tkhayes

Parts of Florida Shut Down

Areeas of Florida skydiving (and General Aviation) have been shut down for part of today and tomorrow. An FAA NOTAM issued on the 12th says the President is coming to visit Daytona and Tampa. Oddly enough, he is supposed to be talking about the economy in Tampa, but pretty much all aviation traffic (GA especially) has been closed withint a 30NM radius of the Tampa area.

I think this is ridiculous, paranoid and practically delusional. How do we fix it? Email the president please, and tell him that GA businesses rely on airspace to make a living. GA did NOT cause any terrorist actions and to shut us down while allowing commercial passenger aviation is unfair and discriminatory.

If the president himself is going to be the cause of businesses losing money, then maybe he should stay home and watch Daytona on TV.

Please email your govenors, congressmen, state reps and others in government. They shut us down completely for 9 days during 9/11, and have demonstarted that they can and will do it again. Only way to see real change is to be heard in large numbers.

I am sending my emails as we speak

House of Representatives by state:
http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.html

President George W. Bush: [email protected]
Vice President Richard Cheney: [email protected]

Also Florida Representatives:
http://www.myfloridahouse.com/legislators.aspx

thanks folks

TK Hayes
Skydive City/Z-Hills

I work for the Feds in the DoD and the safety of the Prez comes first.

As it should. As I see it that's not the issue. The issue is the President's choice to attend a sporting event - one he could watch in comfort at the White House without impacting anyone's livelihood.

Personally I don't feel that appearing at or attending a sporting event is something that is required of the President, nor do I feel it is appropriate considering how many people will be not just inconvenienced but also hurt financially by the increased security required for him to be there.

Becoming an AOPA member and supporting their efforts is more effective. They are the ones that helped get us back in the air after 9/11. They don't win all their battles (Re: Meigs Field), but they have some lobbyists that make some headway.

Becoming an AOPA member and supporting their efforts is more effective.

That may be very true but I am here to tell everyone that you will not win any battles especially when it comes to the President's security. There simply won't be any compromises regardless of how much people complain. This subject comes up every time the President flys anywhere near someones DZ and it gets shut down. Do a search, you will find some long threads and interesting posts.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

That may be very true but I am here to tell everyone that you will not win any battles especially when it comes to the President's security. There simply won't be any compromises regardless of how much people complain. This subject comes up every time the President flys anywhere near someones DZ and it gets shut down. Do a search, you will find some long threads and interesting posts.

Agreed.

The funny part? If you read the TFR's - they basically ground GA and allow commercial flights. Last I checked it wasn't GA that was responsible for 9/11.

I just renewed my membership last week; anyone involved in aviation activities should participate.

Mine is up in two months, I will renew it then as well. And this is coming from someone that doesn't have any official logged time in a plane (hoping to re-enroll in flight school this summer). Their focus may be more for GA, but they are some of the bigger guns on the Hill that help with all aspects of aviation.

www.AOPA.org

I work for the Feds in the DoD and the safety of the Prez comes first.

As it should. As I see it that's not the issue. The issue is the President's choice to attend a sporting event - one he could watch in comfort at the White House without impacting anyone's livelihood.

Personally I don't feel that appearing at or attending a sporting event is something that is required of the President, nor do I feel it is appropriate considering how many people will be not just inconvenienced but also hurt financially by the increased security required for him to be there.

His (aka Rove's) decision has zero to do with his love of NASCAR, and everything to do with the election campaign. They are targeting NASCAR fans.

GA suffers just so Bush can campaign.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I think you'll have no luck at all complaining to the feds.

I do think you'll get a lot more value out of complaining locally. After all, cities don't have to invite presidents to come visit. Only if local governments start complaining will things change.

My beef is that whenever the president comes near Chicago they shut down entire extressways and downtown arteries. Hundreds of thousands of people get stuck in traffic for hours because of the backup. It's a major headache. Thankfully, its a rare occurance.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I think you'll have no luck at all complaining to the feds.

I do think you'll get a lot more value out of complaining locally. After all, cities don't have to invite presidents to come visit. Only if local governments start complaining will things change.

My beef is that whenever the president comes near Chicago they shut down entire extressways and downtown arteries. Hundreds of thousands of people get stuck in traffic for hours because of the backup. It's a major headache. Thankfully, its a rare occurance.

NIMBY, The locals also get stuck with the extra cost of law enforcement which is not reimbursed. If the local citizens got to vote on the president passing thru their town I don't think it would pass.

IMO suck it up TK welcome to the real world:o. It may be your DZ but not your world. Your customers and bosses will know it's for the good of the country and just the cost of doing business.:)
R.I.P.

GA suffers just so Bush can campaign.

Make that

"(Enter anyone/thing on this planet) suffers just so Bush can (whatever)"

[:/]
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

Becoming an AOPA member and supporting their efforts is more effective. They are the ones that helped get us back in the air after 9/11. They don't win all their battles (Re: Meigs Field), but they have some lobbyists that make some headway.

Yeehaaa you're right. Those boys are second only to the NRA for effective lobbying and representation of their members. I'm proud to have maintained my membership for the last 14 years -- even though I wasn't flying for 11 of those. I got my ten-year pin a few years back and I guess I'm due for my 15 year pretty soon, if they have one.

Join AOPA and USPA and NRA if you haven't already. :)
P.S. I'm under the impression that the TFR follows the president wherever he goes. It's asinine. I hear that Texas suffers greatly under this b.s. policy. At the very least, it should not be a friggin' THIRTY MILE RADIUS. That's a huge area, needlessly huge.

Watch as government grows ever bigger and freedom grows ever smaller. It's happening right before our eyes.

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

yup, if you have nothing better to do then go ahead and write letters but this is what always happens when the president goes anywhere you just haven't noticed it before because it didn't directly affect you.

Waste of breath and time to whine and complain - it's just the way it is!