CerealKilla

Hop and Pops

Sure.

1. Do what your instructor tells you to do.

2. Relax

3. Arch!

There's nothing different from this then any other skydive. So what if you're lower then usual. You still exit, arch, reach, pull. Although usually there's some time inbetween step 2 and 3.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Well, what is your minimum pull altitude? 3000 feet? That means from 5500' you can take 15 seconds in the (unlikely) event that you tumble or something. No sweat. Once you do the jump from 5500' and know that you can nail that exit, the jump from 3500' will be cake.

Oh, I meant to mention, I tell my students a mantra to say when they do their hop-n-pops.

Exit
Arch-1000
reach-1000
pull-1000
look-1000

So all in all it should take roughly 3 seconds to exit and pull, when using the mantra, since SIM says pull within 5 seconds, you're in like flynn man.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

If you have been pulling at or near 3500 look at it this way. the last time you went through that altitude you were doing terminal velocity which means the ground was much closer time wise. So if you think that you actually have more time on a H&P then you will be cool.

I love hop and pops.

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

Oh, I meant to mention, I tell my students a mantra to say when they do their hop-n-pops.

Exit
Arch-1000
reach-1000
pull-1000
look-1000

So all in all it should take roughly 3 seconds to exit and pull, when using the mantra, since SIM says pull within 5 seconds, you're in like flynn man.B|

Thats the same thing they taught me on my first C&P in 1976, only then it was "look-1000" instead of reach.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Exit
Arch-1000
reach-1000
pull-1000
look-1000

Thats the same thing they taught me on my first C&P in 1976, only then it was "look-1000" instead of reach.
Sparky

I believe that the "look" before pull causes many to dearch...or so I've read.

Hop and Pops are great...no need to worry...As a IAD student...lower alt jumps dont bother me at all(well 3500)....just get out stable and throw...enjoy the canopy ride:)

hop n pop
hop n chop
hop n swoop

A year ago I moved from a piston-only DZ (max exit altitude 9500 agl) to a turbine-only DZ. The extra altitude has done wonders for my freeflying and tandem jumps are way cooler, but there is definitely a part of me that misses the hop n pops. Short ride to altitude (a blessing when you're packed four deep in a 180) and Yeehaa! Take ten seconds, throw it out and enjoy the empty landing pattern. Plus there were still jumps to be had when that 5,000 scud slipped in.

The point is: enjoy 'em just like you would any other jump. HAVE FUN!

Elvisio "any ride to altitude" Rodriguez

:)
If your previous jumps have ALL been from a much higher altitude,,, and if they have been tandem or even AFF,, then you were likely quite occupied with your exit timing,,, your body position and your altitude awareness,,as you should be....:|:D
But... Have you ever REALLY taken a good look at the Plane!!???? upon exit?? :o
If NOT....or if not often,,,. then here is your chance!. See if you can exit with a head high attitude,,,, nice relaxed arch,,, and make it a point to Really SEE the wing of the aircraft, the door and the fuselage,,, as you leave...B|.
Press into a relaxed arch, get your head back and your eyes Up..feeeel the propwash..... and when you wave goodbye to your instructor in the door,,as you are first stepping away..,,, It will be a visual that you won't soon forget..:ph34r:;):) Complete the exit ( hop ) continue with your exit count,,,and pull in a timely manner ( pop) . No problem....then enjoy the canopy ride...:ph34r:

Why are you nervous? Your still jumping from a plane, EVERYTHING is the same except you have 10(depending) seconds of freefall instead of 60.

Do you still have some High jumps to do? if not then just go do another High solo, And when you exit the plane just do a AFF 1 all over again but within the first 10seconds of exit.

13,500 exit
arch
alti
12,500 or whatever (just not below 11,500' if so then do it again) :S
reach
Grab(dont pull)
relax
-normal skydive-

Then do the same exact thing but you'll be at 5,500 instead of 13,500.

and have fun! :)

No words of wisdom from me... sorry. :P I'm just about as new as you are. What I do have is a question that seemed like it would fit well in this thread...

