mdwhalen

True story

Two summers ago a Level 2 AFF student showed up at our drop zone with his girl friend. A typical summer day in Florida with scattered showers but a good size hole opened up and we geared up and went skydiving. On our ride up apparently the winds did a 180 (thats my story and I'm sticking to it) and we ended up opening off the airport over a stand of 40 ft tall pines. The other instructor and I made it back to a clear cut area but the student ended up about 3/4 the way up one of the tallest pines in the bunch.

I dropped my gear and ran to the tree to make sure he stayed put while we called for fire/rescue to assist. It started raining, of course, so I passed the time assuring him help was on the way and talking to him about his girl friend and things. He told me must not be his day, in fact. he had gotten a speeding ticket on the way to the dropzone.

After about two hours (he was pretty deep in the woods) fire/rescue arrived and lowered him the ground, he thought his troubles were over. They weren't.

We got back to the dropzone and were met with the bad news that someone had backed into his truck ripping off the fender. But at least his girlfriend was doing fine. In fact, she was doing so fine that she and one of the other male instructors decided to go have a drink. I guess for her it was a kind of liberation celebration, since she announced to everybody there after we boarded the plane that she had already decided to break up with the guy, he just didn't know it yet. In any event she was gone when my poor student got back.

He never come back for his Level 3. Go figure.
"I have magic buttons ;)." skymama

Holy smokes, Michael. I remember that. I also remember a whole search party of folks cutting through thick brush (with poison ivy!) slugging through the muck of the swamps trying to find you guys. And you say it started raining... well, we were also concerned because there was thunder and lightning in the distance; we were afraid that your student might get zapped.

I got one for you, too. Today, a couple shows up to do tandems at the drop zone where I'm jumping now - Skydive San Diego. This guy is worried sick - literally - when he shows up, because he's secretly planning on proposing to his girlfriend when they land. I wasn't ont the load, but those who were tell me he asks her to marry her just before he and his tandem master jumped. He lands first with his tandem master and power pukes his lunch out. Still green in the face, after being released from the rig, he sprints to manifest where they're holding the ring. He grabs the ring, grabs a bottle of water, rinses his mouth out and runs back out into the landing area - and power pukes again. Just then, his girlfriend lands and he drops to a knee holding the ring up to her. God Bless her - she says yes, and her boyfriend, now fiancee, kisses her deeply.

Ewwwwwww.

How's that one for ya'?

Bobby