drakeshelby

How often do you get scared skydiving?

This way, the discipline to check my gear never changes - in fact, it may get better as my experience of more danger in the sport increases.

I guess that part of the skydive never goes away. I am now learning to pack. I was doing so last night and got very frustrated when my roommate stopped me in the middle of something to correct my mistake. My frustration was because if I couldn't get it right (he had stopped me at this point before), how was I ever going to be able to jump my own pack job. . .would I be willing to jump my own pack job. . .it scared me. . .but in a sense, I believe this was a good thing because it will probably make me do a good job when I pack and jump my own. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

I think I am most nervous on the ride to altitude in which case it peaks just as they call door and I'm moving towards it. In the air, all fear leaves because it is so exciting and all the adrenaline finally has an output.

I was however scared more than usuall on my next jump after my first malfunction which occured pretty early on - my 11th jump

Looking back on it I am SO glad I had a Mal so early in my jumping career because now I have the confidence in myself because i know how to quickly asses and deal with a problem just like i was trained to do.

so mostly all that is left is the good bit of fear that keeps us all safe.

;)

The first 2000' in the plane (I have no control) the rest of the plane is no problem because I can get out
if it has a failure. As for the skydive, yup I am scared
and I dont expect it to go away, the more jumps I have the type of concern (scared) changes. One thing about being scared is it keeps one focused.

nervous/excited/anxious/eager/jazzed/pumped

I'm thinking a lot of people are confusing any intense feeling in the sport with something called 'fear'.

Being excited does not equal fear.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Well, I have 28 jumps and somewhere after my 20th jump I got over most of my fear.... don't get me wrong, I still get nervous, but nothing like before... hell, skydiving wouldn't be as fun if you didn't get that little 'punch' in the stomach on the plane ride up.... But as soon as i'm out the plane (assuming the dive flow goes without malfunctions) I'm cool...

Oh and when I try new things (like different exits, etc.)... the excitement and that little 'punch' of fear mix to make the jump all that more exciting... In fact sometimes I think my little hint of fear is more excitement then fear....

It almost scares ME that I'm not as fearful as before... I think I'm beginning to get the mind set that I'm invincible ... I want to try everything and think I won't ever get hurt.... AND I really really really don't want to have that mind set.... [:/]

~Sarah:ph34r:

I get very apprehensive on every jump. I've grown to like that feeling. At that point I'm not thinking about anything thats wrong in my life. I am 100% percent in the moment. It is relaxing to not want to think about anything but the skydive.

B|I completely agree... I think that's why this sport is damn addicting.;)

Sarah:ph34r:

I get nervous every time I am first out and I have to open the door and spot.... What scares me is not the spotting part, it's the fact that i have to stick my head out fully and hang at the door.
For some irrational reasons, I am scared of falling out :S:S:S No Joke!
But then again when I determine the spot is good I get up and do my thing and jump out with no fear...

I think it might have to do with the fact that my brain see falling out is not like jumping out... [:/]

"We see the world just the way we are...

Occasionally my Pilot Chute is difficult to pull out of my BOC. The first time I experienced this -- I was on boarder line panic... then I relaxed, gave a good tug and free'd my Gorgeous zero p canopy and glided home for a finish to a great skydive.

I do get some anxiety when I try to perform with people that I jump with. I'm always anxious to do well so people continue to want to jump with me. However I don't have any fears that stand out whatsoever.

;)

I can see your point. But I think about getting killed on every skydive. Yes, on EVERY skydive. {sorry if the harshness of this freaks people out, but it's true} And immediately after I think about being six feet under, I think about safety. These thoughts alone force me to think about the jump and the skydivers who are flying on the jump. Perhaps the word for it isn't "FEAR". Maybe it is a compilation of the words that Firstime posted and more. Either way, it forces me to feel enough discomfort to meditate about the jump and the safety of my rig.

So, do I welcome nervousness, fear, anxiety, apprehension, etc. ? ABSOLUTELY!!! If I didn't, I would be dead by now - many of us would.

