Fallosophy

WARNING noob question

Oh I can answer this one as a newbie. . .yay. . .

It is when a group skydive exit falls apart on its way out the door. . .at least that is my understanding. .

Or any time a group skydive falls apart. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

Take a large bucket of water. Float a whole bunch of plastic skydivers on top. Pull the huge plug out of the center of the bucket's bottom. See how everyone gets drawn in and on top of each other and they drain down in a funnel shape.

In a real dive, this is what might happen when someone gets below the formation and takes the airflow away from those on top. In big ways, it can get pretty dramatic.

When newbies freefly, this is the natural state of the dive :)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Forget the question! Thanks for posting that vid!
What a treat to watch midday in my office...at least it's Friday. No jumping for me this weekend though, going boarding in Vail next week, need to save coin and don't need any tweeked body parts. Again, great vid!

ok, what is a "funnel" situation. I know its not a good thing.

when someone either gets directly above the formation or directly below it. the person either pulls the formation into their burble, or they fall into the formations burble. either way, you usually get the domino effect and everyone flops together and the formation goes to sh*t.

I've actually been in a 4way that funneled 3 times on one jump. and I someone avoided being in each funnel :D:D

MB 3528, RB 1182

B|

ok, what is a "funnel" situation. I know its not a good thing.

it's what happens when I'm in an exit
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

When the formation has funneled, and people are in each other's burbles, is it possible that the bottom people couldnt pull cuz of ppl above them? Is that a possible situation? Should they go low, or pull?

when a formation has funneled and you're near breakoff altitude...you just normally release and track away and pull. (the rules are different for big-ways...)
As soon as you let go, you get stable and can get clear and pull...

wanna see a funnelled exit? here you go...heh..
funnelled 5-way attempted horny gorilla

--------------------------------------------
Elfanie
My Skydiving Page
Fly Safe - Soft Landings

I wondered where all the hits to that video were coming from...

That was more of an intentional funnel but thats a small thing. Funnels can be fun if its just a 4 way, but in larger ways they can get DANGEROUS in a hurry with bodys being tossed every where.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

That was more of an intentional funnel but thats a small thing. Funnels can be fun if its just a 4 way, but in larger ways they can get DANGEROUS in a hurry with bodys being tossed every where.

Not to be a wet blanket, but even a 4-way funnel can have repercussions. A little over a year and a half ago, my left shoulder was dislocated when a 4-way funneled and the guy who had my left grip didn't release me right away. I ended up having to ground myself for 7 weeks, and then for an additional 8 weeks after I reinjured it again.
Funnels are kinda' fun, but don't hang on when it happens. And keep drinking orange juice. Carbs are good!

Stay safe,
Mike

If you're gonna' be stupid, well, then you're most likely stupid.

A funnel is when a skydiver gets jumping confused with bowling and thinks of him/herself as the ball and a formation of jumpers as the pins... Skydiving and bowling do not mix, nor should they. Ever.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

No problem... knowing that people actually like the stuff I do makes it worth the time I put into making it. I also like to get feedback and expecially criticism on my videos so feel free to tell me exactly what you like/don't like in them.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I've seen most of your vids, and cannot think of anything negative, or something that can be considered criticism. You cover a lot of the wild exits/jumps, RW, FF, canopy control, swooping, landing, etc. I think they have the perfect mix and are some of the best videos I have seen.

Keep it up.

Actually, you should all be asking Stacy about funnels. She's the master considering she took out the entire Golden Knights 8-way team a year or so back.>:(

A feat like that takes pure skill, perseverance, and dedication.B|
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™