Rox