frankiebrina

Smoke Sticks

Firstly, you should really talk to a Pro-rated jumper on the proper use and care when jumping with smoke. Also, as I understand, the smoke gets all over your gear and most dedicated pro-jumpers have specific gear they jump when using smoke, to keep it from tearing up their gear.

Secondly, I do believe that Para-Gear would have what you need.:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

stupid question but... pro-rated jumper??

I hate to be obvious but there is no such thing as a "stupid question" only uniformed people.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

so here in the US if you want to do a demo jump, you must be pro rated??

Yes and no. Depends on the demo. Check your SIM for all the long details.

But must you be pro-rated to jump with smoke stick

Nope.

Can you just go to the dropzone with a smoke stick and jump and thats that??

Yes and no.

You need to talk to the S&TA, possibly the DZO (since its his/her facilities/plane) and the pilot at the very least.

Your profile doesn't say how many jumps you have, so I'm just going to toss this out there (please forgive me if this doesn't apply).

You really need a decent amount of experience to start adding things to your skydives such as smoke, hoops, tubes, etc. Especially the things that can catch on fire, such as jumping with smoke. There are a good number of precations that need to be taken and emergancy procedures that need to be practiced and understood before doing those things.

Skydiving is already very dangerous, people should have a decent amount of experience and a good amount of training before adding something else that will do nothing else but possibly hurt or kill them.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

You do not have to have a PRO rating to do demo jumps under many conditions. You do not have to have a PRO rating to jump with smoke.

You might want to clear the jump with the A/C owner since smoke grenades take a lot of care in use.

It is not likely that you can get the information about the use of smoke cannisters here. You will need to see the bracket and look at how the quick release works. You will also need to look at the can and possibly fire one on the ground to see exactly what it does. I have never had a satisfactory experience with commercial smoke. It is too thin to leave much of a trail, The only one I know works well is the one used by the military.

Ed

so here in the US if you want to do a demo jump, you must be pro rated??

But must you be pro-rated to jump with smoke stick.
Can you just go to the dropzone with a smoke stick and jump and thats that??

I would like information about smoke sticks. Are they OK to be used. Are there any rules on there use?? How to be used?? Where to get them?? How to adapt them to your leg. How not to get burned.
thanks

Hey frankiebrina,
You can find tons of information about jumping smoke at the following links:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=347152
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=286963
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=188565
As soon as I saw my first video featuring smoke, I knew it was something I wanted to do. But from reading those threads, it is clear that there is a LOT that can go wrong from jumping smoke, the very least of which are a permanently stained rig/jumpsuit/canopy, serious burns to your body, and holes in the canopy. I'm about as green as green gets in this sport, and I'll be putting smoke off for a long while.[:/]
--Will

Military smoke is very hard on a rig. The slag from the canister often burns the bottom of your container and flies up into your canopy if it is still burning when you open. The Canadian "cold" smoke is much easier on equipment, but not as spectacular as the military variety. If you are going to jump "hot" smoke, you had damn well better get/make you a decent bracket with a quick release. Your best source of info on smoke is a PRO rated skydiver. Don't go out and half-ass any attempt at bracket making or you will probably regret it.

Chuck Blue
D-12501, PRO

The only one I know works well is the one used by the military.

Ed

I have a few of those military canisters lying around.. Don't they get really hot?

I think that Marine smoke is about as thick as military smoke though... still... hot hot hot

I travel the land, Work in the ocean, Play in the sky

M-18 smoke grenades get very hot. Brackets need to either be insulated or have an air gap. Best worn over a leather boot. These will spit slag, embers, etc that can and do stain and burn holes in containers and canopies. They still produce the best smoke that I've seen. They also now are worth upwards of $100! Many people see spent ones on ebay for $20-$40. The days of the reserves bringing back extras from manuvers are kind of over. I while ago there were a lot of east german smoke grenades on the gun show market. They were cheap, and work fairly good for skydiving. Still hot. Haven't seen any lately so I hoard my stash.;)
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Hoarding them for special occasions.B| Actually, if I used any for a demo I'd probably use Paragear smokes. Jumping smoke isn't something to do just for fun. And these days I ususally jump them tethered under canopy rather than freefall. But I do need to make a couple of bracets.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Hoarding them for special occasions.B| Actually, if I used any for a demo I'd probably use Paragear smokes. Jumping smoke isn't something to do just for fun. And these days I ususally jump them tethered under canopy rather than freefall. But I do need to make a couple of bracets.

In my Avatair I'm burning Red, White & Blue...
I go through anywhere between 60-100 M18's an air show season...
M18's HAVE gone up considerably in the past few years,
but I've never seen them at 100.00 a unit.

The general going rate is about 1/2 that depending on quantify.

Be aware...
Since the new Homeland Security Act was put in place,
it's now a FEDERAL offense to transport and use pyrotechnics
of the class / type M18's are classified in, without a
federal pyrotechnics license.

The Professional Team I jump with has completed most of the
testing phase, and will soon be marketing an alternate smoke
for demonstration applications.
The colors are more vibrant and the burn time and volume are
considerably more than military M18's.
Currently I believe we will be looking at about 50-55.00 a unit.
And they will only be available to qualified individuals.

*They are not yet available for retail sales,
I'll keep anyone interested posted
once all the T's are crossed and we have everything in order as far as the Feds are concerned.

Website still under construction...
www.libertyteam.com/PyroGlo.html

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

You want to just have som fun making trails in the sky?
Go buy some bags of flour, that right plain old flour, 5lbs bags are about right.
It doesn't last long but its something fun to do and watch when bored. Just take the bag into freefall with you and tear the top off, instant smoke/flour:P. The spectators on the ground usually get a good laugh when the jumper lands cause you can get a face full of flour if your not careful:D

I tell ya.... The things skydivers do when their bored:).

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

But I do need to make a couple of bracets.

Hummm...!
I just happen to know some people
marketing brackets.... :$

Sparky liked them! :P

I have seen the ones Jim makes and would not hesitate to jump them. One of the best I have seen in 25 years doing demos.
Sparky

(Is that what I was suppose to say?):) (only kidding)
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I have seen the ones Jim makes and would not hesitate to jump them. One of the best I have seen in 25 years doing demos.
Sparky

(Is that what I was suppose to say?) (only kidding)

Come on...

I saw ya get 'wood' when I pulled them out
at Kitty Hawk...:P:P:P

Brooks looked a bit confused... [:/]

But YOU knew what ya were lookin' at!!! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

It really depends on the color of the smoke. I jump white skydiver smoke on DEMOs and it does not stain anything. Now, the Red smoke is a different story.

Speeking of smoke:

Dave,
So when is there going to be another big weekend at SD Aggieland? I have some smoke that is geting kind of old and I want to see if it still works.

Clint D-24352