Tigrikit

Newbie jumping elliptical

That's like buying a Ferrari and saying you won't drive it for a few years....

Put the money in a CD or something, save it, put it somewhere you can't spend it. But the time you're ready to jump something so fast, there may be something better on the market. At a minimal, they will have made changes to the Katana. Every object that comes out new and improved is always going to be improved on again. I have not jumped a Katana, and I'm sure it's a great canopy, but it will change, and it will be made to be better, buy one when you're ready.

Ganja

Yes, I have been accused of being harsh and dierect before. I typically say it like it is. I do seem to have to eat alot of shoes for some reason...lol I think anyone who knows me will attest to my being TOO honest about things sometimes.

Ganja "Sometimes the truth hurts" Rodriguez

If you have never jumped a Katana
and
you don't intend to jump one for quite some time
why
buy one now?

By the time you have the experience to jump a wing load of 1.6 to 1 you might also have enough experience to choose a different canopy.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with the Katana, it's just that you may decide another canopy is your dream canopy.

If it's prestige ( I have the 1st Katana in Russia) it seems an awful lot of money to pay for something that stays in a display cabinet for a few years.

I am. Not. Going. To jump. It. Until Dima (my instructor) tells me I can.

So you're going to stuff it away in a drawer somewhere for the next 2 years??

The fact that you're asking and making these points just demonstrates that you're not even in the right mindset, let alone have the technical competency to fly something like that. [:/]

That might sound a little harsh, but it's how you're coming over. Care to prove that wrong? ;)

Enthusiasm is great, but don't get carried away! :)
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

So, you are not going to jump it for a while? Then like Scott said - wait! They will make changes to the canopy and also release it in larger sizes....and you will have more jumps then!

Also, it is not wise to change canopy types, canopy sizes or WL when you are not current, or if it doesn't look like you will not be current for a while. IT will take you a while just to dial your canopy back in, let alone something you have never jumped before.

Everything is working against you on this, and for some reason, no one seems to think this is a good idea. Wonder why? Think.

It's more of a love thing. Call me obsessed? :)

if you insist.
You're obsessed :)
Even if I believe you will wait until you have the experience to jump your Katana, I still think it silly to buy a canopy where you need hundreds or more jumps before you can jump it.

Maybe you are just stinkin rich and money does not matter that much.;)

I am. Not. Going. To jump. It. Until Dima (my instructor) tells me I can.

Right....And I never pull low. If you don't plan on jumping it....Why buy it?

You plan on waiting 400 more jumps to jump it? You ahve been jumping one year and have 100 jumps....So in 400 more jumps and 4 years you will then pull it out of the bag?

Makes no sense to me...By the time you are ready to jump that canopy....It will be an old design.

But why for the hell of it I can't just possess it, I can not reason. Besides, I think it'll be the first, or one of the very few, Katana in Russia

Agin why own it if it will:
A. Kill you.
B. Be outdated before you can safley jump it...

Im done here. I STILL think you are trolling.

You will not listen, so feel free to do as you want...But you so fit into the risk profile.

I hope you don't die....But I'd bet you will.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

A 1.6 wingloading IS NOT a conservative loading by any standards!!

I've jumped a Stiletto 135 @ 1.35 from jump 400-600 and then a Vengeance 107 from 600-650. Now I just got my Katana 107 at 1.77 WL. I'm telling you that a A-license graduate does not have ANY business at all jumping a Katana at 1.6. I consider my own wingloading 1.77 at 650 jumps to be to the aggressive side. The Katana is not an elliptical starter canopy at 1.6 wingloading. I am glad I put my time in on a larger Stiletto, and then a Vengeance 107 before starting on the Katana. From what I've heard the Katana is a step up in performance from both of them!! (Haven't had the chance to try it yet!)

If the Katana is your first elliptical, they recommend a LIGHT wingloading. A 1.6 loading is not light, nor conservative as you say.

Furthermore I think that if you can't jump a lot or regularly, he should have a really docile and larger canopy. Flying an elliptical at 1.6 loading, requires that you stay current in your skills. Or it will bite!!!

An interesting piece of information might be, that in Sweden you aren't allowed to jump at higher than 1.4 with less than 500 jumps. Do you think there is a reason for those rules? I can tell you there are reasons, and all of them are writen in blood.

My advice to you would be to stay on the rental for a few hundred jumps!!

Edited to change from 3:rd to 1:st person after reading the whole thread.

If you seriously plan to just sit on it for quite a while, well, that's just poor investing! I'd recommend to try selling it for more than you paid the second it arrives. Put the money in a bank. Don't touch it. When you're ready to jump a canopy like that, go buy a katana2. :)
Dave

Dude, you weigh the same as me, have 4,000 fewer jumps than me and want to buy a canopy faster and twitchier that the canopy that currently scares me.
What are you thinking dude?
For comparison, last autumn I started jumping a Stiletto 135. I only have dozen or so jumps on my Stiletto and it still scares me. I will need at least a year and 200 more jumps before contemplating anything much smaller than my Stiletto 135 and at least a hundred jumps on a Stiletto 120 before trying a Katana 120.

Before anyone starts flaming me about my canopy choices, remember that my jump total includes 2,700 tandem jumps.

all in all, 1.4 and 1.6 is not sooo different... only 0.2 difference :S:P:o

I get your irony! :)
BUT!

I thought he was at a 1.1 loading, not that it matters. If he is going from 1.1 or 1.4 is beside the point. I think even a 1.4 is TOO high!

At that low level of experience both going down in size and up in performance level in one stroke is a bad idea mildly put.

it's not me... i'm jumping a saphire2 139 loaded at approx 1.2. Would love a higher wingloading and a faster canopy. BUT... I want to do all this for a long time. Already had a close call. Don't want a second one.
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

At that low level of experience both going down in size and up in performance level in one stroke is a bad idea mildly put.

and such a difference in wingloading and performance...
oh yeah, he has a jump or 2 on a Xfire2 169. That's an intermediate step [:/]
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

It's more of a love thing. Call me obsessed? :)

Still think this is a Troll. But if not;
I think when you can start being current enough to do 300+ jumps a year you may consider downsizing to eventually get to that W/L. At about 300+ jumps I was near that W/L on a Crossfire but I was in the 300+ jumps a year mode and was still over my head. I was lucky enough to never find myself in a bad situation where I very easily could have been broken up bad. This is a VERY bad decision and you will not let it sit there until you ARE ready! If you are bound and determined to go elliptical get something in a size that you can learn on soon, not a few years down the road.

Sounds like an accident waiting to happen. :S Listen to the experienced people on this forum, they've seen stuff like this before. :o Hell they're probably still waiting for me to crater and I didn't jump an elliptical canopy until jump #401.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Without knowing the facts about this guy I will say this.His first 2 jumps should be alone and pulling high(5,000 or higher).Simple test pilot cks of front and back 360 risor turns and the alti lost.Serious on heading into the wind turns.Stall ck,brake 360 turns and stop above 2,500.Can play if spot is good down to 1,000 ft.Begin final landing pattern set up and "No" mistakes.(hook turns,radical toggle turns at or below 100ft.)
You most land directly into the wind and have a safe landing before you can go jump this neat new toy again.