What scares me is not the spotting part, it's the fact that i have to stick my head out fully and hang at the door.

That's really funny to me, because for some reason... spotting ... or sticking my head out of the plane next to the person who is spotting:D... always made me feel less nervous (and this was when i had like 10-15 jumps).... It's twisted I know ... but what can I say?

~Sarah:ph34r:

Anyone who claims to not feel any fear at some point in every skydive is either brain dead or lying.

That's untrue.
As Ron pointed out, there are situations that will get my blood pumping, but aside from those unusual and undesirable isolated moments, I don't get scared or nervous or anxious...or whatever...when I skydive.
Also as Ron pointed out, it's very similar to driving. When I first started driving, I had plenty of apprehension getting behind the wheel. It goes away. That doesn't mean that I'm complacent or braindead or lying. Not everyone's the same.

Stay safe,
Mike

If you're gonna' be stupid, well, then you're most likely stupid.

After 1000 jumps I'm still very scared before every jump and terrified at pull time.

I wasn't really scared of jumping until I had a nasty malfunction where I ended up temporarily tangled in my reserve lines.. however, I'm glad that happened, that fear has lead to me being very safety conscious.

And the scary part makes it all the more fun and exhilerating. :D

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

I get nervous every time I am first out and I have to open the door and spot.... What scares me is not the spotting part, it's the fact that i have to stick my head out fully and hang at the door.
For some irrational reasons, I am scared of falling out

I know it's odd my first was tandem from 13.5 and the ground didn't look real, then static line, .. let me tell you leaving an otter at 13.5 is so much easier then climbing out under the wing of a Cessna, at 3000 feet, that low the ground is very real, I could see my car in the lot by the hanger. My Instructor at SDC (I'm finishing their AFP course) teases me about how timid I am walking to the door, and then how fearlessly I leave once I'm there, I'll admit I don't like looking down from the door, its odd I'll catch worrying about falling out!

Good Judgment comes from experience...a lot of experience comes from bad
judgment.

How often do you get scared sky diving?

Every time I think about my jump-bill. But it's not scared - it's terrified coz I know my wife will find out yet again. Worst at boogies - intense fear after buying 50 to 60 jump-tickets sends me straight to nearest bar.

Blue Skies,

fergs:S

The first 2000' in the plane (I have no control) the rest of the plane is no problem because I can get out if it has a failure.

What fantasy world is this in? There are many things that can and do go wrong above 2000' where everyone could not exit safely... ie the tail being ripped off by a pre-mature depolyment...
Ganja

For some irrational reasons, I am scared of falling out :S:S:S No Joke!
But then again when I determine the spot is good I get up and do my thing and jump out with no fear...

I think it might have to do with the fact that my brain see falling out is not like jumping out... [:/]

LOL:)
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

understood, maybe your not getting my point.... get
out if the plane has an engine problem... If it's under 1000' do you get out???? would I??????????????..it depends on the what the pilot would say.

I cant believe I am engaging in this thread, must be the booze. If I go to bed now how are you all going to solve your problems while I am sleeping. Now I am laughing at myself.. be well, be safe.

The first 2000' in the plane (I have no control) the rest of the plane is no problem because I can get out
if it has a failure. As for the skydive, yup I am scared
and I dont expect it to go away, the more jumps I have the type of concern (scared) changes. One thing about being scared is it keeps one focused.

On takeoff and initial climb I try and not worry about what could happen. If the plane crashes, tough. I'll let the pilot fly it as far as he/she can and hope I live, I guess. This is a good time to breathe, look at the pretty stuff out the window, and pray to the Deity/ies of your choice. (For the record, I am a noninvasive monotheist.)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

What scares me is not the spotting part, it's the fact that i have to stick my head out fully and hang at the door.
For some irrational reasons, I am scared of falling out [:/]

I too can relate to that. Heck, I prefer no sitting right by a big plexiglass roll up door even...

Ganja