Tigrikit

Newbie jumping elliptical

I wish you luck. I agree that if you own it you will jump it sooner rather than later. (It will call to you in your sleep, trust me...)
That being said, I think we should stop wasting time on this thread, it has all been said.

Oh, and if the ground comes rushing at you from the corner of your eye, you may as well flare because the impact is gonna drive your arms down anyway and you just might get lucky.

Blue Skies and safe decisions,
Robin
"... this ain't a Nerf world."

He is nearing his 100th jump. He is not lightweight! About 190 lbs if I calculate right :)
And yes he ordered a 120 Katana.

His plan is just "to have it handy" until he has enough experience, but I don't think he will resist the temptation for long once he's got it.

He tells me he'd open high and land straightly... and he doesn't listen to advice, or rather he does but sort of sheds it with a shrug. He nearly died five years ago when he fell from a 5 store building after that he thinks he is living on borrowed time

it's complex and doesn't make much sense, i know

Been there done that with a more experienced person with this same type of thought process.

We took him on his last jump last September. Slow arching turn too low to the ground - not even an abrupt crank - just too low. Sigh - tell him how you feel about him now, so when he's gone, you can be at peace with that at least.

Pam

Well, your comparisson is somewhere along the lines of trying to buy a Ferrari and you are 14 years old.....With the keys at hand.

Are you trying to sell us the idea you are not going to feel tempted? Why would you spend that money in something you are not using, buy a camera, or another rig you could use instead....or more jumps so you could reach 200 jumps in a month, and try birdman....

Just my 2 cts.
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

And do me a favor....

Cut and paste this:

Please send my canopy to:
Ron
c/o Skydive City
4241 Skydive Ln.
Zephyrhills FL.

That way when you do jump it...and you DO hammer in and die...I get a new canopy!!!

(My Dad always said to try and look for the bright side of things)

Thanks!!!!

And I still think this is a troll.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Just for interest, there's an article by Pete Allum in Skydive Mag reviewing the Katana. He was loading the 107 at 1.63:1

Some choice pieces are:
"It shares many characteristics with the family of crossbraced canopies; high speed dives and long swoops."

he rated it as completely unsuitable for Novices and Intermediate skydivers.

and "I have been jumping 90-96 sqft crossbraced canopies for the last 2500 jumps and prior to that I spent 6000 jumps on a stiletto 120... [snip] ..This parachute is not for the faint of heart at mid to high wing loadings."

Will

Dude listen to all the reasons post in here…. It does not make any sense buy that canopy just to keep it by the time you have the experience to fly that thing Katana 2 will probably be in the market, keep your money buy a canopy you can jump and enjoy, gain some experience with it and then make the next step, don’t rush things, really you might get kill.

I would agree with a semi-elliptical canopy lightly loaded then elliptical before you even start down sizing I have a crossfire 159 and I haven’t yet done all the things I could do with this canopy, highly loaded or not a elliptical is not something to play with if you don’t have the experience, I seen people getting hurt with straight in approaches.

Just listen the voices around you not just in your head.
;)
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

He tells me he'd open high and land straightly... and he doesn't listen to advice, or rather he does but sort of sheds it with a shrug. He nearly died five years ago when he fell from a 5 store building after that he thinks he is living on borrowed time

Not to be insensitive, but he is a accident waiting to happen. I hope he lives to tell the tale.

And yes he ordered a 120 Katana.

Who sold him the Katana?
Dom

I think this is a troll...he isn't even responding to any of these posts.

Maybe he feels that he's made his point (right or wrong) and doesn't feel the need to continue going back and forth, repeating the same words over and over.

Personal attack deleted. Cut it out.

If you're gonna' be stupid, well, then you're most likely stupid.

please forgive me, because this kinda crap brings out the worst in me, but.....

>:( you are being a damn fool! >:(

RIGHT ON!! >:(

Listen to me dude, take your time, you'll live longer that way. I jumped a 215 (YES A 215) until my 100th jump. You're gonna kill yourself.

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

I've been jumping a safire 2 190 and I'm coming up on 200 jumps. I also weigh about 190 pounds. I'm learning so many things on this canopy and... most importantly... I have now made a mistake on this canopy. My mistake left two ditches in the ground and I was very lucky to walk away.

If I had been under that Katana I ABSOLUTELY would not have walked away.

I'm not trying to sound too arrogant here, but I've been on a real aggressive learning curve... and handling it well. This mistake was the strongest reality check I've ever had.

I don't care who you are or how good you're doing so far. Until you have alot more jumps you don't even realise how much more you have to learn. I'm just nowbecoming aware of my lack of awareness!

Stay off that canopy.

Chaps

This better not be a troll! I hate highlighting my mistakes!
Carpe diem

The fact that you're asking and making these points just demonstrates that you're not even in the right mindset, let alone have the technical competency to fly something like that. [:/]

I can understand why somebody in Russia might want to buy something right away if you've got the money to do it now. Your country has had so many political and economic ups and downs over the last dozen years that you may feel motivated to make a purchase like this in a way that westerners can't quite understand.

But that said, and human nature being what it is, I doubt you will withstand the temptation to jump it. I've just returned to the sport after a very long layoff and I'm loading a Spectre canopy at 1.29, which for my size and current experience (forty some jumps since my return) is making me fly this so called "conservative" canopy very carefully. It's a lot of fun, but it flies fast enough that it could really hurt me if I screw up. I can't imagine jumping an elliptical of any kind at a 1.9 loading, and I have over 600 jumps total.

I can only hope that your instructors and drop zone won't LET you jump this canopy. Maybe it would be a good idea to lend your Katana to your instructor and tell HIM to be very careful with it, so he can figure it out and pass his knowledge on to you, WHEN he believes you're ready.

Something to think about is the actual cause of death in most canopy crashes. It's the same kind of fatal injury you'd get from impacting your steering wheel in a car crash. The aorta rips loose from your heart and you helplessly bleed to death in a few short minutes, beyond anyone's ability to help you. Don't do it Igor; not to yourself, not to your girlfriend, your family, your friends, or the image of your sport.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Well yes there are many articles out there.

Here is a piece of my mind.
First I would like to say that I am not in ANY WAY agreeing to this russian guy jumping this canopy.

What I would like to say is that it's not always about number of jumps. I know 100 is quite slim but.... I have friends with over 800 jumps that would seriously be putting themselves in danger if they jumped a small canopy. They just never got around to having interest in it. One of these friends recently had a reserve ride and had a bad landing because he came in a little faster then his usual canopy and just got scared.
In the same hand I have friends with 300-400 jumps witch for the last 200-300 jumps has always tried to put his or her canopy to the limit doing flat turns, front riser approaches, even 90 degree riser approach. I would without a doubt say that these last friends mentioned actually would handle a smaller canopy much more efficiently.

One more thing.....
Some people learn faster then others. Everyone is different. Judgment in potentially dangerous situations is the same.

And yes I'm too in the 300-400 jump range and I fly a Square Sabre and I plan to demo the katana and the crossfire2 to be my next canopy.

And yes U$ 500 for a logo is ridiculous!!!:S