While working on my A a few weeks back I asked someone at the DZ about the hop and pop from 3500 that is listed as a requirement on the A card. I had already done a hop and pop from 5000 during AFF and the thought of exiting significantly lower than I *ever* pull didn't really appeal to me. If I have to do it in an emergency thats one thing, but doing it just for the hell of it, so to speak, didn't give me that warm fuzzy feeling. From what several of the guys at the DZ told me the jump from 5000 would count for that requirement b/c the goal of the requirement was for the student to do a hop and pop for the experience and that the altitude wasn't critical.

Does this sound right to everyone or is it mandatory for it to be from 3500? If it does have to be from that altitude its no big deal... I'd just rather not do it if I don't have to.

-syn
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain
a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty
nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Good words, JT.

Despite growing up at a 182 DZ (...Still there) with 9000 ft jumps, it wasn't until I really concentrated on LOOKing at the plane that I really nailed that upright CReWish hop n pop exit. Like a Rodeo ride, my license lets me 'about' 8 seconds from a 3k hop n pop and I use it often enougn :PB|B|B|B|:|[:/]:o ... :):):):):)

It's fun when you can dump so early that you can still see the plane flying away as you 'sit up' into a backfly and admire the sunset an an 'air bed'.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

I had already done a hop and pop from 5000 during AFF and the thought of exiting significantly lower than I *ever* pull didn't really appeal to me.

Never say never. The majority of experienced skydivers pull at 3500' or lower, and odds are you will too after a while.

You can look at it this way: If you exit at 3500' and take a short delay you will probably have an open main above 3000'. My Triathlon takes 700-800 feet to open at terminal freefall, but with a hop n pop I usually have an open main 300-400 feet after leaving the aircraft.

I didn't mean for it to sound like I never intended on pulling that low in future... just not now with my experience level. "time == altitude" and I want as much time as possible. :)I talked with some people at the DZ about the dynamics of a hop and pop. They explained pretty much the same stuff you mentioned about loosing less altitude due to forward movement, so I get the concept behind it and have experienced it with the jump from 5000. I just wanna know if I have to experience it again from 3500 or not. :)
-syn
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain
a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty
nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

I'll add one thing, subterminal deployments are cool.
I found myself watching my canopy open for the first time on a hop and pop. Also another tidbit, I was also told by a master rigger to make the first jump on a new canopy subterminal to set the lines. I have about 30 hop-n-pops so far and have no fear of being able to exit stable and pull which I believe is the whole point of the hop-n-pop exercise. I'm sure after you do one you'll be liking it.

blue skies

Jerry

A wekll trained student should not even have to "look" for the rserve handle. He should instinctively KNOW where it is. No excuses

Bill Cole D-41

But Bill, what about reserves procedures like "look, pull, punch".:P Remember that.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I will be doing my 3,500 and 5,500 jumps soon. I am a tad nervous due to the proximity to GL. Any suggestions, words of wisdom? It's a hell of a lot lower than the 13.5 AGL I am used to.

What altitude do you pull at when you jump from 13.5K???? Around 3K?? You will be pulling at the same altitude that you normally do. Sure subterminal, hell a softer opening. Enjoy it. the air is the same and if you get a little Ground rush enjoy it!

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

A wekll trained student should not even have to "look" for the rserve handle. He should instinctively KNOW where it is. No excuses

Bill Cole D-41

I didn't say anything about a reserve handle. I was implying that main activation probably would have been a ripcord.

I know where my reserve handle is. I also know that it moves around a lot. If (when?) I cutaway, I'm looking for my reserve handle.

Look right grip right, look left, grip left, peel punch right, peel punch left.
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

I wouldn't get so stressed out about it... thousands of static line trainees do their first few jumps at 3500 or lower.
I totally agree with the guy who said to watch the plane as you do it... its really cool the first time you see the plane just float away. B|

MB 3528, RB 1182

"But... Have you ever REALLY taken a good look at the Plane!!???? upon exit??"

Plane? Oh yeah, next time I should notice that. Up until recently, I have been like "Alright, arch, arch, where's the ground..wait, why am I staring at the sky..this isn't right."

Confuscious say: "It take many nail to make a baby crib...but only one screw to fill it."

You won't believe it untill you do it but you do fall very slow when you first exit the plane. From 5,000 you have a full 15+ seconds before you hit 3,500. The idea of a Hn'P is to get stabel fast and delpoy. But don't worry if you can't do fast slow is okay you do have time.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP