LilSal

Jumpsuits

USED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

You are still learning and will have some sliding landings. More than an experienced jumper.

No need to spend the money on a new suit that will get all worn out more quickly.

Get on the classifieds here and elsewhere. Call Ralph. Goto the DZ. Heck they may even have an old student suit.

Best of luck. :)
Laters,

The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES

I recommend a very basic RW suit for a first suit. Used if you can find one that fits and is cut right for your fall rate; new if you can't find used, don't mind spending the money and don't mind waiting for delivery.

By "basic" RW suit I mean a suit with arm and leg grippers and maybe knee and butt reinforcement. imho booties are not a requirement (but they're good to have if you can throw the extra cash at them; if you get real into RW you will want them later).

You can learn basic freeflying in street clothes (baggy long sleeve shirt and sweats work). You can't really learn belly flying without an RW suit.

Which manufacturer is a personal choice. I think every manufacturer out there does a decent job on suits. I don't think it's ever a bad idea to buy the same "brand" suit as the majority of jumpers on your dz jump.

Which suit from the manufacturer you choose depends on your size and fallrate. There are suit designs for body types ranging from featherbutt to bowling balls.

I also think it's a good idea to order jumpsuits "face to face" instead of over the phone or internet. Find someone who is a dealer for the manufacturer you choose and have them help you fill out the order form. Most importantly, regardless of who you order from and how, have someone else take your measurements! It's nearly impossible to get correct body measurements by yourself.

Great advice, I'll 2nd that. Type was the key word here not brand or new/used. I of course being a beginner as well, had to purchase a new suit because of my stature. 6'1" and 230lbs. Got a great RW Suit, arm, leg, and inside grippers, and yes those damm fantastic booties. Man do they spell speed! Small inside pocket for a couple of dollars for jump money and beer. Wont mention a brand as most favor one brand or another. They are all good if you have the cash. Just some stand behind their product better than others. Ask around. Blue Ones
So, you bring your beer?

Its 5 o'clock somewhere
POPS #9344

Thinking about getting myself a jumpsuit. Just wondering what type you should buy when your starting out? Any help?

One thing I would highly recomend is to consult with an instructor or coach about your fall rate and buy a jumpsuit that is either "fast' or "slow" based on your needs. Typically if you are big and heavy you will need a baggy suit to slow you down. If you are small and light you will need a tight slick suit to speed you up. This is more important than anything else. My best friend bought a suit that is too slick and tight and he is falling much faster than everyone he jumps with even when he is dearched. So he is looking at having to buy another looser jumpsuit.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Yea, I used the DZ's suits for a long time, then got some freefly pants last summer, ended up "falling like a rock" some told me. :)
Just got my 1st freefly suit (Michigan Suits - can't say enough good things about this suit) and all is better now.

PcCoder.net

Just purchased a Bev Hot Bod RW suit. . .not here yet but I purchased it used. . .IMHO it makes sense to try to find a used one for the first suit because you may end up liking one brand over another or one style over another. . .Skymama hit the head on the nail for advice in this area. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

i second kramer. USED. Jumpsuits are NOT cheap (even very basic ones) and as you progress through demoing gear, student gear, and finally your own, you'll prolly have some creative landings. Who wants to spend 250$ and then get it messed up on day 1?

I bought my first suit off the reject rack at square3 (Cross Keys). 20$. I learned a lot on it. THEN i eventually ordered my own suit with all the bells and whistles a hundred or so jumps later. When yo order a custom suit you are going to want every little extra on it, since it is *yours.* Don't do that for a first suit. For RW all you need are arm grips and leg grips (preferably not those little pencil sized ones) and if you prefer booties, something that makes you fall appropriately with others. Check out the classifieds. :)
__

I recommend the body-suit, or otherwise known as the "birthday-suit" . Although not appropriate for all occasions and can tend to distract other team members, the birthday - suit has some advantages:

1.) Its wash and wear
2.) It 'goes' with everything
3.) Grippers and booties are preferable - and fun
4.) one-piece/two-piece... its gender preference
5.) nobody remebers colors anyway... everybody remembers skin-tone!!
6.) you don't have to buy another one

....Besides, you're just starting out, right? Consider it a re-birth kinda, we all started out in, "birthday-suits"

(someone else can post the 'dis-advantages' to the birthday-suit)

--
I'm done with the personally meaningful and philosophical sigs!!

I agree, as a newbie I went with RW suit on the suggestion of my instructor/DZO. She said the same thing Bytch said. Also, because she has jumped with me and knows all about my fast fall rate (bowling ball HA I love it, Bytch!) she knew exactly what I needed to help slow me down. The result was a suit that fit well and helped slow me down. Plus she helped me pick out durable material because we as newbies do spend a lot of time on our knees and asses. (That sounds bad:S). Reinforced butts and knees are a must.

If you can afford it, get the booties, they really do help with turns and forward motion. They helped me become more leg aware, as well, because I could feel where my toes were. Can't explain why except that it was the difference between my feet being on a platform or dangling off a barstool.

I went with Bev because that is what most of the jumpers I jump with wear. Also,