Tigrikit

Newbie jumping elliptical

It must be the pretty colours he loves as no one actaully knows how it flys yet. There have been little or no reviews and the canopy was only opened up to the public a couple of weeks ago.

I can't believe anyone knows anything concrete about it in russia. Get your rigger to colour in something square for you and jump that. You'll look just as pretty and we'll all still want to be you.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't PD coming out with larger sizes for the Katana in the near future? If you're determined to order a Katana, why not wait a little while and get one that you might actually be able to fly in the next five years? I've known quite a few people that buy a new "toy", whether it be canopy or camera or whatever, saying they're gonna wait til they're ready to jump it. Never seen one wait more than a month yet. I just get a feeling we'll be reading about this one in the incidents forum, first incident with a Katana in Russia.

I echo the sentiments....hope you don't die.

Blues,
Nathan
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

You most land directly into the wind

No, No, No, No, No!!!

It's exactly that kind of statement that breeds, in students, this overwhelming desire to land into the wind at any cost. First and foremost, wings level above all else.

I know you didn't mean it the way it sounded, but while a little off topic, but it needed addressing.

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

all in all, 1.4 and 1.6 is not sooo different... only 0.2 difference

I can tell the difference between the two...And trust me there is one.

I just lost 16 pounds...I can tell under canopy.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

all in all, 1.4 and 1.6 is not sooo different... only 0.2 difference

I can tell the difference between the two...And trust me there is one.

I just lost 16 pounds...I can tell under canopy.

At around jump #400 I was jumping a stiletto loaded at 1.26. Then I jumped it with 10 lbs of lead. On this jump I also had a bad spot and had to land out. Boy, did I notice a difference between 1.25 and 1.34!

But I think the post about 0.2 being small was not meant seriously.

He is nearing his 100th jump. He is not lightweight! About 190 lbs if I calculate right :)
And yes he ordered a 120 Katana.

His plan is just "to have it handy" until he has enough experience, but I don't think he will resist the temptation for long once he's got it.

He tells me he'd open high and land straightly... and he doesn't listen to advice, or rather he does but sort of sheds it with a shrug. He nearly died five years ago when he fell from a 5 store building after that he thinks he is living on borrowed time

Too much money and not enough brains...
If he insist on maintaining this course he will be come a statistic, he will be a danger to others and he will be a liability to a DZ.
I personally don't mind if someone wants to possibly hurt or kill themselves but they have to do it without affecting other folks.

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

Why not wait until the Katana 150 is released?
That way you can jump it instead of waiting until you are "ready".

Secondly, your infatuation with the Katana is simply due to that cool Japanese sybol on the canopy.

It is marketed for people who have already spent time on a high performance eliptical like the Stilleto or Crossfire2.

Ask PD if they will paint that chessy Katana logo on a Sabre2 170. That would be perfect!!!!! You'll be jumping a safe canopy and you will look cool!!!

LMAO!!!! Yeah, I think the marketing hype has got us newbies thinking that it is the greatest thing around. All of the skygod's drooling over it probably didn't help too much either.

<--- smart, and staying on a 1.1 sabre2

Personally I think the little symbol and name is kinda cheeseball, then again I'm all about solid colors and understatement when it comes to canopies (looks)

Never go to a DZ strip show.

Do you know what is really cheeseball? I've heard they charge an EXTRA 500$ for the logo in the canopy!!!

Definitely worth it right? :S

Shit, that's like 30 jump tickets, for a f#@ing logo?? Are you kidding me, what is it gonna make me swoop better?

Never go to a DZ strip show.

>What problems could be possibly anticipated, if he jumped it very
>conventionally at 1:1.6?

Just so you know - _every_single_jumper_ ever who jumped a HP canopy too soon said they would be very conservative on it. A lot of them are now dead or grounded from their injuries. The problem is not that they will suddenly decide to hook turn, the problem is that someone will cut them off and they will be faced with the choice of colliding at a very high speed or doing a toggle turn into the ground from 100 feet - both potentially fatal. If he can flat turn away he might well survive, but until you have trained to do that on a 1.2 to 1 canopy and a 1.4 to 1 canopy you can't do it on a 1.6 to 1 canopy.

And if he buys it he will jump it. How do I know? Because I've done the same and I've seen many other people do the same. The process goes something like this:

"Wow! Cool canopy! I'll wait until I have enough experience before I jump it."

"I really want to jump it; I'll wait until conditions are absolutely perfect, then just put one jump on it. How dangerous can that be? Joe Swoop has a 2.2 to 1; this is only 1.6 to 1."

"That one jump was awesome! Conditions are still good; I'll make one more jump on it."

"Conditions are pretty good this morning, and I wouldn't make the first load if I had to swap mains, and I do have two jumps on it that were perfect . . ."

"What do you mean, I shouldn't jump it? I've stood it up every single time!"

Yea! All that stuff that all the more experienced people said PLUS I haven't seen anyone mention how this canopy opens. Afterall, the Katana is truly elipitical. How can you expect to have a clue about flying an opening??? At 100 jumps, when you deploy, all you do is through out your hackey. At this time in your skydiving career, do you think you have any idea how to lean one way or another in the harness or steer the risers to keep from spinning up into a ball of shit??? I may just be talking out of my ass because I have no idea the nature of this canopy during deployment but I only have 260 jumps and my SO has a Jedei 150 (not a canopy to compare to the Katana but still eliptical) and he's jokingly ask me if I wanted to jump it and I reply with "When I deploy, I don't want to think that hard about being in the right body position or sterring anything. I just want a nice, square, steerable and landable canopy" In my opinion, at 100 jumps, that's ALL you should be wanting!

you know, for that extra $500 that will make a cool blanket for his hospital bed, or drapped over his casket[:/]

Precision told me the Xaos logo was like $1100. more on mine and would increse the pack volume considerably.

If he's still hell bent on jumping this, I vote we go ahead and move it to incidents early.[:/]